What's new

The "insane stuff you'd love to build but never will" thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Yes, Greg is a great guy. I'll get to hear his setup next month. The DIY Atlanta event is about 3 miles from his house. Think there may be a few horns in that place? ;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
But did he talk you into trying to offer a Unity Horn Kit in your new adventure ;)

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Bill, if your wall is 8'x16' and you can use about 90% of it's area, you only need 1mm from the ESL to generate 120dB @ 20Hz.
FYI, that's instant ear damage. And probably a concussion when your roof caves in on you. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
All my reading disaggrees Dan.

120dB in the voice frequencies would quickly damage your hearing (not instantly, but quickly). But at 20hz I think it would take a while. If it didn't, Tom Vodhanel, Bob Sorel and James W Johnson would have gone deaf a long time ago.

Also if 120dB caused instant hearing loss then anyone who attends a full orchestra could be in trouble, as peaks of 130dB in the front rows aren't unheard of.

You have to be careful with your hearing, and I am, but short bursts of bass in excess of a 120dB aren't a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks