What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Originally Posted by Raasean Asaad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the tolkien estate has not received any royalties or meager royalies then I agree with them forcing production to shut down.
I wish the production would get shut down because I don't like the sound of the direction that Jackson and company are taking this project. I'm a huge LOTR fan and would love to see The Hobbit made into a film but, this expanding it into 2 or 3 movies just sounds like too much filler will have to added by PJ. I'm just not too interested in that.
The Tolkiens should get there royalties no matter what and, I agree with Edwin that it is just so hypocritical of Studios to go so hard after pirates yet try and escape paying royalties to the original authors and creators.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
You want production shut down because you don't want to see a certain take the material? Will its existence bother you so much that simply not seeing it won't be good enough? Are you just as ardent in hoping that paintings, songs, video games, etc. that "expand on" Tolkien's creation don't get made? I've yet to see any paintings inspired by Tolkien's works that aren't full of details not even described by Tolkien. Do those really trouble you?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
New Line's dubious claim that the Lord of the Rings films had not made any profits, and that they therefore could not pay the estate of JRR Tolkein a single cent, has ended:
"The heirs of J.R.R. Tolkien and a movie studio that produced the blockbuster "Lord of the Rings" trilogy have settled a lawsuit over the film's profits. ...the agreement's terms are confidential."
abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So it's probably safe to assume the settlement will allow filming to proceed on "The Hobbit"? I cannot see the studio agreeing to any settlement that would prevent them from making more movies.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Wow is Warner Bros. ever shady, that's pretty shameful that they had to be taken to court.

They probably would've dragged it on for years too if they didn't have the cash cow carrot of two more LOTR (err ... Hobbit) movies to cash in on.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's not behavior exclusive to Warner Bros. Other studios have done the same thing with very successful movies (check out Paramount and Eric Roth's fight over Forrest Gump). Nevertheless, it is good that they settled and that work can continue in earnest on The Hobbit.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
According to the Hollywood Reporter:

But in a statement on the settlement, Christopher Tolkien says, "The Trustees regret that legal action was necessary, but are glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow the Tolkien Trust properly to pursue its charitable objectives. The Trustees acknowledge that New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of 'The Hobbit.'"

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26035
Ian McKellen Talks The Hobbit

Exclusive: Sir Ian on his geek project

First up: The Hobbit. It’s been known for some while now that Sir Ian would be reprising his role as Gandalf (the Grey variety this time) for Guillermo del Toro’s Lord of the Rings prequel. But he had a few additional titbits to spill this time around.

“The scripts for the two films will be delivered very soon,” he revealed. “Then they'll be budgeted, and then they'll be cast. And they'll be going when they've always said they would be, which is next spring – March or April. Guillermo even told me at one point, 'We're going to film for 383 days.' He's got that artistic autism! Jackson's the same; they're very, very, very alike. They also very different, but they've so much in common.
They both can't stand Hollywood and have wonderful imaginations, and they're both obsessed with gore and fantasy. Both of them laugh a great deal. Guillermo's one of the most brilliant men I've ever met. His English vocabulary is way superior to mine!”
There’s been fervent speculation about the possible return of other Rings cast members, with the likes of Legolas and Aragorn in the frame for cameos, but Sir Ian isn’t convinced.
“Unforunately, there won’t be many of the actors going back,” he said, “unless they’re going to put masks on and be disguised as dwarves! Andy Serkis is, at the moment, I think, the only other actor who’s doing this film.”

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Looks like The hobbit has been pushed back:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b164103_hobbit_pulls_spider-man.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't Mckellan have to be cast for this? Gandalf does make an appearance in the beginning of the book.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, it's the end of January 2010. There is almost no way to have the first movie in theaters by Dec. 2011; that's the reality of making this kind of big-budget, effects-laden picture. Add to that the fact that scripts aren't completed, and it means they need more time. Add to that the fact that one of the studios involved is in the process of accepting bids for its business and/or going through bankruptcy, and it means a lot more time is needed.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Guillermo Del Toro is leaving The Hobbit, mainly due to all the production delays (aka the MGM fiasco).

From theonering.net:

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm sort of glad that he is pulling the pin. I don't think he was ever suited for Tolkien's material. His fantasy work is dark and generally ugly: in that he generally explores the ugly side of the human pysche and his creations show it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Actually, I'm sort of glad that he is pulling the pin. I don't think he was ever suited for Tolkien's material. His fantasy work is dark and generally ugly: in that he generally explores the ugly side of the human pysche and his creations show it.
"Dark" I'll give you but I can't think of one instance in Hellboy or Hellboy II that is ugly. I think he has a sense of humor that would have suited The Hobbit very well. My hope is that whoever takes over as director has the vision, craft and ability to get great performances from his actors.

Who should take the helm (besides Peter Jackson)?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Peter Jackson is now negotiating to direct!!

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent-peter-jackson-negotiating-to-direct-the-hobbit-films/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

EXCLUSIVE: In what amounts to a dream come true for fans of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit, trusted sources are telling me. His deal is being negotiated right now with Warner Bros , New Line and MGM.
He will shortly take the reins over from Guillermo del Toro, after Jackson extricates himself from other project obligations that caused Jackson and manager Ken Kamins to initially deny he would be the director. While Jackson’s camp has been tight-lipped, I’m told that the case is being made to MGM's owners to loosen the purse strings and make the movies happen. The impetus for these talks is that Jackson will be the director of both of The Hobbit films, which will be shot back-to-back in his New Zealand backyard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks