What's new

The Horror Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
Dawn of the Dead (the real one)

OK. So here's some blasphemy for you: I like Night of the Living Dead WAY more than the sequel. There you have it. Like with The Thing, I LOVE The Thing From Another World way more than Carpenter's remake. I guess I'm just an oddball. My wife would agree with that statement, and I do believe it's one of the reasons she married me. Anyway - everyone knows the plot of Dawn, so no need to retread. I do enjoy the film, don't get me wrong, however, there was something far more sinister in Night, partially the atmosphere, the claustrophobic nature of the farmhouse setting, the black and white 16mm cinematography. In Dawn, we have far more polish; it's a colorful (downright saturated), open setting. I didn't feel the same tension as I did/do with every screening of Night. Still, I obviously like Dawn enough to rewatch it. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 4. For reference, Night, to me, is a 4 out of 4, and it's one of my favorite horror films along with the original Halloween, the original silent Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, Universal's Frankenstein, and The Shining.

Tales From the Crypt: Fatal Caper

A twisty-turny story about how family members are to fulfill the requirements to obtain the contents of daddy's will. Like most episodes of the series, it's tongue-in-cheek fun. Pretty much every episode that I've seen is worth at least 1 viewing. I recall the first time I saw an episode (can't remember which), but way back on HBO when the series first came out. I've loved it ever since. This episode was a 2.5 out of 4.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show London Cast stage show (2015)

Richard O'Brian celebrates the 40th anniversary with a very fun production. However, there were moments when I wanted to move along quickly, random high-pitched screaming and a song that Brad sings that feels entirely out of sync with the rest of the music. But it was still wonderful, and O'Brian got in on the action at the end of the show, once again doing the Time Warp. 2.75 out of 4.

Beetlejuice (1988)

I have always loved the film. From the first push-in on the town leading to the shot of the spider, I was hooked. The story follows a married couple who passes away and has to learn how to navigate the afterlife. Michael Keaton turns in the performance of his career (until perhaps Birdman) as the title character. The film is filled with energy and it's a signature Tim Burton classic. His style is inspired by German impressionism and he fills his frames with it with glee. 3.5 out of 4.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead, S1E1

This is my first rewatch of the series. I LOVED it when it came out and thought it was a wonderful extension of the franchise. Having watched episode 1 again, I know I'm going to have a groovy time with the series rewatch I have planned for the Scary Movie Challenge this year. As the series begins, we have Ash trying to impress a young woman with poetry, and of course, he uses passages from the Book of the Dead, awakening the pure evil he faced all those years ago. Needless to say, all hell breaks loose. We get to meet some fantastic side characters in this first episode and we see where Ash's life has taken him since the close of Army of Darkness. Spoiler - he's the same ole' fella, only 40-odd years older. The entire series rates a 3.5 out 4.

On an exciting note, the new 120" fixed projector screen arrived yesterday, and I will begin assembling the new home theater tonight. I hope to finish in time for the first screening for the Scary Movie Challenge on Friday.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ash vs. The Evil Dead, S1E1

This is my first rewatch of the series. I LOVED it when it came out and thought it was a wonderful extension of the franchise. Having watched episode 1 again, I know I'm going to have a groovy time with the series rewatch I have planned for the Scary Movie Challenge this year. As the series begins, we have Ash trying to impress a young woman with poetry, and of course, he uses passages from the Book of the Dead, awakening the pure evil he faced all those years ago. Needless to say, all hell breaks loose. We get to meet some fantastic side characters in this first episode and we see where Ash's life has taken him since the close of Army of Darkness. Spoiler - he's the same ole' fella, only 40-odd years older. The entire series rates a 3.5 out 4.
What a great series! That show had a few moments that were so out of control that even I would be shocked/grossed out/laughing hysterically.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Dawn of the Dead (the real one)

OK. So here's some blasphemy for you: I like Night of the Living Dead WAY more than the sequel. There you have it. Like with The Thing, I LOVE The Thing From Another World way more than Carpenter's remake. I guess I'm just an oddball. My wife would agree with that statement, and I do believe it's one of the reasons she married me. Anyway - everyone knows the plot of Dawn, so no need to retread. I do enjoy the film, don't get me wrong, however, there was something far more sinister in Night, partially the atmosphere, the claustrophobic nature of the farmhouse setting, the black and white 16mm cinematography. In Dawn, we have far more polish; it's a colorful (downright saturated), open setting. I didn't feel the same tension as I did/do with every screening of Night. Still, I obviously like Dawn enough to rewatch it. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 4. For reference, Night, to me, is a 4 out of 4, and it's one of my favorite horror films along with the original Halloween, the original silent Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, Universal's Frankenstein, and The Shining.
Amen to your feeling on NOTLD. I like Dawn too but it's overlong and keeps making the same satiric point over and over again. It's fun. But it's not the intense, frightening experience that Night is.

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
Amen to your feeling on NOTLD. I like Dawn too but it's overlong and keeps making the same satiric point over and over again. It's fun. But it's not the intense, frightening experience that Night is.
Night of the living Dead is going be my first film for this year's challenge. I am SO excited to see it on the new screen. My previous screen is a 100" pull down due to having to make the home theater squeeze into the guest bedroom. Now in the permanent home theater (at least in this house), I'll have the 120" fixed screen, which I'm certain will be a far superior experience.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't really choose between Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead because they do different things. Night is a straightforward horror movie where the people deal with the immediate threat of zombies over a night and a large chunk of Dawn is about people dealing with the collapse of society over a number of months.

I'm very against long movies but for me, Dawn actually earns its long run time.

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
I can't really choose between Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead because they do different things. Night is a straightforward horror movie where the people deal with the immediate threat of zombies over a night and a large chunk of Dawn is about people dealing with the collapse of society over a number of months.

I'm very against long movies but for me, Dawn actually earns its long run time.
A great movie is never too long. A bad movie is never too short.

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
Fortunately I did not have many patients today, so I was able to watch a movie at work. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. Though I'm pretty sure I can call watching horror movies research given my field, yeah?

White Zombie (1932)

In which we watch a close up of Bela's eyes and/or hands for approximately 45 minutes of the lean 67 minute runtime. Here we have a creepy, atmospheric, non-brain-eating zombie picture where a couple is to be married, but Bela and a host of zombie shenanigans get in the way. Bela steals the show, as he always does with his magnetic presence. 3 out of 4.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Watched 9/29/2021 - Rating out of a possible 4
skull.gif

All are first time viewings, including 2 Netflix films.

1) Blind Date (1984)
skull.gif
1/2

Ad man goes blind after hitting his head on a tree branch. The doctors can find nothing wrong physically so he gets experimental treatment which helps him see via a computer the size of a Walkman which interfaces with his brain. Meanwhile a cab-driving serial killer is abducting women and doing horrible things to them. Potentially intriguing thriller/sci-fi/horror hybrid is more interested in its gimmick than telling a compelling story. The death sequences are repetitive and exploitive, the film overlong, and the main characters bland. And that ending stinks.

2) No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Because she is not a US Citizen, a young immigrant woman takes residence in an ultra-cheap motel while she tries to secure fake ID in hopes of getting a good job. But no matter how hard she tries, she just can't seem to catch a break. Worse are the strange sounds she hears at night from her apartment, her frequent nightmares involving her dead mother, and the fact that the landlord's brother who lives upstairs has some major mental issues. This is one atmospheric, creepy-as-hell chiller with some social commentary thrown in for good measure. At only 87 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome, and builds to brutal, freaky finale.

3) Death of Me (2020)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Married couple vacationing in Thailand wake up the last day of their trip with no memory of the night before. Unable to leave because they lost their passports, things take a shocking turn when hubby finds a video on his phone that shows him strangling and then burying his wife! Intriguing WTF-is-going-on tale would have worked better with a shorter running time as things start to get repetitive before the big reveal. But the lead performances are good, as is the location work.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Watched 9/30/2021 - Rating out of a possible 4
skull.gif

Blood Ceremony (1973)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Interesting take on the Elizabeth Báthory story. An aging aristocrat discovers the blood of virgins will keep her looking youthful. Her husband gets involved taking advantage of the locals' belief in vampires to explain the murdered women! Visually attractive, the film is more horrific psychologically than viscerally. Drags in spots but this an overall better take on the blood countess legend than Hammer's Countess Dracula.

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
I missed what your field of work is. You mentioned patients, but will you provide more background?
Sure. I'm a forensic psychologist and my patients are all felons - pretty much every crime you can think of, however, the majority are murderers and serial killers. I wrote my dissertation on psychopathy. So that's my world entirely. I was even fortunate enough to have one of the most notorious serial killers in history as a patient for a brief stint! I'm just a lucky fella, I guess. :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
After a long break posting, I'm getting caught up!

Found (2012)

I was apprehensive based on the earlier post. It was an interesting premise, and most of the splatter/gore was in Headless, the "movie within a movie". It was decent, but I sort of figured out where it was headed about 2/3 of the way through. I'd be interested in seeing a remake with a better cast (most of the adults are awful, the kids are pretty good, though) and some tighter direction.
2.5/5

F6EB7827-9852-4352-B8A7-5CA156E392FC.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sure. I'm a forensic psychologist and my patients are all felons - pretty much every crime you can think of, however, the majority are murderers and serial killers. I wrote my dissertation on psychopathy. So that's my world entirely. I was even fortunate enough to have one of the most notorious serial killers in history as a patient for a brief stint! I'm just a lucky fella, I guess. :)
Not sure why I didn’t see this till now. That’s quite a tease in your post and I won’t ask you to reveal a name since patient confidentiality is involved. I suppose you could consider watching horror movies a break from your work life. ;)

Is there a movie killer that comes to mind where you though that the film makers got it right, or mostly right? What’d you think of Hannibal Lector?

JasonRoer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Roer
Not sure why I didn’t see this till now. That’s quite a tease in your post and I won’t ask you to reveal a name since patient confidentiality is involved. I suppose you could consider watching horror movies a break from your work life. ;)

Is there a movie killer that comes to mind where you though that the film makers got it right, or mostly right? What’d you think of Hannibal Lector?
Well, it's been a crazy few days in the world of forensic psychology over here, so my brain is fried. Consequently, I'm drawing a blank on serial killer movie characters that are realistic. One thing though - many people wrongfully assume all serial killers are psychopaths, when in fact - nope. They are high in psychopathy to be sure, but many do not rise to the level of a psychopath. That aside - most movies/TV start out with good intentions, and then in the all-mighty name of Hollywood, screw it all up so they can sensationalize a sequence. Ugh. It drives me nuts when someone ALMOST has it. It's worse than something that was never close.

As for Hannibal - I will say that while I can't determine if he is a psychopath (namely because he's a movie character and I can't interview him, and there simply isn't enough information to make that determination from the film/TV/books), he is a fantastic example of an intelligent serial killer. The truth is, if a serial killer does not want to be discovered, he/she will not be discovered. There are likely thousands out there in our world. Hannibal is an example of someone who did not need to be found. He made one mistake that frankly, I don't believe he would have made in real life given his intelligence and background. What I like about the character of Hannibal Lecter is the research into cannibalism that was clearly done. Basically, spot on. Almost all of the guys I treat (killers/serial killers) have Antisocial Personality Disorder, are high in psychopathy, and have a host of other Axis II disorders, however, most are not psychopaths.

Anyway, if I do think of other examples, I'll post about them. But right now - I need a long sleep!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
The Night House (2020)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2 (out of four)

Rebecca Hall plays a recent widow who suspects her husband of 14 years is haunting her. To learn why, she starts checking his phone, computer, etc. and makes some unpleasant discoveries. Hall is great as the emotionally distraught Beth who is put through the wringer as she investigates. Director David Bruckner does a mostly fine job maintaining an uneasy atmosphere and never lets the film become merely a sequence of jump scares. Unfortunately the big reveal is unsatisfying and too many questions are left unanswered. Probably worth seeing for Hall's performance alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HDDVD Hunter
Recent bookmarks