What's new

The Home Improvement Thread - What Have You Done To Your House/Apt. Recently? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought blackout curtains for the theater yesterday but I’m returning them today. Being in a hurry with very little free time for in depth curtain research, I opted to try some cheap Mainstays blackout curtains from Walmart. After getting them home and opening the first one, I discovered why they only cost $9 per panel. They’re supposed to be blackout but you can see silhouettes through them and the room was just as bright after putting them up as it was before with no curtains. Back in the package they went and I took a few minutes to research and order some highly rated 100% blackout curtains from Amazon. They shipped this morning for Tuesday delivery so we’ll see how well they do.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Besides the lower total cost of ownership, the greatest benefit to LEDs is no heat. Our upstairs temp dropped a full 3° in the evenings by removing the heat-producing bulbs.
We’ve tried to LED, but they’re dying after 3 to 12 months. I’ve been super disappointed with them. I can’t get 1 year, much less ten year, life.

ordered a couple of new CREE-brand lights, hoping they’ll last.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Besides the lower total cost of ownership, the greatest benefit to LEDs is no heat. Our upstairs temp dropped a full 3° in the evenings by removing the heat-producing bulbs.

The trickiest thing with LEDs, to me, was finding ones that are suitable for enclosed fixtures. I have three enclosed ceiling light fixtures that have LED bulbs. I also have LED floodlights for my driveway and back yard, and LED bulbs for my front porch. I was surprised to find that the LED bulbs don't attract insects as much as incandescents do. I live in a low crime neighborhood but I figure that if anyone is prowling around at night they will avoid a house that has outside lights on. I agree that the coolness is a plus.

My latest project was replacing all of my gutters and downspouts with new ones that have leaf guards. The old gutters were beginning to leak and I'm too old to be climbing on a ladder every fall.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I “temporarily” installed string lights over the back patio last summer. Finally got around to making them permanent today. I installed a stainless steel cable and then zip tied the lights to it.
image.jpg

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The trick is having attachment points. That post was one that I inserted into an existing lattice, and I had to install another post, but I put a ring solar camera on it so it does double duty. I got the stainless cable on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks