The HTF Clever Caption Contest! Get in early!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a new form of HTF movie-related fun game activity thingie. I had the idea of doing some sort of screenshot/caption concept, and here's what I came up with:
    (Feel free to offer any suggestions or improvements to what I have so far, as this is all new to me.)
    1. I will post a movie screenshot.
    2. Participants will come up with the most humorous caption they can think of. (R-rated humor seems to be tolerated at HTF, just don't go overboard!)
    3. Once a set number of captions are offered (I was thinking 5 or 6), the entries will then go to a small panel of judges who will choose the best three.
    4. The HTF members will then vote on which of the three finalists they prefer.
    5. Once a winner is announced, I'll go on to the next screenshot.
    6. There WILL be a prize for the winner. Not an impressive or amazing prize, but it IS a mystery DVD! (The title of which will not be revealed until the contest winner receives it in the mail. [​IMG] )
    I'm having some trouble deciding what how I should end the contest. Perhaps once a participant reaches a set number of points, or maybe I should come up with a set number of screenshots. This last part I need your help with...
    Regarding the 'judges': I thought that using a separate body to vote on the three best captions per round was the best way to handle things, as having people vote on 9 or 10 separate captions would prove to be a big mess. Again, I welcome any suggestions on the best way to handle this most fairly.
    (The judges are currently myself, HTFer Matt Chmiel and good friend/fellow movie critic Erik Childress. No personal bias or BS will take place within the judges' voting process. And this means that Matt cannot vote in the normal style.)
    Whaddaya think?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
  3. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Seems like a lot of work to go through. I, for one, am all tingly inside knowing you would put forth such effort for my enjoyment.:b Sounds like fun to me. I take back all the nasty things I've said about you.[​IMG]
    P.S. How about sending out VHS copies of Save the Last Dance to the losers?[​IMG]
    P.P.S. Sorry to anyone who likes Save the Last Dance. For you, we can send out VHS copies of Batman and Robin.
    P.P.P.S. Sorry to those who enjoyed Batman and Robin. To you, we can................oh shit, forget it[​IMG]

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I was thinking about something similar the other day, except that you have to name the film that the screenshot was from.

5. Scott Weinberg

That's not a bad idea, but the shots I have would be easily recognized. I was hoping to judge the captions based on humor and cleverness. [​IMG]

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Sounds good.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds like fun. Might I suggest using screenshots from La Belle Noiseuse featuring the oh-so-lovely Emmanuelle Beart?

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Sounds Great Scott! Do it.

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This is a great idea.

Hopefuly this won't be the same judges as the ones at the Olympic Pair skating event.

10. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

11. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Great idea [​IMG]

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Sounds like fun!

Too bad I lack a sense of humour though...

13. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Hey, sounds good to me!

I'm in!

Sincerely,

John "Ready to make fun of anything, including himself" Kilduff

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Bring it on.

Bruce

15. Rain

Rain Producer

I'll definitely be playing.
    Although, having had a glimpse of your DVD collection, I'm not sure I really want to win this game. [​IMG] Just kidding, my friend. [​IMG]

16. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

As long as you don't make it into a Tournament! [​IMG]

17. Scott Weinberg

Due to computer problems beyond my control, I must sadly cancel this game, at least for the time being.

My computer was apparently not content to merely "crash" twice a month. THIS time I can't even get the damn thing to load up. Quite sad. The two dozen screen shots I'd accrued for this game? Gone!

So now I'm using a creaky old backup computer (I think it's an Apple 2c) and have quite the hectic schedule for the next few weeks.

The Chmeilinator has offered to run his own Screenshot game. It's a bit different than what I had in mind, but Matt's a freak so it should be fun.

Glad to at least have a computer that w--------