What's new

The importance of DVI on a new RP? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I can pick up a Panasonic PT-53WX52 with screen shield for $1530 at a local shop. This looks like a pretty good buy, but it doesn't have a DVI connection. How important is having a DVI connection on a television purchased new right now? There are other units in the same relative price range that have DVI and I'm wondering if I should give them another look.

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
Also - what are your thoughts on the PT-53WX52? I've only found limited reviews on the web.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen the Panasonic PT-53WX52, but I know that the Sony KP46WT500 gets fantastic reviews and uses Panasonic CRTs.

I wouldn't sweat the lack of DVI today in your HDTV. In fact, if you want to be future-proof then I'd get a Firewire equipped TV. Anyway, I've read many white papers that basically say that there is no qualitative difference between analog component input and DVI. Sure, analog can degrade faster over long distances, but the maximum length of a DVI cable is 3 meters, so that basically kills it for anything more than a receiver tv connection (no front projection, no feeding from a media room, etc).

Firewire is snowballing in a BIG way. Business products are fast emerging with Firewire. Consumer products are just starting to emerge. DVI is NOT cost effective in the 21st century home. Plus DVI doesn't do networking.

What can Firewire do now? Imagine plugging a 160gb Maxtor external drive into your video camera for reading/writing of video. I can plug my Sony camera into my Windows XP machine via Firewire, through my ATI All in Wonder card. As soon as I do, I have full control of the camera and can begin editing video.

A Mitsubishi 711 series HDTV and Mitsubishis' Firewire capable components is one example of consumer 1394 that is available today. Plug your DVD into your HDTV, and the HDTV immediately displays a DVD icon and downloads the control codes for the DVD. Plug you camera or hard drive in, same thing happens. Want to record to the hard drive? No problem. Want to stream audio into your home network? No problem.

Anyone who thinks Firewire is dead is dead wrong. Look at the members of the 1394 Trade Association:

http://www.1394ta.org/About/Members/

This is a who's who of the consumer electronics landscape. Hollywierd lawyers have absolutely no chance against such an army of talented engineers :)

Sean.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I have 53WX42, I love it. I got for a great price at BB. Very good picture, easily tweakable. I just love it. No problems at all. Had it since Nov 02.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
If you want to use any of the new DVDplayers that upconvert to HD specifications, or any of the proposed HD-DVD formats, get a set with DVI-HDCP inputs -- because none of them will use component for anything above 480p.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

I seriously doubt that. Sony makes its own CRTs and picture tubes. Sony even manufactures the glass for its picture tubes, so it is extremely unlikely the largest manufacturer in the world sources out such essential components to its chief competitor.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I just had to make the same decision as you and I decided to wait. I had to pull the trigger by the 1st on a good deal but in the end I wanted to get an up-scalable dvd player eventually so I passed. Besides when I first hooked my computer monitor up with the DVI connection it was stunning at how crisp the picture became over VGA. Sean may be right about the marginal difference between component video but I have read quite a bit of information where the reviewer swears the DVI picture is better than the component, and with my experience with my pc, I decided to wait to find out.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator

Since Hollywood decides on what connection their content is output on it doesn't matter what the IEEE 1394 Trade Association wants. If the Hollywood studios want HDMI/DVI-HDCP for HD-DVD their is little that anyone can do to change their mind.

Ryan, from what I've seen of how things are developing I would recommend gettting a HDTV with DVI-HDCP or HDMI(will come out this year). If you are willing to wait a few months Panasonic is coming out with a HDTV that includes both an HDMI input and QAM compatiblity for HDTV cable (a recent standard for HDTV cable).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
IMO I would not buy an HDTV at this point in time without a DVi input on it, it will play a big roll in dvd's future. I also can't see the possibility of componant based dvd players (non computer drive) that will feature Firewire, but who knows.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Before anyone thinks I don't like Firewire, I personally find it to be a useful computer standard. It's also currently the only standard for recording HDTV which I think is necessary for ATSC to replace the old NTSC system in the United States and hopefully a good portion of the world. I just don't think that Hollywood will allow Firewire to be used for HD-DVD since they won't even allow it for DVD.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I seriously doubt that. Sony makes its own CRTs and picture tubes. Sony even manufactures the glass for its picture tubes, so it is extremely unlikely the largest manufacturer in the world sources out such essential components to its chief competitor.
The only evidence I have regarding my earlier statement that kp46wt500 uses Panasonic CRTs, is the technician who diagnosed the problem, ordered the replacements, and installed them, claims they are manufactured by Panasonic. If he is incorrect, then its my bad for spreading false information! I'll look into this more, out of personal curiousity. Such cross-pollination is common between competitors in other industries, like cars etc...

Sean.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
~$1500 is no longer that great a deal for the current Panny 53". It's a good deal for the wx52 model, but not exactly great. I suggest waiting for the upcoming Panny's w/ DVI/HDCP instead--should be coming this summer--if you like the Panny's in general. Might end up costing about the same since the upcoming 53" model should have a lower original MSRP.

There are RPTVs that do better in certain areas and/or w/ better/more features, but the Panny's are excellent bang-for-the-buck and don't really take a backseat for 16x9 DVD and HD viewing compared to most other RPTVs that cost more--some ISF guys, including HTF's highly reputable Gregg and Michael, even go so far as to compare ISF calibrated Panny's to non-ISFed Pioneer Elites that cost more than 2x as much. And the Panny's are quite tweakable, if you're reasonably handy.

Many HTFers (and members at other forum sites) own a Panny because of all of this. And YES, I own a 53wx42 too and LOVE it despite a few flaws...

_Man_

PS: If you go back and look for John CW's recent poll/survey thread on TVs owned by HTFers, you'll find plenty of happy Panny owners offering their $.02 there.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, for $1K, I wouldn't worry about DVI/HDCP unless you feel the extra HD-capable input is important--it might be if you need exactly 3 such inputs, eg. HD receiver, DVD player plus X-box, and would otherwise need a high quality switcher.

To me, if/whenever DVI/HDCP becomes a big obstacle, I'll just buy a new and better TV, if I didn't spend that much on the older one. In fact, that's more or less how I looked at my own choice of the Panny 53wx42 back in 12/02 although I don't expect DVI/HDCP to be my big obstacle for a few years--hopefully, not until HD-DVD becomes an affordable reality. I figured by the time it matters much to me, I'll be ready for a TV upgrade anyway--maybe LCoS-based RPTV will be the way to go by then.

But then again, YMMV.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks