What's new
Real Name
Tim
VCI has released the 1939 Bela Lugosi mystery, The Human Monster on Blu Ray.  The Human Monster is based on Edgar Wallace’s 1924 novel The Dark Eyes of London.  VCI is advertising this release as a 2K transfer off of 35mm fine-grain elements.  The movie is silly, and its only defense can be as a guilty pleasure – but I plead guilty to liking silly very much. I had high expectations for this but was once again disappointed by VCI’s lack of quality control.

The Human Monster (1939)

Released: 24 Mar 1940
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 73 min

Director: Walter Summers
Genre: Crime, Horror, Mystery, Drama

Cast: Bela Lugosi, Hugh Williams, Greta Gynt, Edmon Ryan
Writer(s): Edgar Wallace (novel), Patrick Kirwan (screenplay), Walter Summers (screenplay), John Argyle (screenplay), Jan Van Lusil (additional dialogue)

Plot:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Bob's not kidding about that OCN. Interesting. Though the plethora of budget knock-off releases might have you believing otherwise, this film is not in the public domain. In fact, it's copyrighted until at least the end of 2054 (the 1984 death of co-writer Patrick Kirwan + 70 years). The BFI have no problem allowing materials access to anyone who has obtained the necessary clearance from the rights holders, so why not VCI?

Timothy, who is named in the modern copyright notices, either on the packaging or in an ident added to the top or tail of the film itself? Is anyone named at all?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
As an early buyer of this disc I can attest that every word of Timothy's review is spot-on.

That BFI is such a tough nut to crack. They stream some of their rarities but region-lock them. :(

Would that any HTF friends across-the-pond could offer insights on prying open that treasure trove.

Real Name
Tim
Bob's not kidding about that OCN. Interesting. Though the plethora of budget knock-off releases might have you believing otherwise, this film is not in the public domain. In fact, it's copyrighted until at least the end of 2054 (the 1984 death of co-writer Patrick Kirwan + 70 years). The BFI have no problem allowing materials access to anyone who has obtained the necessary clearance from the rights holders, so why not VCI?

Timothy, who is named in the modern copyright notices, either on the packaging or in an ident added to the top or tail of the film itself? Is anyone named at all?

Hi Brent, I’m out of town for the holiday. Maybe someone else who has it can take a look; if not I’ll check when I get home.

Jack K

Auditioning
Real Name
John
On the inside cover at the bottom right it says "Copyright 2019 Blair & Associates, Ltd. All rights reserved."

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
This is the 'best' quality available of this title and until we see the BFI source, we take this VCI bluray and move on.
I would agree 100% that the Sutton/de Valle commentary is really sad. Were they even watching the film? Blind/mute Lew is not Henry Stewart! OHG! How can you screw that up? We even see Stewart being greeted by Lew, early in the film.

Rhodes knows his stuff. I wish he had done an additional commentary that walked us through the film as it proceeds to its end, pointing out info on each actor...noting where scenes were edited in order to pass the film review board...etc...and not a lot of debunked garbage.

VCI, if you are listening, please bet your choices for film commentary, or at least review their content for accuracy before going forward with final production.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Heard terrible things about VCI's Blu of WHITE ZOMBIE turns out there was a problem with the initial batch they immediately corrected ir saw the film on YOUTUBE last night their print is stunningly good! Sad they lost the rights to SCROOGE 1951 they treated the film with care! DIsney has it now and I do not see them doing anything with it they should give it back to VCI and let the release the BFI restoration!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I saw the title of this movie, I thought it was another movie that I have in my collection. But it’s not this one. Is there another movie with a similar title?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
This is the 'best' quality available of this title and until we see the BFI source, we take this VCI bluray and move on.
I would agree 100% that the Sutton/de Valle commentary is really sad. Were they even watching the film? Blind/mute Lew is not Henry Stewart! OHG! How can you screw that up? We even see Stewart being greeted by Lew, early in the film.

Rhodes knows his stuff. I wish he had done an additional commentary that walked us through the film as it proceeds to its end, pointing out info on each actor...noting where scenes were edited in order to pass the film review board...etc...and not a lot of debunked garbage.

VCI, if you are listening, please bet your choices for film commentary, or at least review their content for accuracy before going forward with final production.
Whenever I see that David Del Valle is involved in the commentary track, I do not purchase. If I see that Tom Weaver and Richard Harland Smith are involved, I buy it.

Edit: I should also add Gary D. Rhodes to my list as well. I was unaware he was involved with this release. I might purchase it someday just for his involvement.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
When I saw the title of this movie, I thought it was another movie that I have in my collection. But it’s not this one. Is there another movie with a similar title?
Maybe it's already mentioned, but I believe The Human Monster is called Dark Eyes of London in the UK. Is that what you were thinking?
Anyway, I can never get through the film, and it is because the image quality is unwatchable.
If the BFI does have the OCN or at least a superior printing element, I would love to see it come to Blu-ray.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
BFI has the nitrate 35mm camera negative!
While I'm sure that Dark Eyes of London aka The Human Monster released/restored from the nitrate 35mm camera negative would not make me love/discover the film like I did with the wonderful restoration of James Whale's The Old Dark House,
it would be very high on my lists of films that I would love to experience (properly) --
I would buy several copies and give some away.
As it stands, I just can't get through it.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
The best print of this I've ever seen was a DVD-R from an outfit called Firecake Entertainment under it's original British title DARK EYES OF LONDON (and with the UK title sequence). It's now OOP, though. I was VERY disappointed with the VCI blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The best print of this I've ever seen was a DVD-R from an outfit called Firecake Entertainment under it's original British title DARK EYES OF LONDON (and with the UK title sequence). It's now OOP, though. I was VERY disappointed with the VCI blu-ray.
Sadly reviews are all over the place - also see decent reviews of VCI's VCI has done some very good work lately their RAIN is stunning! Their corrected White Zombie the best! And their serials are being restored slowly too bad they are at the mercy of the best they can get sometimes

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
The UK Network release is quite nice. It doesnt mention BFI. All of Network's blurays state "featured here as a brand-new High Definition remaster from original film elements in its original theatrical aspect ratio".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks