What's new

The HT is finally up!!! (1 Viewer)

Thanks to everyone here on HTF for all your wealth of information and advice. I made a lot of decisions on the HT based on information that I got here on this forum. A buddy and me ran the wires before the sheetrock went up. I prewired for a 7.2 system, so I could easily add 2 more surround channels and a 2nd sub or bass shakers for under the couches. We also ran coax in the ceiling for the projector. It's been a fun and very rewarding project, although very time consuming (and expensive). One of my fears was the neighbors complaining about the volume up too high. We've talked to the neighbors and they can't hear a thing, and we have it turned up loud at all times of the day and night. They can't even hear the bass or the karaoke singing at 4 in the morning!!

Equipment List:
Projector: Sanyo Z1
Receiver: Sony
Speakers: Sony
Sub: Sony SAWM40

Here are some pics:
http://home.comcast.net/~mshanjj/theater.htm

The receiver and speakers are entry level stuff bought 4 years ago. They will be the next upgrade. But for now, I have the biggest upgrade I could have - the dedicated HT room!!!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Congrats Clifford! One thing I'd suggest is getting your center channel off the floor and mounted up higher near the bottom of your screen or at least angle it up towards the seating area! Have fun and enjoy! :emoji_thumbsup:

Erik,

Yeah, that's on my neverending "to do" list. Right now it's angled up to the seating area. It's not optimally set, but I'll get to it sooner or later. Thanks for all of your help. I think our next big project will be to make our backyard look like a real backyard, with grass and stuff.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Hey Cliff...you're a Washingtonian! :emoji_thumbsup: Cool...perhaps we'll bump into each other sometime. Have fun making your backyard look real! :D

TonyGricar

Agent
looks like somebody's been to Ikea...

in finishing our room, with only the ceiling to go, we have a half dozen deco-style sconces that we looked for in every lighting shop within a 60 mile radius. nothing did it, and finally found the perfect lights at Ikea. we went from spending $100 per to around $12 per. Great store.

how are the couches holding up? always wondered about those.

Tony

Tony,

Actually the sconces are from Home Depot. It was only after we chose all of our light fixtures in our home that we happened to go to Ikea. Oh well, we saved a bunch of money buying from Home Depot rather than those lighting speciality stores.

Funny story on the couches...We had a set of overstuffed couches from our old place that we planned to put into the theater room. Well, come move in day, we barely got them in through our patio slider. Our friends looked at the doorway to the theater and said no way are you getting that in there. We were pretty bummed and we were trying to figure out how to get them in, through the window, bust down the wall, etc. None of which would bode well in a brand new house. Anyways we found those couches at Ikea. We got the red slip covers and they work perfect. Not as comfy as our other couches but good enough to sit through a movie or two. We like the color and a good price too. On movie nights, the adults get the couches and the kids get the bean bags and the floor. Good luck on your HT.

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Cliff - looks good. As someone in the beginning phases of the project, it's always nice to see what others have done. Your scones are interesting, I'll look into that.

What's the demensions of the room? How far is your projector from the screen?

Good job, and what are you doing up at 4 am?

Signed,
Old Guy Who Struggles to Make it to Midnight

Andrew Kammerer

Auditioning
Wow looks fantastic Clifford! I see you live in Lake Stevens. I'm just down the road in Snohomish so maybe we can get together some time.

Bobby,

The room is approx 15x13. The projector lens is sitting at about 9 feet. The first row of seating is at 10.5 and the back row is at 14 feet. i'm projecting just onto the wall right now, framed with some MDF trim painted black. at our housewarming party, everyone was fooled. they all thought there was a screen. one guy had to rub the wall where the picture was projecting to check for himself.

Andrew,

Snohomish isn't very far away. Maybe we can get together some time.

karaoke @ 4 am... well apparently since we have the HT, people like to come over and bring some movies and just hang out. right outside of the HT is a wet bar and a game room with a pockey table (half pool and half air hockey). we really don't mind the company though. that's why we bought a bigger house anyway, cause we love to entertain!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks