The Hour-Glass Sanitorium (1973, Poland, Wojciech Has)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

www.imdb.com/title/tt0070628/

I have never seen it, but I love The Saragossa Manuscript and I wanted to see it for years.

There was a DVD edition available in Poland, but it is now OOP.

Do we have any Polish members? Or is The Hour-Glass Sanitorium available in any other country?

Any help or comments would be most appreciated.

2. Jola P

Jola P Auditioning

Gordon,
    unfortunately, there is no DVD version of the film. Also, in Poland it is only available on VHS (as well as The Saragossa Manuscript and other films by Has).
    Actually, one company has it in their announcement, but they quite often put the release date off.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

That's a real shame, Jola. Am I right in saying that they both very famous films in Poland? The Saragossa Manuscript is an extraordinary film and I'd really love to see more of Has' films, especially The Hourglass Sanitorium.

If it is released in Poland, be sure to post information about it here, Jola.

Thanks!

4. Wojtek

Wojtek Auditioning

Jola's right.

The distributor, Best Film, announced the Polish DVD release of Sanatorium pod Klepsydra (Polish title of the film)some time ago, but has not scheduled it for 2005 (www.bestfilm.pl).

There may be some dispute as to the DVD rights to the movie (surprise, surprise).

Has was a true visionary and a pioneer of surrealist cinema, like Bunuel. Unfortunately, due to the fact that he lived and worked in the obscurity of Communism, outside of Poland he is well-known only among the connoiseurs. In Poland he is counted among many other great Polish directors quite unknown abroad.

I will be checking POlish DVD sites periodically (I am looking for a DVD release of this film, too) and will post when it appears (with English subtitles, hopefully).

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Wojtek!

6. Jola P

Jola P Auditioning

Like you I’m waiting for the DVD (I've got the VHS version), so I’ll write as soon as they get it out. However, the Polish DVDs very rarely have English subtitles.

Yes, The Hourglass Sanatorium is also amazing picture, with complex narration and absolutely stunning art composition, as most of Has' works.
    Nevertheless his films' reception in Poland is not good. It seems to me that they are a little forgotten. There are some people, who are enthusiastic about the pictures (as Wojtek said, Has is considered as one of the greatest directors, but mostly by the critics or filmmakers). Still, to the majority of Poles they are unknown, even the name Has says nothing, despite his films occasionally appear on TV. It's a pity of course, yet it makes the discovery of his outcome really exciting.