What's new

The HTF Box Office Prediction Thread! (Updated Weekly!) (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I thought it would be kind of fun to devote a thread to our Box Office predictions. Each Monday I'll post that week's new movies, and we can offer our predictions on which movie will make how much. I'm not particularly good at this, but it could be a hoot.
I'm hoping this thread will offer more than just predictions, as I find that following the current box-office numbers is absolutely fascinating. (I'm focusing mainly on "wide releases" although you should feel free to offer your thoughts on any foreign or indie flicks that are also opening.)
Opening this Friday are three rather colorful-looking movies:
Ice Age
Resident Evil
Showtime
Feel free to post your prognostications for each film's opening weekend, in addition to how much you think each movie will make overall. Here are mine:
Ice Age - $18m Opening Weekend / $80m overall
Showtime - $14m / $90m
Resident Evil - $12m / $60m
Good-natured ribbing is allowed, but let's not cruelly MOCK someone if they predict Rollerball to somehow make $140m! :)
(I hope this thread can stay in the Movies section, as it's meant to be an ongoing discussion and not merely a collection of votes!)

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Excellent idea! I've been bummed about not participating in box-office predictions ever since Mr. Showbiz got shut down.

So, this weekend:

Ice Age -- $23 million

Showtime -- 13 million

Resident Evil -- $12 million

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott,

If besides the predictions, there isn't significant film discussion then this thread is bound for Polls.

Crawdaddy

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I expect Ice Age to do around $30 or $40 million. (This is coming form the same person who thought that Rollerball would actually be a hit:laugh:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I hope this thread can stay in the Movies section, as it's meant to be an ongoing discussion and not merely a collection of votes!
:laugh: Scott I sympathise, Polls has now become the place where threads go to die, some poor guy starts a thread in Software or Movies where it quickly garners many replies than it gets moved to polls where its quickly pushed off the page and quickly dies, oh well...;)
Oh yes, good idea for a topic.:emoji_thumbsup:
Ice Age- $20m (cgi animation for the kiddies, should be popular)
Resident Evil- $17m (gory horror movie game thingy)
Showtime- $8m
erm what do I win if I'm really close to the final figure, a date with Milla Jovovich perhaps.
This from IMDB User comments...
"This has to be the best zombie-mutant-shoot-'em-up-splatter-film I've seen in years! It rocks, it rolls, it's lock and load entertainment of the finest kind! And certainly not for the faint of heart or even weak of stomach!Milla Jovovich makes an excellent kick-zombie heroine and I for one, would volunteer to have my neck snapped like a dry twig between her thighs anytime!"
mmmm I wouldn't mind getting tangled between Milla's thighs.
:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ice Age -- $23 million
Showtime -- 13 million
Resident Evil -- $12 million
I'll second that guess all the way.
I think Ice Age can hit $105m, Resident Evil $30m, Showtime $85m (if it is in the Meet the Parents, Bowfinger, Shrek level of quality).
Don't worry Scott, after you are wrong I'll be in the thread "discussing" what an idiot you were. ;) That should keep it in Movies (or get it closed :)).

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Does the person who gets the closest prediction win a prize like pants in the past?

Resident Evil: $30 million

Ice Age: $20 million

Showtime: $8 million

I don't think Ice Age will do as well as everyone else thinks because there has already been 3 CGI animated movies within the past year.

~T

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ice Age: $20M, broadest appeal, SW trailer should be good for an extra M or two

Showtime: $14M, looks funny, but not so funny it will win the weekend

Resident Evil: $11M, niche film, not enough adverts for the average moviegoer, horror and game fans'll show up

Take care,

Chuck

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Ok, I don't really know much about Ice Age and Showtime, but I'll take some wild guesses...

Ice Age - $22M/$70M overall

Resident Evil - $13M/$35M overall (this one's going to bomb!)

Showtime - $9M/$40M overall

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Well, as a real neophyte to box office predictions, I think:

Ice Age - $25mil / 125 mil - I think this one is going to keep running for some time. I haven't been impacted by the ad machine for this one as much as I had expected when I saw the preview last year, but I still think it will prove to be popular. I think we're going to see a 65-70% rotten tomatoes score on this one.

Resident Evil - $12 mil / 45 mil - I can't see this one behaving any differently from the all of Anderson's previous movies. Interesting premise (albeit taken from a game) that gets somewhat mishandled and gets mediocre word of mouth. I think it will remain in theaters until the end of April to squeeze out the last few drops. I'm thinking a 15-30% rotten tomatoes on this one.

Showtime - $12 mil / 50 mil - A curiosity at best, and will probably not be able to draw on positive critical response. Maybe a 45% RT score.

Great thread. If this does go to polls, please make it sticky. Else it gets drowned by the numerous DVD collection tournaments.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think Ice Age will do very well, it's the first potential blockbuster being released this year (but will be hampered by ET like Monsters was by Harry Potter). I see Ice Age doing about 27 million this weekend plus or minus two ro three million, and a total cum around 115 million.

Resident Evil has a built in video game base, but I haven't seen much advertisement for it or heard much buzz on it, so if it is FUN to watch and doesn't insult the viewer like so many other video game movies it could be something of a sleeper. I see it doing about 12 million this weekend with low rolloffs over the next several weeks, with an ultimate cum in the 60-80 million range.

Showtime I hadn't even heard of until two weeks ago, but have heard many advertisements in the past two weeks, i think the ad machine will result in a strong 15 million opening, but with possibly large rolloffs and a total cum of 40-55 million.

to recap, with ranges of where I think they will hit:

Ice Age - 24 to 30 million; total - 105 to 125 million

Resident Evil - 10 to 14 million; total - 60 to 80 million

Showtime - 12 to 18 million; total - 40 to 55 million

Adam

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
After seeing Showtime, I'm apt to lower my B.O. predictions for it! :D
It's a mess of a movie, although I enjoyed it in a "guilty pleasure" sorta way. I'm quite curious to see how this one does domestically.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Ice Age - $26.5 Million

Resident Evil - $17 Million

Showtime - $10 Million

I think Ice Age will do some good numbers this weekend as there hasn't been a kid movie in a while.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Ice Age: $29 million/$120 million (Shortest running time, lots of showings, no competition)

Showtime: $15 million/$70 million

Resident Evil: $13 million/$35 million

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like a lot of you are way low on Ice Age. Your weekend grosses were mostly met on Friday. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks