What's new

The House That Jack Built (2018)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The House That Jack Built (2018)

Tagline: The old cathedrals often have sublime artworks hidden away in the darkest corners for only god to see. The same goes for murder.

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller

Director: Lars von Trier

Cast: Matt Dillon, Bruno Ganz, Uma Thurman, Siobhan Fallon Hogan, Sofie Gråbøl, Riley Keough, Jeremy Davies, Jack Mckenzie, Mathias Hjelm, Ed Speleers, Emil Tholstrup, Marijana Jankovic, Carina Skenhede, Robert Jezek, Osy Ikhile, Christian Arnold, Yoo Ji-tae, Johannes Bah Kuhnke, Jerker Fahlström, David Bailie, Robert G. Slade

Release: 2018-11-29

Runtime: 155

Plot: A depiction of a serial killer's 12 years' worth of murders and how it shaped his prime intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Looks like a remake of American Psycho [one of my cult favorites] more or less. I remember the song from the original Aretha Franklin.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Looks like a remake of American Psycho [one of my cult favorites] more or less. I remember the song from the original Aretha Franklin.

It's not a remake but it is a serial killer film from Lars von Trier. Apparently the reports from Cannes were that people were walking out of this film in droves due to how disturbing it was. It is another nasty bit of work from Lars and I guess the murders are quite gruesome and the killer offs men, women, and children. I know serial killer films tend to be quite popular and this is described as a "horror" picture but anybody that has seen a Lars von Trier film knows he likes to put his audience through the ringer. It is set in 1970s America and Dillon apparently gives a tremendous...if incredibly unnerving...performance.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, this film is by miles the most fun I have ever had watching a Lars von Trier picture. I think at the moment I would have to rate it his best film. It is most definitely his most playful film...and I laughed quite a few times. He calls it the most "Hitchcockian" film he has ever made.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So, this film is by miles the most fun I have ever had watching a Lars von Trier picture. I think at the moment I would have to rate it his best film. It is most definitely his most playful film...and I laughed quite a few times. He calls it the most "Hitchcockian" film he has ever made.
I just ordered the UK version because it's not edited. Which version did you watch?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I just ordered the UK version because it's not edited. Which version did you watch?

That's the one I watched, Jose. I went in expecting something truly gruesome...because it is Lars after all...but was surprised that he and Dillon leaven the violence with some humor, not something I was expecting. Dillon by the way is great in this as it is a role like Drugstore Cowboy that seems to perfectly suit him and he runs with it. I feel like this film is a celebration of filmmaking by Lars and to me it seemed he was paying tribute to all sorts of filmmakers, including himself, as well as sort of making all sorts of commentary on art and the artist.

It really seemed to be his most lighthearted picture despite the fact that it is about a serial killer on his way to hell. Kind of funny that's where Lars von Trier finds comedy.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, I think if you liked American Psycho you would probably like this. It also has a sense of the absurd and you spend the film in the mind of a total nut job while he carries on a conversation with Virgil (played by Bruno Ganz) from, yes, Dante's Inferno.

For the record, it seems to me that Matt Dillon gives his best performances when he is playing somebody that is slightly, or sometimes more than slightly, cracked.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Well, I think if you liked American Psycho you would probably like this. It also has a sense of the absurd and you spend the film in the mind of a total nut job while he carries on a conversation with Virgil (played by Bruno Ganz) from, yes, Dante's Inferno.

For the record, it seems to me that Matt Dillon gives his best performances when he is playing somebody that is slightly, or sometimes more than slightly, cracked.
American Psycho was a very satirical. I found it very funny (and horrifying).

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation156
Recent bookmarks