The Invaders

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I loved The Invaders, but I would also like to someday get a complete set of Roy Thinnes' previous series, Long Hot Summer, from 1965, which lasted one full season. The series was one of the last made in B&W and was one of the first TV dramas filmed as a serial -what nowdays would be called an 'arc'- basically because it was kind of an soap opera trying to follow Peyton Place's success, although based on a William Faulkner novel. Anyway, it was very good with great acting, including the great Nancy Malone as coprotagonist just after finishing her stay in Naked City. YouTube has -or had- full versions of the only 13 (of 26) episodes that seem to have survived.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
I loved The Invaders, but I would also like to someday get a complete set of Roy Thinnes' previous series, Long Hot Summer, from 1965, which lasted one full season. The series was one of the last made in B&W and was one of the first TV dramas filmed as a serial -what nowdays would be called an 'arc'- basically because it was kind of an soap opera trying to follow Peyton Place's success, although based on a William Faulkner novel. Anyway, it was very good with great acting, including the great Nancy Malone as coprotagonist just after finishing her stay in Naked City. YouTube has -or had- full versions of the only 13 (of 26) episodes that seem to have survived.
I placed the episodes of Long Hot Summer on YouTube. All episodes still exist but the other 13 are unavailable anywhere. As a 20th Century Fox series it seems unlikely the complete series will ever get a DVD release.

Reactions: Flashgear

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Since The Invaders was shot in 35mm, it would be a great show to do a HD remaster if the 35mm negatives still exist. They could add teh HD versions to CBS ALL Access (or whatever the new CBS streaming service will be called) and license the blu-ray rights to Kino Lorber (since Kino has released some prior CBS DVD shows like Haunted) or Shout Factory (which has been releasing select Paramount titles to Scream Factory

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that there must not be any HD masters yet, since the MeTV version of the episodes are fairly poor-quality (visually).

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I think the MeTV masters are based on old copies provided to stations for syndication. The DVDs look better even though Paramount never bothered to clean the show for DVD. I think a small budget to remaster would be sufficient and even scanning the original negatives wouldn't be as costly as say Star Trek since I think they can just uprez the effects scenes since I doubt there would be any budget to redo the effects which are very little in the show anyway.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I think they can just uprez the effects scenes since I doubt there would be any budget to redo the effects which are very little in the show anyway.
As this was made in the '60s, the show was shot 100% on film, so "uprezzing" the effects isn't necessary. The effects would be just as 'dirty' as the original effects in 1960s Star Trek, since the original elements probably no longer exist and if they did, would be, as you say, too costly to re-composite and edit back in.

The reason 1960s Trek's effects weren't cleaned up is that the original individual elements (ship shot, phaser beam shot overlay, etc) no longer exist, due to the Roddenberrys' raid on the Trek film library in the late '60s. All that's left are the composite shots as-used in the episodes (all the individual film layers showing the completed effect). That was one of the justifications for the 're-imagined' effects, to compensate for the sudden graininess/reduction in image quality every time there was an FX shot.

It's not about resolution (like it was with Next Generation)...it's about multiple layers of film on top of each other, with dust/dirt in between them.

Reactions: Blimpoy06

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I wonder where the 35 mm film negatives would be stored if they still exist and who owns them, and do some film collectors have the original negatives in their collections

Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
The original full length pilot episode of The Invaders has not been released on DVD, Would it not be a good idea to release this version of the pilot with extras on bluray to test its popularity prior to a possible full bluray release? It would also be good to have a book about the series like the Marc Cushman books on Lost in Space.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The original full length pilot episode of The Invaders has not been released on DVD, Would it not be a good idea to release this version of the pilot with extras on bluray to test its popularity prior to a possible full bluray release? It would also be good to have a book about the series like the Marc Cushman books on Lost in Space.
The extended 60-minute version of Beachhead is included on season 1 disc 5 of the 2008 Paramount dvd release.

Reactions: Blimpoy06

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat