What's new

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I also liked the way Roy Thinnes played the role of David Vincent. His paranoia and distance made me feel like the world was really under attack, which seemed to be the point of the series. I always felt like something big was at stake, and found it to be an edge-of-my-seat kind of drama, even though I watched it as an adult. I also loved the way David Janssen played his role in the Fugitive, but they were two completely different characters in different settings. Richard Kimble was a tortured soul, and the stories were mostly (excellent) character studies. I don't think the Invaders would have worked if David Vincent wasn't so mad at the bad guys.

And I preferred Robert Lansing as the general in 12 O'Clock High. That season seemed grittier and darker, more in keeping with a world at war. While I like the series with Paul Burke, those two seasons did not seem to have as much punch.
Not that it would/could have happened, but it’s interesting to imagine an Invaders starring Lansing. Probably wouldn’t have made it an entire season, but would be remembered as a dark, paranoid, milestone. With Lansing’s world weariness, even the (very) occasional light moments Vincent had probably wouldn’t have existed. Lansing is the only QM related star I could picture in the role.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I liked the way that David Vincent spied out his enemies upon entering a new situation each week and gave a disgusted sort of look when he realised that the chauffer had a crooked pinky or the guys working on the wires and with the electrics were sparking on and off and unharmed! And this is before he meets his new enemy of the week be that an alien leader or a distrusting Mayor and or townsperson! Great show and concept that sadly didn't continue!
JB

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I watched "The Spores" yesterday. It's a Season Two episode that features a ton of recognizable actors including Gene Hackman in one of his last TV roles before becoming a huge star in films. John Randolph does a fine turn as a policeman in this episode, along with a pre-MASH Wayne Rogers. The ever-present Noam Pitlik is here as is Patricia Smith, a veteran of many QM shows. She plays wife to Mark Miller, who some might remember as the father in PLEASE DON'T EAST THE DAISIES. Curiously, one of his sons in that series is also present here as young Brian Nash plays the freckled-face kid. Add in Vince Howard, veteran of many 60s series and you've got a recipe for a fun hour.

The story has David Vincent and head invader Gene Hackman both following the trail of a missing hard case full of alien spores that passes from hand to hand among the large cast. At times amusing, and other times violent, the chase leads to
the friendship of David Vincent and John Randolph's character, with the promise of reuniting someday.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Aside from the guest cast, one reason I like that episode (The Spores) is that I often go by one of the locations in it. This is David Vincent outside the Phillipsburg Police Station.

MV5BYTM1YjgyMzAtN2RlZC00NWFlLWJhNDAtMjk3ZGIzNGE1YTE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyNjY0NjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

In actuality, this is the entrance to The Lot, as it is currently named, at 1041 N. Formosa Ave., West Hollywood, CA. It's on the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Formosa.

7c7e3080c38a7e2762929efa0e3a3f60.jpg

It's been around for over 100 years under different names such as Pickford-Fairbanks, United Artists, Samuel Goldwyn Studios, Warner Hollywood and now The Lot.

b47f117ec02af53d27b3f9879dfa1a127f1dae42

Right across the street from this entrance is the Formosa Cafe.

For many many years Quinn Martin Productions was based on this lot where most of the interiors for his series were filmed. I remember hearing about a fire in the mid-70's that burned some of the Barnaby Jones and Cannon sets.

I found some info, it happened on Christmas day of 1975:
https://www.fireengineering.com/leadership/fire-ruins-2-goldwyn-tv-stages/#gref

Last edited:

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The spores with their greasy growing heads looked quite revolting I remember and didn't some of the characters feel sick at the sight of them or was it their smell or bacteria perhaps?
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks