What's new

THE INCREDIBLES (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo) Coming Spring 2011! (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Did anybody else notice this? This movie was awesome and funny! And, it's nice to see that it's going to be a combo. Now, if the price ain't too high, I might actually be able to pick this mother up.

SUPERHEROHYPE: We've received our copy of the Toy Story 3 Blu-ray, which included a nice surprise - a flyer announcing the release of Brad Bird's The Incredibles on Blu-ray in Spring 2011! The film earned $631 million worldwide in theaters in 2004.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Niiice... although I'm not sure this one would benefit quite that much from 1080p as most of the other Pixar titles. But yeah, I'll probably redip on BD+DVD if the price is right -- and it has been so far for all these Disney/Pixar catalog titles (after whatever release week promos/coupons).

_Man_

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another Pixar title I can't be objective about: it's my favorite Pixar apart from Toy Story 2. I think the Blu-ray should be surreal once they get to the island. Really looking forward to this.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Niiice... although I'm not sure this one would benefit quite that much from 1080p as most of the other Pixar titles.

Why do you say that?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My favorite Pixar offering, period. Great news.

This was/is reference quality on DVD for both picture and sound, and I have great expectations for the BluRay.

Brian

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm excited. Hopefully, it will be an early Spring release date. The sooner, the better.

-R

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Been waiting for this one. I think it's the best of Pixar's movies, which is saying something since they're 11-for-11 now.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's not my favorite Pixar, but it's the only pre-Blu Pixar that I never bought, so at least I don't have to decide whether to double-dip.

Bring on Nemo!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by cafink

As someone else noted, the DVD was pretty much reference quality already, and unlike most of the other Pixar titles, the animation style looks more like traditional Disney than usual, but all done in digital (so no analog-related source issues), which probably means the PQ diff between the BD and good upconversion/processing from the reference DVD won't be as great. It's probably gonna be a lot like Kung Fu Panda for instance -- and honestly, I never really feel like that BD looks that much better than what I'd expect from a reference DVD version of it (provided you apply good upconversion/processing).

Probably another good point of comparison might be Meet the Robinsons (although that one actually looks a tad more like typical Pixar than the Incredibles, IMHO) -- and I simply went w/ the DVD on that one instead of spending the extra for BD.

Of course, that's just my own opinion/speculation on this.

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
About freakin' time! My favorite Pixar movie finally comes to Blu. This will be a release date purchase for sure.

And Man, I have to respectfully disagree. No matter how well a "perfect DVD" is upscaled, it is still not going to result in anywhere near the same quality as true BD quality. In fact, most "perfect DVDs" are Pixar titles, and I can see a night-and-day difference between my Pixar DVDs and BDs. I don't expect any less of a difference from The Incredibles.

It doesn't matter how good the upscaling of a DVD is. The reality is that DVD at 720x480 = 345,600 pixels. BD at 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels. That's literally 6X as many pixels. That means for every DVD pixel, you have 6 different, potentially unique pixels for BD. Even the best upscaling algorithm can't make a single DVD pixel anywhere near the equivalent of those six unique BD pixels. Caveat: if you're running a monitor at less than 1920x1080, or if your screen size is small and your viewing distance is far, the difference does tend to get minimized. But at my seating distance of 9' on a 60" Sony SXRD, the difference is very easy to see.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My favorite Pixal movie, I am there on release day. This is great news!

Now all we need is Nemo and all Pixar films will be on Blu!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

And Man, I have to respectfully disagree. No matter how well a "perfect DVD" is upscaled, it is still not going to result in anywhere near the same quality as true BD quality. In fact, most "perfect DVDs" are Pixar titles, and I can see a night-and-day difference between my Pixar DVDs and BDs. I don't expect any less of a difference from The Incredibles.

It doesn't matter how good the upscaling of a DVD is. The reality is that DVD at 720x480 = 345,600 pixels. BD at 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels. That's literally 6X as many pixels. That means for every DVD pixel, you have 6 different, potentially unique pixels for BD. Even the best upscaling algorithm can't make a single DVD pixel anywhere near the equivalent of those six unique BD pixels. Caveat: if you're running a monitor at less than 1920x1080, or if your screen size is small and your viewing distance is far, the difference does tend to get minimized. But at my seating distance of 9' on a 60" Sony SXRD, the difference is very easy to see.

Differ all you want, but I know that argument, and I sit ~9ft from my 61" DLP too.

Truth is not all content are equal when we consider upconversion. Some will upconvert much better than others and get much closer to the true 1080p version. And I suspect that's the case w/ The Incredibles relative to other Pixar titles and more like the traditional Disney look. The Incredibles just doesn't have the same level/kinds of details that many other Pixar titles have, and it has more of the flat/2D comic book art look w/out the level of details that great comic art would have (to help make a bigger diff). And near as I can tell, what it does have is probably much easier to interpolate than most other cases. Now, I'm not saying the best upconversion/processing will make a reference DVD of it look identical to the actual BD, but I'm guessing it'll come much closer in this instance than in others for Pixar titles. Most of the diff will probably come down to color me thinks w/ the luminosity res making signficantly less diff.

_Man_

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have The Incredibles on DVD and have seen it in HD on one of the Disney Channels and there is no comparison. The HD version blows away the DVD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, like I said, that's just my guess about the likely quality upgrade. I'd gladly buy the BD, if I'm wrong -- and I have been wrong before of course. Well, I'd probably buy it anyway as long as the price is right and it offers a decent upgrade, which I don't doubt it would. I just didn't think it would be "night and day" kind of upgrade and figured it'd be more like the kind of upgrade we see from Beauty and the Beast (plus a touch of the Pixar 3D look) sans the restoration/(over-)cleanup aspect -- yes, I'm actually not that crazy about the overly "clean" look of the various Disney classics on BD. IOW, as I mentioned earlier, I'm guessing it'll probably look like the diff between the DVD and BD of Kung Fu Panda -- and I'm guessing at least some folks do feel that case to be "night and day"...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks