What's new

Blu-ray Review The Honeymooners: Classic 39 Episodes Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You're welcome, Tony. One additional clarification, though. They didn't do retakes. The reason Gleason used the Electronicam system rather than the standard 35mm cameras was that he really treated it as a live broadcast. They didn't stop for scene changes or retakes, so the films do reflect what the studio audience saw.

Isn't it amazing though, that arguably the finest season of television ever produced was shot without retakes, filmed at a rate of two episodes a week, and aired 39 episodes (three were held back for the fall, but they had been filmed with the others)? The conditions seem impossible, but the results were so outstanding. Glad you'll be enjoying this set for many years to come!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You're welcome, Tony. One additional clarification, though. They didn't do retakes. The reason Gleason used the Electronicam system rather than the standard 35mm cameras was that he really treated it as a live broadcast. They didn't stop for scene changes or retakes, so the films do reflect what the studio audience saw.

Isn't it amazing though, that arguably the finest season of television ever produced was shot without retakes, filmed at a rate of two episodes a week, and aired 39 episodes (three were held back for the fall, but they had been filmed with the others)? The conditions seem impossible, but the results were so outstanding. Glad you'll be enjoying this set for many years to come!
So, unlike the NFL, THE HONEYMOONERS Classic 39 has NO separate Blooper Reel!

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading (quite recently, in fact!) that no subsequent retakes, or even pick up shots were done! The cast and crew had to rely on getting the production sorted out during rehearsals. Given the spectacular results, this was a truly remarkable collective achievement!

I'm especially looking forward to viewing the episodes that include the surviving openings and closings which, however flawed the source elements may be, will provide a closer to original night of broadcast experience, that I wasn't around to see!

CHEERS! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks, Lee. I didn't get a chance to elaborate on my answer and as far as I know you are correct. That is what I remember being told at the Museum of Radio & TV when they did the premiere of the "lost" episodes back in the early 80s.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ron Simon, the curator of the Museum, wrote a lot of great stuff about the series. I remember the whole emotional gamut when I went there to see the first showings of the lost episodes as a kid: excitement, disappointment, fascination.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm a bit disappointed that my set didn't arrive this week!

While technically, the estimated delivery date is between May 13 - 20, I typically find that shipments from Import CDs arrive ahead of the earliest date!

I'm a bit concerned that they used DHL Global Systems instead of the USPS, this time around! Hopefully, this won't prove to be a long, drawn out affair, full of drama!

Apart from the "Twas The Night Before Christmas" Episode, this will be the first Honeymooners set for me, and I'm a bit anxious to receive it!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As of today's Mail Delivery, I still haven't received my order! :P

My main concern is that if by chance, the shipment got misdirected (Tracking capability is NOT included for this order!), Import CDs will only refund my order, not ship a replacement! The problem with that in this case, is their current asking price for THE HONEYMOONERS "CLASSIC 39 EPISODE" set is around $7 higher than the $38.10 CDN (Including shipping) I paid. While this may not seem like a big deal, I have to watch EVERY penny I spend, plus I don't like the prospect of having to shell out more $$ for an item that I've already paid for once because of SOMEBODY ELSE'S screwup--I'm kind of quirky, that way! ;)

To order this set directly via Amazon Canada, the pre 13% tax price is currently over $65, so that's not an option for me, either! That Amazon.com has it at what would be a very affordable price ($24.42 USD), if not for the added $$ for shipping/import fee/exchange rate, makes it all the more frustrating! EDIT: Upon checking, U.S. Amazon won't ship this item to my Canadian Address, anyway--Stupid Bloody Asinine B.S! I mean, does a designated Amazon higher up selectively pull this garbage just to tick people off? It's not like Canadian Brick & Mortar Outlets don't get CBS/Paramount titles for Gawd Sake, so they can't cite the International Release Rights bugaboo as an excuse, in this case!

Hopefully, my set will arrive by Friday (May 20), which is the outside Estimated Day of Delivery! I'll post here if/when it does!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, just keep following up on the situation and if it doesn't come in by the week's end, I'd call the place you bought this from and have them send you a new set free of charge.
Hi Richard!

Thanks, but that's just the problem, Import CDs WON'T send a replacement! I discovered this surprising fact in the fall of 2014 when, after I had ordered the A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-ray/DVD combo for which, I found out later the originally included DVD with Bonus Features that differed from the Blu-ray had been ordered to be replaced with the identical DVD version of the Blu-ray; but long before that, they had informed me that they only do refunds, NO exchanges or replacements! I believe it may have been because they generally found it less expensive that way, rather than having to ship another item, but I may just be spitballing here! I also remember being more than a bit shocked at the time, but it does seem to me that more Amazon Marketplace Vendors are going the "Refund only" route!

Regarding contacting Import CDs, partly because this will be our upcoming long May 24 weekend, I'll likely give my shipment until at least the middle of next week to arrive before I contact them, though hopefully, it won't come to that!

Tony

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'd just like to reiterate the good advice given to you from Richard W. and Stephen...Tony, I too am in Canada and like yourself, I order from Import CD via Amazon marketplace for the same reasons you do...not just on price, but because I've discovered now that it's the best and most affordable way for me to receive most Warner Archive titles...their service is great, and I've never had a purchase go missing...of the many orders I've had through Import CD, only a very few have arrived shortly after the expected delivery date window...most arrived in that window, and a very few faster than expected...

I hope you get your Honeymooners 39 before the long weekend.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd just like to reiterate the good advice given to you from Richard W. and Stephen...Tony, I too am in Canada and like yourself, I order from Import CD via Amazon marketplace for the same reasons you do...not just on price, but because I've discovered now that it's the best and most affordable way for me to receive most Warner Archive titles...their service is great, and I've never had a purchase go missing...of the many orders I've had through Import CD, only a very few have arrived shortly after the expected delivery date window...most arrived in that window, and a very few faster than expected...

I hope you get your Honeymooners 39 before the long weekend.

Hi Randall!

I'm with you 100% regarding Import CDs fantastic service! It's only our local Mail Delivery where I sometimes get a bit nervous, as they've been known to pop it in the wrong box every now and then, although our current regular postal delivery guy is very good, and goes that little bit of extra effort!

Anyway, today is a new day, and hopefully my Honeymooners blus will finally arrive! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some bad news and some good news:

The Bad News - My Honeymooners Blu-ray set STILL hasn't arrived! :(

The Good News - Our local Postal Delivery guy IS well aware of it! :D

I guess that like Ralph Kramden's impatience for success with one of his "Get rich quick" schemes, I'm MASSIVELY impatient for my set to arrive! :unsure:

It's just a matter of reminding myself that I've waited about a Baker's Dozen years since the release of THE HONEYMOONERS "CLASSIC 39" DVD set, to get this series! Hopefully, it'll be just a little bit longer?
There's no need for me to go Bananas, at least not yet! :dance::rock::drum::banana::dancing-banana-04:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thank you very much, Richard and Bigshot, for your helpful inputs! :)

For now, I'm of the mindset that I'll likely wait until about the end of the month (Assuming I have to wait that long!) before I make any contact with the seller. This is in part, due to my having decided to take part of Richard's advice in trying for getting a replacement, rather than a refund, because, should it come to pass, I don't feel that I should have to reorder the same item from the same merchant at a higher price due to somebody else's cock up! Whether this stems from one of the shipping concerns, or the vendor itself shouldn't make any difference, in my opinion, and I should be allowed an exchange option, if I so prefer!

That said, in exchange for the above, I think I'm willing to give a bit of latitude regarding the time it takes for my shipment to pass through the various channels, however impatient I might get. Bigshot's post reminded me that, while the international shipping has been faster for me more recently, slowdowns can happen at any time, so I will allow for this!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another day, another not yet received shipment! :P

The postal guy looking at me and saying with a slightly bemused expression "Sorry, no parcels today!" as he was driving by was a bit amusing, I must admit! :3dglasses:

I've simply had to resign myself to the fact that my Honeymooners Blu-ray set has taken the proverbial slow boat to China, and apart from contacting Import CDs at what I determine to be an appropriate time, there's little I can do about it! :)

One more day before our long weekend! (Sorry, no Saturday Delivery for us Canucks, Richard!)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, then give it until Tuesday end of business day at the latest and if that item doesn't then come in, THEN you telephone or e-mail Import CDs and let them know you either want a replacement set free of charge or you are to be FULLY refunded your money for what you paid for said item and that includes shipping and handling as well. You've given them enough leeway as it is and you have to call an audible here and to protect your interests, just in case something might have happened to said parcel.
If it comes down to me contacting Import CDs, my plan will be to aim for the replacement, as I've waited a very long time to get THE HONEYMOONERS "CLASSIC 39" in any form, and don't wish to collect the refund, then have to plunk down more $, since Import CDs current pricing for the Blu-ray set is more than what I initially paid, and I don't feel that I should have to shell out anything extra for someone else's screwup during the shipping process, if that is what happened! In fact, I'm seriously considering INSISTING on a replacement on that basis.

In short, I don't WANT a refund (Which Import CDs would pay out in full, including shipping in the event, so no worries there!) for an unarrived set, I do WANT the set itself without having to pay the current higher post refund price, and I'll bloody well fight for it, should it come down to that!

You see, like Ralph Kramden, I can be stubborn and pigheaded when the situation calls for it! :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, we've just had our last day of Mail Delivery prior to the long weekend, and my Honeymooners Blu-ray set STILL HAS NOT ARRIVED! :(

While I've been vacillating back and forth in terms of how to deal with an unarrived shipment and the appropriate timing in which to do so, I've decided that Amazon's "Expected By May 20" (NOT May 24, which is now the earliest that I now MAY even receive this!) delivery date was predetermined for a reason!

Part of me is considering making contact with Import CDs today, if for no other reason than to let them know that my shipment will now definitely be late. If there's an explanation along the lines of there being a current known major Customs backup that wasn't accounted for in the Amazon based estimate, I'm willing to work with them regarding that! The real problem is the lack of ability to track my Blu-ray set, which would at least let me know if it got misdirected somewhere along the way. Hey, a couple years back, I had a used MGM 'Our Gang' DVD set, whose shipment originated 4 hours drive from us got misdirected by Canada Post, and ended up in Halifax, Nova Scotia for the love of Gawd! Fortunately, that item (obviously) did include tracking, although the Vendor said this feature didn't apply to all of their shipments!

As Import CDs is based in California, who knows where my parcel might be sitting? All I know is, I haven't received it, and I thought for sure at the beginning of this week that I would have it by THIS weekend at least!

I suppose this is where the Drama I hoped wouldn't take place begins! :unsure:

P.S. I've contacted Import CDs regarding the matter, and voiced my wanting them to send a replacement if necessary, at no extra charge, NOT issue a refund, which would put me in a position of reordering the same set at a higher price point! Basically, I'm digging in my heels here! :P

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, not unlike Ralph Kramden, I'm beginning to get a bit steamed! :angry:

Yes, I know that $#!? occasionally happens when it comes to the shipping of items.

However, what really ticks me off is the feeling of being jerked around! :angry:

Is it too much to ask of Amazon Marketplace and the corresponding vendors to get their bloody $#!? together in regards to expected delivery dates? Amazon says May 13 - 20, while Import CDs told me in their correspondence May 27, with the usual caveats attached! In my reply, I clearly outlined MY terms of how I want this handled should my shipment NOT arrive by Import CDs expected Delivery Date!

I've decided that I'm not taking any effing B.S. lying down! :P

And aaaawaaaay we go! ;)

EDIT: In an additional detail in Import CDs correspondence, they indicated my item was shipped from Shepherdsville, Kentucky, USA. Even travelling by ground, this is only about half a day's drive from where I live!

So why has this shipment taken almost 2 and half bloody weeks, and counting? I've had overseas shipments arrive WAY faster!! AARRGGHH!!!!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, this is just getting effing ridiculous!

It appears that Import CDs is now outsourcing their Customer Service! I have little tolerance for badly written, severely misspelled Email correspondence. They used to be a better company than that!

Below is a copy and paste of Import CDs latest Email correspondence:

Dear Customer,

unfortunately, tracking is not available.

The majority og our orders do arrive within the stated delivery time. It does happen that in some cases it takes longer. Therefore, we give us a maximum of 30 business days, before we issue a refund.

To check your open orders and your order history please visit: My Amazon Account

Farhana
Customer Service

What? No f*cking replacement option? What a f*cking crock of $#!?!!!!

If this is Import CDs new normal for "Customer Service", I'm bloody well done with them!! What a stupid outsourcing pile of crap!!!!

As it stands, I'll wait out the 30 days only because I REALLY want this Honeymooners Blu-ray set!

Another quality company done in by cutting too many corners in the name of saving $$! What a bloody shame!! :(

What makes this one really sting is that I almost ordered from another vendor at around the same price ($34 pre shipping), but went with Import CDs based on my past positive experience with them! I'll sure remember this most negative one for awhile! :(

To the Moon, Import CDs! :angry:

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks
Here is their phone number after having to dig through the net to find it...
949-225-1170
CUSTOMER SERVICE at ImportCDS.com
Thank you very kindly, Richard! I may give that a try next week, as our long weekend has just began!

What really stings is that Import CDs has pretty much been my go to for competitive pricing and good solid customer service over the past 4 years. This is the first badly written correspondence I've EVER received from them, which indicates to me that getting a hold of someone that speaks English as their first language might prove a challenge! Whenever I experience this with a supposed Canada or U.S. based company, I start seeing Red Flags!

Apart from a need on my part to vent, I felt that I ought to inform other HTF members of today's experience with Import CDs, as I know quite a lot of them have had much dealings with them, and they ought to be made aware of their apparent recent downhill turn!

To think I passed up another third party Amazon Canada Marketplace vendor for this! I simply can't afford to go with any of the other ones listed with the current $50 and up pricing for a Brand new set, and I will NEVER order from Import CDs again after this--Words I never thought I'd be using for that once reputable company!

Anyway Richard, I hope that you have a great weekend! I'll be sure to post here when/if my Honeymooners shipment arrives, or if I end up having to settle for a refund, instead!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just discovered that longtime 60 Minutes Journalist/Reporter, Canadian Born Morley Safer passed away last week, on the same day as Scottish Born/Canadian Raised Alan Young, the latter being most famous as Mr. Ed's human sidekick Wilbur, and as the voice of Scrooge McDuck! May they both Rest in Peace!

So why do I even mention Morley Safer's passing within a Honeymooners Blu-ray Topic? Because of his 60 Minutes Interview with Jackie Gleason from 1984 that's included among the Bonus Features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks