1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The I-Land (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Matt Hough, Sep 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 8 Sep 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I started watching this limited series on Netflix this afternoon. It's got a great assortment of people all stranded on an island with their memories gone and only intriguing "finds" on the island to keep them going. Obviously, some kind of experiment is going on, but I have certainly gotten drawn into the mystery (and a murder happens at the end of the second episode, so we have that mystery to play with as well).

Usually, I don't watch but one episode a day (there are seven of them for this series), but a friend and I agreed to watch this to be able to talk about it at lunch next Thursday, and I didn't get around to watching yesterday at all.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Is this a limited series? One season? Or are they going to be on that island for a while?

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I have no idea. The site describes it as a limited series, so I'm guessing the mysteries will be solved by the end. But I could easily be wrong.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I watched the first couple of episodes. Reminded me of the summer burnoff science fiction programming the broadcast networks used to air like "Persons Unknown" and "Wayward Pines".

Interesting hook, but mediocre acting and writing so far.

ChristopherG likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    TV Guide gave it a horrendous review. If I had read that a couple of days ago, I might not have ever started the series, but with only five episodes left, I can stick it out.

6. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    This show is so bad me and my wife can’t stop watching. This is one of the worst written and acted Netflix originals I have seen. It feels like a bad student project where the student filmmakers thought they had such a clever idea but no story to go with the idea.

The characters just make stupid decisions after stupid decisions. Cheesy cheesy dialogue, just wait until you meet the Texan character, I think in episode 3 or 4. Every Texas caricature wrapped up in one person. It’s got some odd technical issues as well, like the sun changing directions back and forth between scenes.

It’s so bad, it’s fun. Me and my wife couldn’t stop laughing, one of the funniest shows we’ve seen in a while.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched episode 3 tonight (with the Texas character), and it will certainly keep me watching for the remainder of the series.

8. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    Agreed, but in our case, my wife and I stopped 10 minutes in. I just couldn't see wasting anymore of the time I have left on this planet on this POS.