"The Honeymooners" (2005) DVD - full screen only?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    from www.davisdvd.com:

I've never seen it and I know it was a major flop but full screen only? I won't even bother renting it if true.

2. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Full screen and edited to PG from PG-13. Wow, I didn't think I could be any less interested in this film, but somebody made it happen.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Someone contact Roger Ebert about this. He was the only major critic to like the film. Plus, he will surely be upset about the editing and the full screen only aspect of it.

4. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I liked Honeymooners. *diverts head from rotten tomatos* And this is an abonimation. I know with Josey and the Pussycats, they at least made both versions available, but I just do not understand the justification.

Ryan

5. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

For a brand new movie to be released ONLY in an edited, full screen version in this day and age is ridiculous. [​IMG]

Granted I had no interest in seeing this movie but EVERY movie deserves to be released properly. No matter how bad one might think a movie is, somebody somewhere likes it and they deserve the best possible presentation.

Big thumbs down for Paramount if this is true.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Never say never but I really, really doubt it. Other than Cats And Dogs (and that was because it was a "kid's movie"), I can't even think of a current movie that hasn't had a widescreen release. Maybe there's others, I'm not thinking of but I doubt Paramount is trying to start releasing full frame only of a current movie.

If anything, they want to try to make some money with this movie and releasing it in full frame only isn't going to help[​IMG]

I'll echo other people's sentiments that I wouldn't watch it full or wide but it deserves it a widescreen release.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Cats And Dogs has a WS release. Good Boy doesn't. Neither did Big Fat Liar.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I knew that Cats & Dogs eventually got a widescreen release (eventhough I didn't mention it:b )

Sucks about Good Boy and Big Fat Liar (if you're a fan) but that reinforces my theory of kid's movies get full frame only and that's about it.

9. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I bet this isn't right. Paramount doesn't usually make this kind of mistake. I don't care about the movie, but for those who do i would wait to see what someone else in the know says.

10. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Wasn't SNOW DOGS and MASTER OF DISGUISE released fullscreen only?

11. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

The Widescreen version of Cats & Dogs was released the same day as the Fullscreen. (I bought it on release day). I think what happened was that Warner had originally announced that it would be Fullscreen only, but due to overwhelming public demand, they were persuaded into making the Widescreen version as well.

12. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I know Snow Dogs is only available in fullscreen. [​IMG]

Such a shame as the scenery in that film deserves to be seen in widescreen. Shame on Disney.

13. Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin Stunt Coordinator

From dvdanswers.com

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I wonder if a PG-13 widescreen version will be released in the future. HOPEFULLY this will not be a trend with Paramount and the FULL FRAME transfers only. They have been the only consistant studio to release everything in its OAR.

[​IMG]

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Paramount released "Jimmy Hollywood" only in an edited version, but that was at the request of the director. They even had it out in both aspect ratios on laserdisc; don't know what the point of that was. With DVD there's no reason not to include the theatrical version.

Recently "Baby Geniuses 2" was put out only in an edited foolscreen version- a shame, since I wanted to see how bad it was.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I got a screener of Honeymooners today - it's indeed available only in fullscreen. I'm shocked that Paramount did this, as they've always been so supportive of widescreen transfers. Other studios have done FS-only releases, but I think this is the first from Paramount.

I didn't plan to review this one anyway, but the FS transfer makes it a certainty I'll skip it... [​IMG]

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Even if it's not a film you like, this is a BAD sign of things to come. What if the next time it IS something you want?

18. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

The OAR of the new "Honeymooners" is 2.35 (Super35).

For Paramount to release a FS transfer is surprising, unless they feel the target audience hates WS.

I guess for the hardcore fans there's always the Blu-ray version...someday.

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's disgusting- no movie deserves to be released only in a pan and scan and EDITED version, even if it did next to no business in the theaters. Paramount's mostly had a good track record so far, but shame on them for this.

20. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Incorrect aspect ratios really stink. Hopefully Paramount is not going to keep releasing widescreen films to DVD like this. Oh well - maybe the studio also thinks this new Honeymooners was a dumb idea that should never have been done in the first place. [​IMG]