What's new

The Horror Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
hor·ror [hawr-er]
–noun
1. an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear: "to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror".
2. centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events.

I love the Horror Genre - I can't think of another type of movie that makes me want to watch as much as it forces me to look away. So many things fall under the banner of 'Horror, from the walking dead, machete weilding men, cannibals, psychopaths, werewolves, witches, aliens, and all manner of sick and twisted things in between.

The Horror Genre has produced some wickedly fantastic movies through the years. Some of them so good they're bad and some so bad, they're good. When I think through the genre and the great cinematic treats it has given us, likeThe Blob, Night of the Living Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, The Thing, The Birds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Rabid, The Fly and so many more, I find that the genre still has plenty to say and freak us out with.

So, share your favorites - share with others those hidden gems that haven't found a wide audience, defend your love of those crappy horror movies that have a special place in your heart (come on, you know which ones I am talking about) and anything else you want to say about the genre we love.

While you can find a great discussion on Zombie movies at the superb Zombie Appreciation Thread, I am hoping you will share your love of the horror genre and thoughts on the movies they fill the screen with blood, guts and scares that insist you change your trousers here!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I searched and could not find an existing thread - maybe because that one hasn't been touched since '05. Mods, I'll leave it to you whether these threads should merge.

thanks!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Looking forward to posting here!

Thanks for mentioning the ZMAT! It's still here but I have slowed down as (I've pretty much scraped the barrel clean of extant zombie movie releases. Now I'm forced to wait for upcoming films as well as tracking down hard to find items.) :frowning:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I always like to give a shout-out to the movie "Event Horizon" when people are discussion horror movies that are less known.

This movie really creeped me out. More than most horror movies. I also like that it is sort of a crossover Sci-Fi/Horror movie.

I cut my teeth on the slasher movies, but as I get older I am really starting to gravitate more toward the Sci-Fi/Horror type movies. Like the Alien Movies and The Thing.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

I totally agree on Event Horizon - I saw that in the theater and was gripped to my seat. It hasn't made it's way to Hi-Def yet, but I will pick it up as soon as it does.

Sci-Fi horror is like mixing my favourite cake with my favourite ice-cream - there's just no way to lose :)

Another movie that I like, but isn't all that great, is Mimic - I think it was well made and pretty darn creepy. How can you not love a horror movie about a roach-man!!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead (1968 version), and The Entity are films that truly frightened me when I first saw them. There will probably be others added as I give this more thought.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

No Kidding. Did you check out Diary of the Dead? I am interested to know if his intriguing approach produced a worthy flick!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw a French horror flick called "Inside". I watch a lot of horror movies and I don't get disturbed by much but I thought this one was pretty intense. Don't want to give too much away but it involves a pregnant woman and a very disturbed home invader.

On the lighter side, I really enjoyed "Teeth" about a girl with a toothed vagina. Kind of painful for men to watch but as the father of a young girl I could definitely root for the young lady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks