What's new

The Honkers (1972)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Honkers (1972)

Tagline: A honker is a rough bull or bronc that can't be broken. Lew Lathrop is a honker!

Genre: Comedy, Western, Action

Director: Steve Ihnat

Cast: James Coburn, Lois Nettleton, Slim Pickens, Anne Archer, Richard Anderson, Joan Huntington, Jim Davis, Ramon Bieri, Ted Eccles, Mitchell Ryan

Release: 1972-05-17

Runtime: 102

Plot: An over-the-hill rodeo champion is so self-centered that he ignores his wife, son, and best friend.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is one of those sort of forgotten pictures that I'd like to see on Blu-ray, a search for it seems to turn up nothing, can't even find the trailer for it on youtube. Just this...

It's a United Artists picture and I wonder if Kino might pick this up.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
This is one of those sort of forgotten pictures that I'd like to see on Blu-ray, a search for it seems to turn up nothing, can't even find the trailer for it on youtube. Just this...

It's a United Artists picture and I wonder if Kino might pick this up.

Oddly enough, The Honkers is part of a trend of modern-day cow-boy films done in the early Seventies:
see J.W. Coop (1971), Junior Bonner (1972).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Oddly enough, The Honkers is part of a trend of modern-day cow-boy films done in the early Seventies:
see J.W. Coop (1971), Junior Bonner (1972).

Yes, I have both of those pictures in my collection. Bonner on blu and Coop on DVD. I think the only hope of The Honkers coming out is Kino. It's got an excellent cast and would be a very cool release as I am not sure if this film even got a VHS release.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Yes, I have both of those pictures in my collection. Bonner on blu and Coop on DVD. I think the only hope of The Honkers coming out is Kino. It's got an excellent cast and would be a very cool release as I am not sure if this film even got a VHS release.

The Honkers had no VHS release. I wish I could watch it because it is a must-see for James Coburn aficionados.
It's a rare film and hard to watch because it was not directed by a big name but by an actor, mostly known for his television output. Oddly enough, the producers team was related to a western tv series: The Big Valley.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

Speaking of rodeo, there used to be trend on television in the early Sixties:
Stoney Burke
The Wide Country

That trend started from the end of the Golden Age:
see Nicholas Ray's The Lusty Men and John Huston's The Misfits.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I finally watched The Honkers and it is the companion piece to Junior Bonner or should I say it’s James Coburn’s answer to Steve McQueen’s Junior Bonner. The tone is different because of the leading actor’s idiosyncrasy and sightly grim but it’s a good film on the whole (actors, script, film-making). Recommended.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I finally watched The Honkers and it is the companion piece to Junior Bonner or should I say it’s James Coburn’s answer to Steve McQueen’s Junior Bonner. The tone is different because of the leading actor’s idiosyncrasy and sightly grim but it’s a good film on the whole (actors, script, film-making). Recommended.

Where and how did you watch it, John? Is this streaming? I've never found it anywhere, at least up to the time I made the post about it here.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks