1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review The Invaders: The Complete Series DVD Review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Hough, May 31, 2018.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Has anyone got a different screening order for The Invaders? No one anywhere seems to know how to answer this one!!!
    JB

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I've seen the extended 60-minute version of the "Beachhead" pilot first, then I'll probably soon jump into the regular episodes (I don't know if that's what you mean or not; maybe I'm incorrect).

3. johnnybear

John
    Well, no! Every channel shows the series in the same old order. I'm wondering if there is a channel that showed them in another ordering as such? Most shows are screened in varying orders on different channels except The Invaders!
    JB

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I'm not sure why anyone would want or need an episode order other than the official and original air-date order. I suppose there could be a production order, but am unaware of any real discrepancies between the air-date and the production date. I guess one could look at the production numbers, if they are given in the end credits, to find out which episodes would be changed.

The bottom line is that this is a sixties episodic television series. It was designed to be an hour's-worth of entertainment that you could watch in any order. If you liked what you saw one week, there'd be another one next week - a complete, self-contained story that neatly wrapped up at the end. That's the way TV was in those days.

THE INVADERS of course had a large story - the potential invasion of Earth by aliens, and one man's efforts to stop them. That was the overriding theme of the show. And as such, it has a beginning - "Beachhead" - that should be seen first. Then, any episodes at all can be seen following it, up to "The Believers". That episode gave David Vincent some allies and should be the start of all of the latter episodes, and they in turn can be seen in any order following "The Believers".

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That is the way it was indeed, with exceptions now and then where one story took up two episodes (like the two-parter to open up the fifth and final go of The Streets of San Francisco in 1976, "The Thrill Killers," where Michael Douglas' Steve Keller character gives way to Richard Hatch's Dan Robbins character).

Darby67 likes this.
  6. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Sure - any two-parter needs to be seen in sequence. I just checked the end credits of some S1 episodes and there are no production numbers listed there. But I would suspect that episode three, "The Mutation", was likely the second episode produced due to its different end credit theme music.

It was likely separated from the pilot by inserting "The Experiment" at #2 due to its similarity in overall storyline.

Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Which, me just recently having gotten CBS' Invaders both-in-one, I have yet to get to.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    So the reviewer of the set, and noone else, can comment on the disc packaging?

bmasters9 likes this.
  9. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    MeTV runs all of their shows in the same order as they originally ran in prime time on the main broadcast networks.

johnnybear likes this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Two discs apiece on each of six "pages," one on top of the other (each "page" has the arrangement reversed; one has the top disc over the bottom, and the other, vice versa, all the way through).

11. Sadsack

David
    Thanks. So only one disc to juggle when picking out discs to watch, that's not so bad as some of the other complete releases. The Mary Tyler Moore set requires you to juggle 4 discs.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Not a problem-- so do those from CBS of The Untouchables and The Streets of San Francisco, among others!

Here's how it is from my copy of that Streets one:

streetsstackeddiscs1. streetsstackeddiscs2.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. Message #33 of 36 Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Sadsack

David
    An exception to piling on each other (if what I've seen is accurate) is the Night Gallery Complete set which has all single-disc hubs on each side of the "pages." It's 12 discs so I'm surprised they didn't streamline like this Invaders 12-disc set.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. johnnybear

John
    Star Trek has airdate order, Production order, Stardate order and even the dreaded BBC order! The same goes for Space 1999, Lost in Space third season, Land of The Giants, UFO and many other series! Only The Invaders has no info on production order or any other order than it's usual one!
    JB

15. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    I have an interest in seeing The Invaders at some point. I wasn't around when the show first aired in the '60's, but did hear older relatives talk with fondness about the series. I am a fan of the original The Outer limits (b&w), and though I know that was an anthology series & TI is a regular weekly series - they're both from the same general era.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and johnnybear like this.
  16. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    You can almost consider THE INVADERS to be an anthology. Each week, David Vincent, in his quest, becomes involved in the lives of that week's guest stars, as they either help or hinder his search for proof of the alien invasion.

If you're at all familiar with THE FUGITIVE, or ROUTE 66, it's very much patterned after that type of show.