"The Innocents" needs a DVD release!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm still perplexed that Fox has never released this great film on DVD. I'm wondering if there might be any reasons for its omission. I really thought it would have been released as a tie-in when "The Others" was released on DVD.

Anyway, for those with a multi-region player, it is being released in Australia on May 30th:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/779661

2. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I share your puzzlement about Fox not releasing 'The Innocents' in R1. I'm wondering whether it might be one of the titles they've licenced to Criterion, in which case, we could presumably expect a Criterion release within the next few months. But I'm just speculating - has anyone heard anything more definite about this?

Meanwhile I might invest in the Australian release as a stop-gap, although the website is not confirming the aspect ratio of the DVD, which is slightly worrying.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It seems like a natural for the Studio Classics series.

4. Tyler Ruggeri

Tyler Ruggeri Stunt Coordinator

That definitely seems like it would make a great Studio Classics release. Terrific performances from Pamela Franklin and Deborah Kerr. If they can put out Return to Peyton Place, they can surely give this one a try.

Tyler Ruggeri

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Long overdue. [​IMG]

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Australian release?! Great! That'll do me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

AV Channel are probably the best independant Australian DVD company. That's not to say that they haven't made the odd mistake in the past (dodgy Walkabout transfer) but recently, they have been excellent: Long Weekend, Juliet of the Spirits. I don't believe that they have ever released a 2.35:1 movie in P&S and all their recent widescreen releases have been anamorphic.

They are also releasing what seems to be an excellent SE of Godard's hard-to-see, La Chinoise on 25th May: http://www.avchannel.com.au/CatIndex...?CatNo=MMA2292

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    THE INNOCENTS --a perfect candidate for either a Fox Studio Classics release, or the Criterion treatment. Whoever releases it, I will buy it.

8. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I've also heard that the BFI now own the rights to THE INNOCENTS in the UK, and will be re-releasing it in cinemas in 2005, followed by a DVD release.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

10. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

The aspect ratio for "The Innocents" is 2.35:1....anything less would horribly compromise the film...so beware before you get that 1.77 version.
    R! wise- please Fox release "The Innocents" on DVD in its 2.35:1 soon!

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I emailed Umbrella Entertainment about the aspect ratio and got this response:

Reassuring response. I look forward to seeing for myself, though.