What's new

The idiocy of the Canadian only Smallville tv show release... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The pilot(& second episode) of the tv show Smallville is coming out on dvd next month. With lots of nice extras. But, it is only available in Canada. Although, it is still region 1. I know this has been discussed before with other titles. But, why would Warner do this? The only people affected by this are American retailers & Etailers. It is not like people who want it won't be able to get it. My hope is that this is some sort of test. And if successful, the entire first season will be released here.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The only people affected by this are American retailers & Etailers.
No, the other folks who would be affected by this are the ones at Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution - the ones who handle the syndication rights. Those rights would be a lot less valuable in their primary market (the U.S.) if the series were widely available on DVD. Does Smallville even air in Canada? If not, this may be the reason for a Canadian release - to capture potential fans who have heard about the show, but not seen it, in a market where TV broadcasting doesn't compete. Same reason that Buffy was released in the UK long before it arrived here. I think this is going to become standard procedure for new TV shows now that DVD has truly opened up the market for them on home video.
Part of the deal between production companies and studios for new series will probably always include a DVD moratorium until "x" number of syndication airings. I wouldn't be surprised if current or future SAG and WGA contracts didn't call for the same thing - given that residuals are paid out on a decreasing scale beginning with the first rerun, and that actors (and especially writers) make much more from reruns than they do from home video releases, as I understand the arrangement. Those are some of the other people who are affected by the timing of DVD releases in the U.S. vs. other countries.
Regards,
Joe

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So it's only idiocy if the disc is only released in Canada, but if it's US only nobody cares...

This is the first I've heard of the disc though-sounds like an interesting show-might have to check it out.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind. If it's a quality release, I'll just order it from Total Action Universe, or another Canadian retailer.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
It is idiocy that it is a R1 disc. I can see if Canada was a different region, but it is the same. And if a disc is released US only. Canandians can still get it and watch it.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Todd in your last post you specifically pointed out that a U.S. only release could be bought by Canadians, so I fail to see why the reverse is not true. Just by the release from a Canadian online store. With the cheap dollar it will be the same price or less.

Smallville DOES air in Canada, on our national network - Global.
By the way Canwest Global is one three national network in Canada, with the additional ones being CTV and CBC

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jon, maybe it came out wrong. I was responding to Chris. Who said that no one cares when someone releases a US only disc. But, if it is a R1 release it doesn't matter if you are in Canada. Now, if it is released here and you are in another region then you are out of luck, unless you have a region free player. My whole point is that it makes no sense for Warner to release something in Canada only or for that matter the US only. Since we are the same region.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Right. I guess I'm just bitter about not being able to get all of the same stuff up here (the latest being the portable monopoly GBA light mod kit). US e-tailers treat Canadians like lepers most of the time, and I'm just getting a little sick of it. Last time I ordered from Amazon for example, I had to pay $7 per disc shipping, while if I lived an hour further south it would have been FREE. I can understand that filling out a customs form is a mind wrenching task, but it's not like the physical shipments should cost all that much more.

Actually, I'm surprised that more americans don't buy from Canadian websites or B&Ms more often. With the long dollar, discs would probably end up being MUCH cheaper (at least from the times that I've checked).

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
U.S only releases really hurt Canadian Criterion Collectors the hardest. A double-disc set usually retails between $60-70 dollars. Brazil being close to $100. Prices are cheaper if you buy them with an on-line company , but its still harsh!.

Chris M

Second Unit
Then there are titles that are only available in the US like:
Boondock Saints:SE (Fox)
The Crow:CE (BVHE)
The Red Violin (Universal)
even Transformers Season 1 (though we'll have it at A&B Sound soon enough)

It costs A LOT of money to ship these titles to Canada and with our dollar the price is over 1.5x their retail price.

Then there are titles that arrive late like, recently:
Memento:LE (1 week late)
Mulholland Drive (1 week late)
Rambo Trillogy (1 week late).

grr. Sometimes it really sucks living in Canada!

Chris.

Christian R

Agent
By the way, not only is SMALLVILLE broadcast up here...it is also SHOT right around the corner from me...just outside Vancouver B.C. in Cloverdale (they even have a big sign up there now when you enter town "HOME OF SMALLVILLE"!!!!(Maybe that's why we get a Canadian release? - Doesn't make much sense though)
I agree that releasing this only in Canada sucks...but like previous posters have stated...ya can still order it over the net - at a great exchange rate. Now you U.S.citizens know how we Canuks feel there are U.S. only releases....
IT SUCKS BIG TIME....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm surprised that more americans don't buy from Canadian websites or B&Ms more often. With the long dollar, discs would probably end up being MUCH cheaper (at least from the times that I've checked).
It does. I ordered the Canadian release of Harry Potter through Chapters Online (far from the cheapest online Canadian retailer) and it was here on the eighth. When you factor in the exchange rate, it comes out to around $19 US including shipping. Now there were cheaper prices here due to all the special deals, it being such a high profile item and all, but for most titles, this would be the cheapest way to get it online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks