What's new

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Series — Universal re-release coming November 21, 2017 (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Incredible-Hulk-The-Complete-Series/23624

It's releases like this that make me scratch my head. The five individual season sets have been available for several years (both original lenticular-cover and more-recent slimcase versions) for less than $10. Now this repackaged Complete Series set is coming, priced at $125!!! That would be more than a blu-ray set would cost if released by Mill Creek! Perhaps Universal is making one last effort to squeeze out any potential DVD revenue from this title before releasing a blu version (since HD masters already exist and were used for last year's UK blu release by Fabulous Films.)

The packaging sure looks bad. Why no Bill Bixby on the cover? Why use a PR shot of Lou without the white contact lenses? There were a few shots taken during that photo shot without the lenses, but why use one of them? There are plenty of iconic PR shots featuring both Bixby and Ferrigno that could be used. What's with the pale, mint-green color scheme? It should be a vibrant and "glowing" green like their previous covers. And why use a limp version of the title treatment on the wide spine, leaving all that dead space? Why not use the same, bold version of the title as used on the front cover? I know it could be temp art, but still.

TheIncredibleHulk_Complete_2017.jpg TheIncredibleHulk_Complete_EDIT.jpg

I have an original 4x5 transparency of the shot used for the cover, with Lou not wearing the white contacts. A few minutes in Photoshop restores it to how he should look on the cover:

HULK FIXED EYES.jpg

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I was hoping for a blu ray release too. I already have it on dvd. I have the individual seasons and the best of that was released a while back. The show looks pretty good on dvd. I can just imagine how great it would be on blu ray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You put "Complete Series" on the cover and that's worth $50 extra right there. Or at least they think so. People will buy it because they don't know about the single season issues.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Awful news.
Why is Universal retreading old ground with a SD DVD? What is this 2005?
No sale for this. But now I will buy the HD region locked Blu-Ray set.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The UK blu ray release is worth it if you can play Region B. All the commentaries by Kenneth Johnson are there along with all the other Universal extras. Picture quality is on par with other releases of the era on blu.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You put "Complete Series" on the cover and that's worth $50 extra right there. Or at least they think so. People will buy it because they don't know about the single season issues.

That's the one area CBS/Paramount excels in at this point... when they put "Complete Series" on a cover, that means the set is going to be dirt cheap for the amount of material you'll be getting.

Otherwise, you're right... complete series usually means more expensive.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I would've rather seen this be a Mill Creek set because that would almost have guaranteed a Blu release.

Wonder if there is a Marvel licensing issue which might prevent Universal from outsourcing The Incredible Hulk to somebody else (such as Mill Creek).

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Were those original releases (w/lenticular covers) single-sided discs or flippers? Always thought about nabbing those for display purposes, but not if they're flippers.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
if it's only for display, does it really matter?
Good question, Andy. I didn't say only for display purposes, but to clarify, I don't have the set in any form yet, so with this one, I'd like to have the lenticulars facing out, as opposed to the spines.

I try to break up the monotony of spines on my shelves by "displaying" a few covers here & there, ones that stand out a little. But yeah, the short answer is they'll be my viewing set too.

Sam, thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks