The Incident (1967, Larry Peerce) starring Martin Sheen: Why no DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, May 14, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The Incident (1967, Larry Peerce)

Currently $40-125 on Amazon's, Marketplace. The Laserdisc is so rare, that it doesn't even appear on Ebay.

Striking, menacing film shot in stark black and white on a sub-train, with excellent performances from Tony Musante, Martin Sheen and Beau Bridges.

The British theatrical release was rejected by the BBFC twice in January 1968. Amazingly, it has not been resubmitted since.

Perhaps one reason that it has been so hard to see over the years, is due to the fact that "the New York Transit Authority denied permission to film even background shots on its property, but the filmmakers shot them anyway. Cinematographer Gerald Hirschfeld and an assistant rode the subway with a hidden camera, and when its sound was noticed, they stopped and came back later to finish the job. Hirschfeld said in an interview that he filmed in black and white in order to get "the most realistic style of photography possible"; test shots were taken in muted color but they were deemed to distract from the desired "somber" effect." (from IMDb)

It's owned by Fox, who have many other gems languishing in their vaults that are currently extremely hard to see on any format, let alone DVD:

Bigger Than Life (1956)
    Deadline - U.S.A. (1952)
    Fate Is the Hunter (1964)
    Harry and Tonto (1974)
    The Incident (1967)
    Man Hunt (1941)
    Pretty Poison (1968)

It's great that The Man Who Never Was is finally being released, though.

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
  3. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

The Incident on DVD ? Count me in !

4. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

i am sure it is nothing more than a DVD-R

kinda funny he is selling s bootleg of BILLIE, DR GOLDFOOT AND HIS BIKINI MACHINE, LORD LOVES A DUCK, for 29 dollars when you can but the reel deal from MGM for under 10 bucks! or for that matter HOOKED GENERATIONS, GIDGET, FIREBALL 5000, BLOW UP, WILD IN THE STREETS, KI PARTY, GHOST IN INVISIBLE BIKINI, SKI PARTY, obviously a grey dealer who doesnt know these are available legit and in most cases gorgeous widescreen for half the fee he wants!

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I own the laser of this film but would love to see this on DVD. A tense and brutal exploration of people's reaction to a threatening situation.

And it was also Ed McMahon's finest hour in films!

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I REALLY want this one in a proper WS release.

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I"ve also been wanting a legit R1 THE INCIDENT DVD for quite some time now. Excellent flick.