What's new

The Incredible Hulk complete series Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know this is already being discussed on another thread, but I wanted to start a thread dedicated to the upcoming BD set.

Looks like no subtitles, and a few special features are being omitted from the DVD set. I still pre-ordered it. $80 isn't a bad price point for a set like this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone seen the European release of this on blu-ray? I imagine this is using the same masters. Wonder how much of an upgrade it is, especially since the DVDs had a pretty good image as I recall.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
as others have said, it looks like its gonna be the same set , just in region 1 ntsc and blu ray mod . i’ve seen the fabulous set and for the most part the hd upgrade is very noticiable . it doesn’t seem as if it was a full restoration as some scenes look identical to the dvd. don’t know if its just bc of what universal provided them or what. however , the black crush is very evident in some scenes/episodes . i haven’t seen the elephant films set in person but the reviews say they fixed the black crush issue but the framing is off. the only issue with them is the pricing (around $150 reg. set or $200+for the deluxe set ) and it coming from France . also, its in a digipak case and not hardcases and the artwork is not my style but you may like it. it is region free so thats a plus. if you do get the new one , you might want to hold on to the dvd set bc of the black crush issue ( if it is indeed identical to the R2 set)

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Good release, and uncut (Death in the Family) compared to the all region Elephant films BD set. Contains subtitles. Packaging could be better as the trays that house the discs don't hold them too well.

Nice

Gordiac

Agent
Real Name
Gordon
Good release, and uncut (Death in the Family) compared to the all region Elephant films BD set. Contains subtitles. Packaging could be better as the trays that house the discs don't hold them too well.
Thank you very much for the subtitles information, Bryan! Now I can go & purchase this set knowing about it.

I remember the DVDs having a very good quality. Is this set any better?

Since I watch using my PC - is the "black crush" evident only on LCD TV screens?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thank you very much for the subtitles information, Bryan! Now I can go & purchase this set knowing about it.

I remember the DVDs having a very good quality. Is this set any better?

Since I watch using my PC - is the "black crush" evident only on LCD TV screens?
I think it is very solid upgrade in quality over the DVD. You should be impressed.

I haven't noticed "black crush" yet.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I’ll have to get this. I loved the show growing up. Lost something when they altered Ferrigno’s makeup and Ted Cassidy passed away. Ferrigno also wasn’t as ridiculously huge as in the first season. Still some great episodes later in the series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Some great individual episodes. My problem though was how it was forced to maintain this conceit where the "Gerard" figure (Jack McGee) can never confront Banner face to face (except in contrived situations) because he's too dense to realize that Dr. Banner is still alive. The failure to move things forward over the course of the series (at some point, McGree *should* have figured out the truth, but he would still be hamstrung from running it unless he actually "brought him in") in my opinion tended to stagnate things.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I always loved this series. Seasons 2, 3 and most of 4 are really top class work. But I totally agree about McGee. He should have been allowed to make headway and make the damned connection. Especially after the two part episode where he and Banner are stranded in the mountains together. Sure, Banner was behind bandages and his voice was a little hoarse at first, but he sounded very much like David Banner in the back half and considering how good McGee's memory was - as demonstrated in that episode - he should have at least had some suspicions. He met Banner's "evil twin" in one episode (which Banner passed himself off as when he and McGee came face to face), so he got to hear the voice and see the face. Finally in "Equinox" he had a very detailed conversation with Banner (while Banner's face was obscured) but holy crap, McGee was incredibly dense because if he realized Banner was alive, he'd plaster it all over his paper and that would be the end of the series.

However, taken individually, the best episodes were fantastic.

The blu rays look great and the only real downgrade in quality are in the episodic previews. They seem a generation down with their softness. Otherwise, no complaints here.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
My biggest annoyance with the series relates to the two parter “The First”. I like nearly everything about the story but you finally have a physical threat for the Hulk and decide , “Yeah 2 episodes is enough. Let’s not overdo it.” I mean that plot could’ve lasted longer to me.

Looking forward to seeing this show again though.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My biggest annoyance with the series relates to the two parter “The First”. I like nearly everything about the story but you finally have a physical threat for the Hulk and decide , “Yeah 2 episodes is enough. Let’s not overdo it.” I mean that plot could’ve lasted longer to me.

How long do you think it could have gone-- three or four episodes?

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Just seemed a shame to finally have something that threatens the Hulk and then after 2 episodes have him go back to fighting truck drivers. It would’ve been nice if the alternate Hulk popped up again in the season.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Honestly, considering how much Ken Johnson didn't want there to be comic book style action other than the title character, I'm surprised he wrote Prometheus and allowed The First to even happen. My only issue with The First was that Frye's Creature was too damned skinny. They couldn't find one older bodybuilder with a SAG card to use? Steve Reeves was still alive.

I think a two parter was as far as that concept was gonna go. It was cool to see the dark side of the power that Banner held. I would have preferred a longer final battle, though. Watching David freak out and change because his cure was ruined was great. I think it was a requirement for Bixby to cry in every two parter. He was really good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks