What's new

The Incredibles Is, Well...Just Incredible! (1 Viewer)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Andy

May I ask what you were using for a DVD player and playback monitor? I checked the DVD in the scenes you mentioned in your review and never noticed a hint of jaggies, chroma issues or dot crawl. I watched the end of the film twice looking just for those things and never saw a thing. I used a NEC plasma and a Denon DVD-5910. I also tried the same scenes on a Sony HS-20 with a Denon DVD-5900.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor

I checked again for this and could not find any. As a reference, I was watching on a Sharp XV-Z10000 with a Denon DVD-5900.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A and a JVC I'Art 56" rear projection TV.

Best place to spot them is after the RV has crashed into a parking space, when Mr. Incredible is about to go off and fight the robot golf ball, and the missus grabs him and they argue. His whole body was aliased on my TV.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Andy

That particular Pioneer player is one of the worst in regards to chroma issues because of its MPEG decoder. What you are seeing is a result of the player, not the disc.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. how come I didn't see this in a single review of the player? I must have read a dozen before buying it.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Andy

A good reference to use before buying DVD players is the Progressive Scan Shootout at hometheaterhifi.com

I don't have enough posts to post a direct link yet, but at the bottom of the homepage there is a link that reads "Benchmark." Click it and then enter in the type and manufacturer info under advanced search. Click "Get Results" and at the bottom of the next page you can read their comments on the DV-45A. They're not pretty.

A salesman tried to pressure my dad into buying a DV-45a to go along with his new PRO-530HD monitor. Thankfully he had seen the review at the shootout and was able to ward the salesman off.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

The only thing you need to read is the shoot out linked above.

You can avoid nonsense subjective bullshit from failed journalism students who write for these various internet electonic sites (who live on free products): At the shoot out you get solid bench tests revealing the heart of the matter.

As a side note, I always find it interesting when these situations happen: outspoken criticism of a particular release turns out to be poor equipment or improper configurations. Goes to show you that you have to really pay attention when reading user reviews of anything.

-V

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
All right guys, give me 3-5 decks I should check out at the local HT stores. Money IS an object. Keep em under $500. And Denon's 2200 is out of the question. I had one for evaluation and didn't like it. It had a lot of problems with Asian DVDs, including Hero.

Have you tried one of those Minitek players with the built-in 7" screen that you can get at Media Play for parents whose kids aren't sufficiently entertained by playing "I Spy"?

I mean, since the expensive stuff isn't working for you? ;)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Hey Andy

Nope, not going to blame your TV, going to blame the MPEG decoder. The Incredibles has some material encoded with an alternating 3-2 flag in the chroma channels. The Denon 2900 uses a Mitsubishi MPEG decoder that doesn't handle that well (same MPEG decoder Pioneer used!!). This is why I recommended the 3800. Any of the newer Denon's will handle it properly. Any Faroudja based player will mask the problem too. It gets harder and harder to find a good DVD player as you become pickier and pickier about video. Trust me on this.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Of those two I would go with the 2300. Is it the 2300MKII or the original 2300 though? The original 2300 had the cross color suppressor defaulted to ON which caused some flickering in colors at times. The new 2300MKII has some Pb/Pr delay but that may or may not affect you with real world material.

The 1910 uses the newer Faroudja chip so there is a chance you'll have macroblocking issues with your display.

Don't you love it!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
An RP-82 is ideal but they are hard to find. I think there are some on Ebay right now, but I don't know what you'll have to pay for them.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
It's a 2300, not a MkII. Shame, because it's open box, so I can get it for $350. Can I turn off that cross color suppressor? Is that the only change between the 2300 and MkII?

Looks like Panasonic has quite a few winners on your site, Kris. CP72, XP30. Hadn't really considered Panasonic before.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The older Panasonic's were a rare breed. The MPEG decoder was just about perfect and they were using the older Faroudja chip that didn't have the issues the new one has. The audio (DVD-A, CD) isn't in the same league but the video was excellent. The 2300 is based on the same platform but they screwed up the CCS setting. There were some other slight differences between the MKII and the normal one but they were mainly in the features and not the video.

There is a brand new XP-30 on Ebay right now and maybe a RP-82. Those wouldn't be bad. If you need anymore help feel free to PM me, I would be happy to give you a hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks