What's new

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (2018)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Title: The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Tagline: This house knows what makes you tick

Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller, Family, Mystery

Director: Eli Roth

Cast: Owen Vaccaro, Jack Black, Cate Blanchett, Kyle MacLachlan, Colleen Camp, Sunny Suljic, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Braxton Bjerken, Lorenza Izzo, Perla Middleton, Charles Green, Alli Beckman, Demetri Landell, Ricky Muse, Van Marten, Jalyn Hall, Aaron Beelner, Chris Adams, Vanessa Anne Williams, Dylan Gage Moore, Anela Terzic, Garrett Strobl, Caleb Lawrence, Jack Giles IV

Release: 2018-09-20

Plot: Ten-year-old Lewis goes to live with his uncle in a creaky old house that contains a mysterious ticktock noise. When Lewis accidentally awakens the dead, the town's sleepy facade magically springs to life with a secret world of witches and warlocks.

As a fan of the Bellairs books in my younger days, I was hoping this would be a great adaptation. But based on the casting alone, it looks like a disaster. Cate Blanchett is nothing like Mrs. Zimmerman of the books, and the child (Owen Vaccaro) they cast to play Lewis looks nothing like him, either.

MV5BNDg0MDQwNDI3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc5MDE2NzE@._V1_UY317_CR58,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Dylan Gage Moore, who is playing the generic "Sweet Shop Boy," looks like the book's Lewis Barnavelt:

MV5BMzQ4OGNmYTktYzI1ZC00NjE5LWFhYTEtOTVkYzQ0NTc0ZDNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzk0MzU3NjY@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’d like this to be good, but when I’ve seen the trailer in the theater, it hasn’t interested me.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I know nothing about the books but the concept and fantasy elements seem interesting. Unfortunately, Black’s overacting and goofy-ness in the trailer kill it for me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've not read the book, but the trailer looks like a fairly generic YA fantasy film. I hope it's better than it looks (which has certainly happened before.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I must have seen the “Thriller” video at least 450,000 times in 1983, (449,999 times unwillingly). Because of this, if this is included and even if Michael Jackson is returning from the dead to do it live, I will not see this movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I must have seen the “Thriller” video at least 450,000 times in 1983, (449,999 times unwillingly). Because of this, if this is included and even if Michael Jackson is returning from the dead to do it live, I will not see this movie.
It sounds like it's only at IMAX showings, so it should be easily avoided if you want to see the film otherwise.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Could be another Goosebumps style hit with kids. I think it looks fun. Perfect movie for fall.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am tentatively planning on using AMC A-List to catch an IMAX showing in order to see Michael Jackson's Thriller in 3D. I'm undecided as to whether I'll stay for the main feature.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Going tonight with low expectations. This seems like something I'd roll my eyes at most of the time, but gonna take a chance and just see it. If I don't like it, big deal. I spent 105 minutes watching it. Really no big deal.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Was a shame to see Jack trash talking during Walk of Fame yesterday but I still like most of his movies so I'll have to forgive his ignorance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
For me this one had a few laughs, a few thrills, and a few good moments, but mostly it just wasn't my cup of tea. It was too "cute." My rating: "C"

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I feel like I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was a parent going with a young child, instead of as a not-parent going solo. I did appreciate that it was (mostly) a smaller scale movie. I wish the characters had been better developed.

But Thriller in IMAX 3D beforehand, that was pretty cool. They did a good job on the conversion. Lots of depth and some pop outs too. And it was nice to see a short before a feature.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthias Schulte
Recent bookmarks