What's new

The Horror of being a Trek DVD Fan.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just did a little math, and realized that if one where to buy every set of the 4 series 7 seasons(wich I plan to do up untill enterprise at least), they'd have spent a rather heafty sum..

$2,800 bucks to be exact. Assuming each set is found at $99's online...

Too bad that Paramount dosn't offer some sort of discount for the more loyal fans who buy all 7 sets of one season or another. Say, $50's off two DS9 sets by sending in original receipts or something..

It's been two years or so since these started coming out, and I still only have TNG Season 1, 2, 3, and 6,. I mostly have to wait for Christmas or my Birthday to ask for these, since money is rather tight...

Anyone think a Discount is likley to happen?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They do. TNG came with a $25 rebate if you bought the last 3 seasons before the end of this year

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's another horror: Right now I'm cycling through my TNG discs for the second time, screening one episode a night in chronological order. Last night, I finally got to "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I," the third season-ending cliffhanger.

In the process of opening the cumbersome packaging with the inadequate disc retaining clips, disc four in the set popped out of the nacelle, because the retaining clip had broken off previously. Stupidly, I slid the disc back into place before reaching for disc seven. Instantly I realized my idiotic mistake.

I removed disc four and examined the data side under light. Horrible scratches from end to end around the spindle hole and well into the data area. I'm sure the disc will play fine when I get back to it next year. But it's damaged nonetheless, and I prefer perfect copies.

How to replace a single disc in a seven-disc collection? Well, I know one way of getting the entire set again in a way that won't cost me a thing. But the frustration was such that I had a difficult time enjoying the episode last night.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We've been doing the same thing with TNG, watching one a night in order. I started buying them in season 3 since I reasoned that I already had all of seasons 1 and 2 on LaserDisc. After viewing the beautiful transfers on the DVDs in 3 through 7, when we went back to season 1 on LaserDisc, it was just too inferior. So we decided to shell out some bucks on eBay and scarfed up seasons 1 and 2 for a little over $150 for both sets.

We're in the middle of season 2 now - just finished "Q Who" last night. It looked and sounded magnificent.

I'd held off until now on buying any DS9s, but looking at the list episodes aired in that season, I decided that it was a necessary purchase. Now my wife's getting into the DS9s too, so I fear we may be headed for more season set purchases.

Harry

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, I hear your pain. That $2,800 amount is kind of scary once you think about it, but you know I completely think it's worth it. I own all 7 seasons of Next Generation and the first 3 of DS9 and received plenty of enjoyment out of them.

However I have no intention on buying Voyager.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just got rid of my cable at the beginning of the year, and I apply that $60 a month to my $700 a year Star Trek bill!
TNG and DS9 have been totally worth it-we'll have to see on Voyager.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm with David. TNG, DS9, and the SEs of the movies all combined have put a hurt on my pocketbook. It's very likely I will not get Voyager on DVD unless they have some extremely interesting extras on there to make the set all that appealing. Otherwise, I may just take a breather, get the SEs of whatever movies come next year, and wait until the TOS box sets come out around 2005.

Besides, I gotta save some money for my wedding, y'know... the wedding band, rehearsal dinner, tuxedo, honeymoon... whew!

Which reminds me... to all you Trek fans out there, Seasons 4-7 do make good wedding presents! hint hint! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Of course, everything can seem like a lot of money if you add it up. I calculated that by not bringing my lunch to work every day, I spend almost $2,500 per year on lunches. Or people who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day spend about $2,190 per year, etc.
--------------------------
$14.30 per disc
$3.84 per episode

That's how you gotta look at it.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just did a little math, and realized that if one where to buy every set of the 4 series 7 seasons(which I plan to do up until enterprise at least), they'd have spent a rather hefty sum
What about those of us who purchased VHS tapes of the various series. I had purchased almost all of TNG on VHS, alot of TOS & about 20 DS9 tapes & all of the Voyager tapes that were produced. I'll continue to buy every season set up through "Voyager S7". I will not buy "Enterprise" in any form. I'll keep buying the Feature Film SEs until they quit making Trek films. (I did not buy the non-SE "Nemesis", I'll wait)

I'm a huge Star Trek fan so this is a must buy situation except for "Enterprise". I'm not buying 90% or more of the other TV program sets coming out. I don't like most of it. There are only a few series that I will buy & a majority of those have yet to be released.

Scott-L

Agent
I had gotten every episode of TOS on VHS. Those were one episode per tape and were almost always $20.00 each (and hard to find at that!). So, to put some perspective on it, just getting TOS on VHS in the Good Ol' Days cost almost $1,600.001

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is horribly expensive to be a Trekkie right now (I purchased most of the DS9 eps on VHS and have TNG S1-7, DS9 S1-4 and a handful of TOS eps). Things could be worse though" Paramount could have strung us along and released the season sets every six months like most series' are paced instead of one every other month. The money gets spent so quickly I don't even notice it until I try to balance my checkbook.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I just kind of closed my eyes and snatched up all the TNG sets in a three or four month period earlier this year. I thought I could do without getting the DS9 sets, but those VCD's are starting to look awfully crusty these days...

The good news is that getting the DS9 sets used seems to be a bit cheaper than TNG ever was (although I picked up 6 out of 7 TNG seasons new... *shudder*).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Here's another flip side of the coin:

I'm not actually a Trek fan, but I am so jealous that you Trek fans have SO many DVD's available to buy. Instead of looking at the cost, look at the enjoyment. No matter how much money I'm willing to spend, I will never get more than 3 seasons of "Family Guy" :frowning:

I'd LOVE to be able to have enough Family Guy episodes to be able to spend $2,500 on them :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah! And look at those poor Styar Wars saps! Two movies out. And they're not even the good ones!

I try not to think of how much I'm spending on Star Trek... And Farscape... And Babylon 5 and... oh ferget it!

Ric

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yeah, I'm spending a lot that I don't really need to. I have all 7 seasons of TNG, and the first 4 of DS9, which is a lot, but it's been terrific revisiting all these episodes, especially the 3rd and 4th seasons of DS9 (some awesome eps in there).

I'm just glad there all coming out; I do wish they weren't quite so expensive, but they're definitely great sets. I'm holding off on TOS for the time being (I just know they'll do season sets eventually), and I probably won't be buying Voyager ("Caretaker" and "Living Witness" alone won't be worth the prices of their respective seasons).

So it's all good. Just a few years ago, who would have thought 26 episodes of a series would be available together in a set that was even close to affordable?

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I just started buying my first star trek DVDs. I got DS9: Season 1 for my birthday (I was shocked at how much it cost!) and I just bought myself a brand new sealed copy of DS9: Season 2 on Ebay... for $55 (excellent bargain)! I plan on buying the rest of the sets off of Ebay too. I love Star Trek, but there's no way the DVDs are worth $100 per set. I will be doing the rest of my star trek dvd shopping on ebay. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Early to mid eighties, I bought all 79 episodes of TOS and the TOS films that were out at the time on VHS. Star Trek 2 on VHS and $20 bucks was a big deal! Then the late 80's I bought all 79 episodes (plus the Cage) on laserdisc and films too at the time. Also switched to laserdisc exclusively at that time for movies for the HT. Now in the late 90s and 2000's, I bought all the DVD's for TOS, the films, both barebones and the SE's, TNG season 1 to 7, and now DS9 season 1-4. I may stop once DS9 is done, but once you start, it's hard to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks