What's new

The inventor of "Chip Seal" must be exterminated! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You know that crap they throw down on the road. The "cheap" way to pave the road by dumping those little road chip that get mashed into a solid (by the cars tires). I HATE when they do this crap! I know it's cheap for the town, but all of those pieces go flying around...they end up in the lawns, they end up scrathcing your car, and the dust is pretty bad too.

:angry:

Kevin T

Screenwriter
and here i thought you were talking about the guy who made the giant clothes pin thingie for potato chip bags. hmmmm. who knew?

kevin t

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I thought you were talking about the guy who first glued foil to the top of a can of chips and made you peel it away before eating the first one.

Coincidentally, his name is Chip.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Don't you think extermination is a somewhat harsh punishment? Shouldn't it be saved for those who really deserve it, like Ben Burtt?

:)

DwightK

Second Unit
I am well aware of the wonders of chip sealed roads here in Idaho. It is the only road surface that is used. A layer of asphalt followed by oil and then small rocks/pebbles which are squished down to make a road bed by all the cars instead of road workers. Much cheaper, very good at preventing black ice (why it is used in the rockies) and guaranteed to chip your windshield. They even put up signs that say "Avoid Windshield Damage" when chip sealing. I nor anyone has any clue how to do this however. The rocks fly up everywhere for about a month.

Good surface for the snow months though.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I can't stand the stuff. When I was living in Seattle, they chip sealed the neighborhood I was in (Queen Anne hill for those interested). Being that the entire place is nothing but hills, I'm sure you can imagine the fun of trying to stop on a bunch of loose gravel. The first day after this was done, a Mercedes could not stop coming down a side street hill and slammed into a telephone pole. I had to park on a side street hill, and it was always hit or miss as to whether or not my car would actually stop when I parked it (this even happened when going very slowly down the hill to reach the parking area). My roommate had a few incidents where his car would start sliding after he had parked it and got out of the car! I think it's incredibly dumb to use this technique to pave hilly streets. I don't know how many insurance claims were made to the city for that area, but I hope it was a lot.

A

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, that's insane! Damn! Thank god everyone drove really slowly on that crap when they first threw it down. Besides the flying chips, I'd hate to think of not being able to stop.

I'm sure I've got a few nicks in my car from it and there's probably no way I can claim it (i.e. prove that it was the chip seal). So not only does my town get away with a cheap way to pave the roads, but they also get away with destorying many cars. :rolleyes Ah yes, the chip clip. Those, I have no quams with. In fact, I have several on the side of my fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks