The infamous question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Noah_B, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Noah_B

Noah_B Auditioning

Well hello,
    First post hear but I've trolled the boards for a little while now, picking up bits and pieces of info. But now since I am seriously considering getting a new setup to replace my failing 36" Sony no frills TV, I have looked into both RPTV and projectors and have a few questions starting off with perhaps the most infamous...
    Which one gives you better image quality and is either one truly digital? My first impressions of a projector TV were from a old friends house of mine who had one of those old Red/Green/blue (think) projectors and I remember the picture looking grainy, unusually bright, and generally bad. I'll assume this has changed but is the image of a high end (3-4k) projector just as good if not better than a high end CRT or RPTV?
    But all things considered, what would your opinions be on getting a projector to replace a TV for a family room? I don't have much control over the light but I'm looking for the best quality expierence I can get and I'm not sure which way I should go..
    The more I look at a projector setup the more it intrigues me but just as well if I do go with a projector, what are my options for the display itself (the screen the projector displays onto)?
    All your opinions and comments are welcome with open arms, as I'm still sorta stumbling around in the dark when it comes to projectors..
    Thanks for giving the n00b a chance,
    Noah B.
    draalranger@hotmail.com

2. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

I don't speak from experience but I'd say a projector is going to best supplement, not replace a TV. The primary reason for this being that a projector bulb replacement will run you roughly $250-$500 on average.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If you can't control the light in the room, forget a front projector. Also, I agree that you wouldn't want your kids watching six hours of TV on a projector every day since you'll have to replace the bulb every 2000 or so hours at $200+ per bulb.

IMHO, a front projector is a real Home Theater thing, right down to the dark room and saving it for movies, and not a good substitute for normal TV viewing.

Jan

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I agree with the 2 previous posts. If you can control the ambient light, and if you will be not be needing it to watch every day TV then I say go for it. Really, a lot has to do with what your budget will be. Take a look at this thread which has a couple of other threads in it that deal with this topic.