The Ice Pirates DVD Review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Hackman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Jan 11, 2000
    Widescreen 16x9 enhanced
    Aspect 1.85:1
    Extras – Theatrical Trailer

What you have here is a silly space spoof that stars Robert Urich (Spenser for Hire) the commander of the water stealing pirates, Mary Crosby (Dallas) a beautiful princess, John Matuszak (Football player) a bulling thief and Ron Perlman (Hellboy) chief computer wiz and overall helping hand.

In the future after great interplanetary wars, water has nearly run out and what is left is held by the evil Templars from the planet Mithra. Jason (Robert Urich) and crew steal water for a living with the help of a bunch of cheaply put together nervous robots. The day unfolds as any until they take something other then water aboard, a Princess and her Nanny. From here the crew fights for their life and eventually seeks out to find the mythical 7th world.

Looks great, I’ve been watching a pan scan version for so long that this is the first time I’ve seen it widescreen since attending its original theatrical release. I did upscale it on my zenith DVD player to 1080i so take that into consideration. Menu is pretty nice looking but if left to long it just starts playing the movie and I don’t care for that. This may actually look too good because the special effects look awfully pitiful. The actors come across very detailed and it’s probably the best it has every looked.

Mono and it is fine. Clear easy to understand what they say, pretty balanced tone and the subs never went low but kicked in when a ship passed by. I don’t think this movie warrants the investment of a new soundtrack.

1 Theatrical Trailer that looks real gritty and extremely dark.

Well I have always liked this up until seeing this DVD and I can’t really explain what happened. The picture is great the sound is fine, but my enjoyment has diminished and I will blame that on my recent stint of better quality movies and perhaps the difference between my pan scan memories vs. the widescreen presentation. I will keep this DVD for a silly day that allows for less critical judgment.
  2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Feb 24, 1999
    I remember seeing this on memory was that it was a camp-classic from the 80's not unlike Krull (which has also managed to find its way into my collection). I just may have to give this one a look-see too...

Glad to hear the video transfer is a good one! Aren't upscaling-DVD players the greatest???

-dave [​IMG]
  3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Jun 20, 2003
    I just had a chance to watch it over the weekend. It brought back fond 80s memories. I was surprised that I still enjoy it as much as I used to (and even while sober!).

The widescreen presentation looked great. The mono sound was OK, but I wouldn't have minded a faux stereo mix.

Mary Crosby, I still love you! Where are you, BTW?

I wish there was a docu or some kind of extras, but I just feel lucky to have this movie on DVD.

4. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Jan 20, 2005
    It still holds up pretty well for me. It would have been nice to get some kind of behind the scenes featurette, but at least we got anamorphic widescreen. [​IMG]
  5. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Well...from the owner of the campy and horrendous looking DVD of Slipstream - this sounds like a 'must have!' Guess I'll have to pick this up.