The "I bottomed my SVS tonight" thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ned, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I already watched The Phantom Menace this afternoon but the volume was initially at just "-25db" on my receiver but quickly raised it to "-19db" as the movie progressed.
    As many have said, this disc is recorded at a lower level so you need to bump it up several notches to get back to the usual volume level from other dvd's.
    So tonight I started it at "-20db" and in comes the new THX intro. Right when the globe explodes came that awful sound that some of us SVS owners hear.
    Clack, clack, clack [​IMG]
    It was over quickly but it really emphasized the intensity of this new intro.
    Nothing else in the actual movie caused any bottoming out though even at reference levels. The bass is just stunning in so many scenes but it's also different rather than just being the same "boom" signature everytime. Credit for that goes about half to SVS for making such a great sub and half to Ben Burtt for the sound design.
    This is truly the de facto demo dvd.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Funny, I was gonna start a thread like this also!
    That THX intro was the first sound ever to defeat my 20-39PC!!! And that was barely above my regular listening level. I have always wondered what bottoming out meant. People describe a loud noise etc... I realise now that I have mistaken port noise for that on my old KSW-12. Sheesh... the real thing is terrifying. But it is clear now. If anyone out there is wondering what it sounds like, well, it's like orgasmm for women: When it happens, you will know [​IMG]
    As for rest of the track, I really didn't care for it. I thought the bass sounded disconnected from the rest. It just doesn't blend like other tracks I have heard. All it seems to be is the same deep aggressive rumbling - and the rest of the spectrum is not even that aggressive. With so many people praising this track, I wondered if something was wrong with my system, but Titan AE and everything also sounded good so oh well.
    --
    Holadem

3. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I watched it a second time today just for the audio.
    The Pod race sequence sounds absolutely amazing!
    And then the lightsaber duels, WOW!
    If ever there was a title screaming at me to upgrade my subwoofer, this one is it!

4. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I thought the bass blended very well with the rest of the track. The THX intro didnt bottom my dual 20-39's, but it did rattle the window, and I felt the couch shake quite a bit!
    If the bass doesnt sound correct to you, make sure you run Avia or Video Essentials, it is very common for people to have the sub level turned up way too loud if they calibrated by ear.
    Jeff Peake

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I've had the Phantom Menace disc for well over 2 1/2 weeks, and I wanted to post this so badly but couldn't....
    I had a problem with my Twin SVS subs bottoming out, so I engaged the peek Limiter on my Denon 4800, and that solved the problem...
    Until that Phantom menace THX trailer started up.... That trailer must dive into the Sinle Digit HZ... Koodos to Van Ling on that trailer!!!! Nice work as always!!!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email:
    darth23@optonline.net
    [Edited last by Steven Simon on October 16, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

6. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Anyone bottomed a CS-Ultra with this yet??
    Anyone tested to see what frequencies this trailer has (how low it goes)??
    ------------------

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Now wait a sec....can recorded sound that low be dangerous to the amp (not the sub amp, but the receiver or processor) too?
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com
    [Edited last by Chuck C on October 16, 2001 at 09:57 PM]

8. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    It would be very interesting to see the Graphs on the Phantom Menace DVD.... the THX trailer dives into LFE Unknown!!!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email:
    darth23@optonline.net

9. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Very interesting question about amp damage. I spoke to an engineer at Crest who commented about amps "going dc" which he described as the amp delivering (or short-circuiting) at its full capacity - which for the Crest is 108 volts at 15 amps. He said your speaker will go one way and never come back. Anyway, I'm kind of glad the Crest starts to roll off below 20hz..
    Vince

10. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I tend to listen at pretty modest levels since I'm in an apartment but I've got to say WOW! This DVD has some pretty incredible bass in many different scenes. Thank goodness I didn't bottom out my SVS but I may have structurally damaged my building.
    I thought the bass blended extremely well and was not of the one note variety some bass-rich DVDs have. Thank you SVS for providing better than theater bass in my home.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

11. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

interesting on the THX comments,
    all the THX trailers I've measured only extended to the mid 30s before.
    now with the THX-2 specs just released...including woofage requirements down to 20hz...maybe the trailers are going to drop down to 20hz too?
    wonder what THX-3 will add...TTs?
    TV

12. Howard Christian

I absolutely heard the 'clack' on the intro, it scared me cause it was pretty loud
    I couldn't be set too high as I just finished calibrating my system right before watching the Phantom Menace and I had the sub set +2db over the speakers
    Damn the pod race and lightsaber duels were really incredible!!
    I have the 16-46CS and thx to SVS we can enjoy this absolutely enjoyable movie!

13. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

I got my SVS 20-39 PC yesterday from UPS...Hooked it up and calibrated it to Avia at +6 dB last night and tested it out with Toy Story 2 with anticipation for TPM today. All I can say is "OH MY GOD!!!!!" I thought my Velodyne CT-150 was a great sub...the CT-150 isn't in the same TIME ZONE as the 20-39!!! When the TXH trailer came on it scared the SH*T out of my five year old and my wife ran downstairs thinking a truck ran into the house...enough said I think!
    PS My listening preference was calibrated to play at 70 dB on an Onkyo TX-DS989 with a Full EX setup!

14. John H

John H Second Unit

15. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I absolutely heard the 'clack' on the intro, it scared me cause it was pretty loud
    I couldn't be set too high as I just finished calibrating my system right before watching the Phantom Menace and I had the sub set +2db over the speakers

16. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Just thought I'd mention that I use the ART351 eq and the high-pass is set to engage at ~20hz and I still bottomed out briefly in the THX intro. I also however have a +3db boost on the 20hz and +2db on the 25hz bands [​IMG]:
    That said I think the bottoming is from some very high amplitude in the 20-25hz range. Where are the graph people [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

17. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Just finished watching it with my Tempest. That new intro does have some seriously low bass. Didn't even phase my Tempest though. To me some of the bass seemed over done a bit, but the pod race and the light saber battles where awesome.
    Never mind the alignment I choose combined with the rumble filter (2nd order hp at 18hz) of the AVA250 should technically make it impossible to bottom my sub. Still LspCAD predicts I should be able to do 106-107dB at 18hz at my listening position which is about 15 feet from the sub. So I'm grinning [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dustin
    bart107@sk.sympatico.ca
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

19. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

There is no doubt that the THX intro has some serious bass in it. My SVS CS Ultra had no problem with it in my 2300 cu ft room. I calibrate all speakers to 75db.

20. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I also have my speakers calibrated to 75 dB with the sub (20-39cs) about 2 dB hot. I did not hear the dreaded clack and was curious to see that some of you that did were calibrated similarly. This was listening at 10 dB under ref.
    I tried TPM later at ref level.. and still no bottoming out. But boy, does the floor shake.. not to mention the rest of the house.
    I had U-571 in the other day and cranked it to -10 dB under ref. My wife was upstairs in the bathroom with the exhaust fan running while showering.. and later told me she knew what I was playing 'cause she could feel the floor shaking when the depth charges went off. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on October 17, 2001 at 01:32 PM]