What's new

The HP touchpad buyers, owners and refugees thread ;) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Figured it was better to have a thread dedicated to topics of interest to owners.
What apps have you installed?
I hear the Facebook app is great, whats the best twitter client?
I can't get it to upgrade firmware, does it help the lag at all?
Anyone thinking about installing http://www.touch-droid.com when it's released

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally got the update installed, it seems a bit more stable and the keyboard slightly better, but still janky. Nobody else got one?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Might has well migrate HP TP discussion to this thread.
The Map App on the HP TP seems pretty good, but I only tested it out on 2 addresses, mine and my parents'.
I get the "Unpacking" message when I try updating it to 3.0.2 OTA, so I have no idea when it'll ever get updated, but I'll keep trying. Once that's done, I'll give the other speed-up tips a try.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Comprehensive guide to upgrading the OS, removing logging (which seems to be the major slowdown out of the box) and setting the clocks to 1.5ghz if that's your bag. I'm keeping mine at stock speed.
http://www.touchpadplus.com/serv01.htm

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and overclocked my HP TP to 1.5GHz. It looks like my battery temp went up to 32 c.
For some reason most of my Facebook photo albums got downloaded to my HP TP when I rebooted it after the upgrading the OS and doing the speed-up tricks.
I don't think one had anything to do with the other, but today was the first day I log onto Facebook with the HP TP. Not sure if I want all of those FB albums eating up disk space on the TP. Ack!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think by installing the uberkernal that it affected the Media Indexing of new photo files copied to the TP's hard drive?
I finally got the 3.0.2 OTA update, and then did the preware install, and then did the speed-up tips by installing UberKernal and Govnah. Then I realized that the built-in Photo/Videos app will not update (media indexing) the new file folders with photo files in them (it'll just display a white box with the folder name, but no photos inside of it (to press the white boxes and it just states nothing was found in the folders, which is not true), and after some reboots by holding down the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds, it still won't update the new photo files in the app.
The other issue is that for the older folders with photo files in there before I upgraded to 3.0.2, it will display the contents of the folders (since it did do a massive media index on the first reboot with the new updates), but the picture quality in full screen mode is sort of pixelated until I put the tablet in Slideshow mode, and then the photos look quite presentable, but once it's out of slideshow mode, whatever overlay shows up makes the photos look crappy and out of focus again. Anyone else having these issues?
I did give in and bought the Gemini file manager app so I could look at my photos that were copied to the hard drive after the 3.0.2 update because I needed to be able to display them over this weekend for some photoshoot ideas (at Dragon*Con). Gemini does work in displaying the photos, but not at full screen, there's a scroll section on the right side of the screen to preview other photos in the folder to swipe up and down to display the other photos from the folder.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bought an HP dv6 exactly two months ago. Windows 7 64-bit, 8Gb. of RAM, 750Gb. hard-drive, i-5 processor.
So far has performed flawlessly, but the only add-ons I've done are Norton AV (preinstalled) and Office 2007.
Things may change when I start adding more software.
Finally signed up for Facebook the day before my Dell laptop died. Haven't followed through yet on the HP, almost afraid to do anything. I get tons of "friend" messages in email, apparently Facebook sucks up your address book, and the address book of anybody you've got listed and tries to tie us all together.
I get friend requests from friends of my sister, people I don't even know but her addresses have somehow linked to mine.
Honestly don't know if it's worth it, may just dump the Facebook account and become a hermit.
Won't mess with overclocking or anything else, machine is amazingly fast and with a 25+Mb. internet connection, it's wonderful.
I think when you start tweaking your computer and adding third party software that is more fun than functional is when you start to have problems.
Did IT tech support for over 20 years, chose exactly what I'd allow, what software the company would purchase, etc. The only problem we ever had were the VPs and higher ups who wanted their equipment less restricted. They'd install games, screw up video drivers, etc. Spent half my time fixing problems for those 20 idiots, not the other 300 users.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks