What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (1 Viewer)

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Hi John, nice to see a fellow inmate here...(Harmonia at AA)

Agree with you 100% about PJ - I was a Jackson fan long before LOTR, and a LOTR fan long before that.

How did PJ tap into my imagination? It was thrilling to see ME come to life. The FOTR is one of the most stunning (and stunningly faithful) screen adaptions in movie history.

Not to take anything away from Tolkien himself, after all it's Tolkien's genius the film celebrates, but think of the damage that might have been wreaked upon ME had some one like James Cameron directed (or Michael Bay).

Richard Taylor is saying PJ's not doing The Hobbitt, and whither goes PJ, there follows WETA. I cannot imagine a version of The Hobbitt without the involvement of WETA and PJ. Don't want to either.

Kami

Screenwriter
I cannot imagine a version of The Hobbitt without the involvement of WETA and PJ. Don't want to either.
*nods* I'm already so attached to what they've given us. The painstaking detail, a frigging 7-8 year project with nothing compromised by the folks at WETA. It would be a shame to throw ALL of it away for a future Tolkien film.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
But there are other directors who could produce equally satisfying versions of Middle Earth.
I suppose "other directors" could have produced equally satisfying films on the military career of T.E. Lawrence or the boxing career of Jake LaMotta, but it seems damn unlikely to me. Sure, perhaps Terry Gilliam could hypothetically have made a good version of LOTR, although you can bet your bottom dollar that he'd have altered the story a lot more than PJ.

Not to mention the fact that Hollywood would never trust Gilliam with a project on this scale, given his reputation. So the point is moot.

I'll say it again. PJ = Right artist, right place, right time, right resources. Take away any of those factors, and I find it highly unlikely that LOTR would have been filmed at all for at least another decade or two, and then probably in a significantly compromised form - think one two-hour film (as Miramax/Di$ney wanted to do before PJ told them no way) with Tom Cruise as Aragorn and Nathan Lane as the voice of Gollum.

Or, more likely, a 90-minute Disney animated version with Julia Roberts as the voice of Galadriel and Sandra Bullock as the voice of Eowyn.

Now let us give thanks.

--Jefferson Morris

George See

Second Unit
I'd have to agree that with the amount of money LOTR has made so far A hobbit movie is a sure bet. I agree it'd be very hard to replace the actors, but I have a feeling that New Line would throw so much money at the actors that they couldn't turn it down. In the mean time I guess we are stuck with the Animated version folk tunes And all.

"The greatest adventure is what lies ahead"

Eric Bass

Second Unit
He was merely faithful to the source material in its interpretation.
The words "faithful to the source material" and "merely" don't really belong together when referring to Hollywood in my opionion.

Back to the Hobbit however. I think, if it's going to be made, and the popular opinion seems to be that it's only a matter of time, then for consistency sake it's essential to have the same director and as much as possible, the same actors. I wouldn't presume to state that no one else could play Gandalf, however given that Ian's perfomance was, to me at least, virtually flawless, I would love to see him keep the role in the Hobbit. Sure it's all rather unrealistic to hope for, but given what's already been accomplished, it seems like going that last mile to wrap everything up shouldn't be ruled out.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I LOVED Ian McKellan's portrayal of Gandalf the Grey. I'm pretty sure I'll love his Gandalf the White too, but he will no doubt be playing him a bit different in the next two films. Since with the LOTR we are getting one film with McKellan's Gandalf the Grey and two films with his Gandalf the White, it would be nice to have another film with his Gandalf the Grey. Just to balance it out. :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Oh my god, that would be so terrible. Gollum would be reduced to a lovable creature that's just misunderstood and flies in a basket on Bilbo's bicycle. And all the swords would be changed to flashlights to avoid controversy.
You know, I am getting so tired of the Spielberg bashing. Why do people think this man has no balls when it comes to filmmaking. This is the man that made Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Minority Report, and Jaws. This is also the same man that had a man's heart ripped out in Temple of Doom and a man ripped in two by two T-Rex's in The Lost World. The guy made a change to E.T. Big Deal. He still makes wonderful films that are not for kids.

Peter Jackson is a fantastic Director and Fellowship of the Ring is one of my favorite films, but don't tell me that Peter Jackson can make The Hobbit "better" than Spielberg. I would love to see Spielberg take a shot at the hobbit. IMHO, no one is better at adventure films than Spielberg, and The Hobbit is an adventure, not an epic like LOTR. Plus, I would love to see what Spielberg would do with the whole Misty Mountain sequence.

-Dean-

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I hope so, because that one brief scene in FotR of Ian Holm as a younger Bilbo in Gollum's cave was great. It nailed the scene dead on and was the first indicator to me that Jackson had "hit the bullseye"..
That's exactly how I felt when I saw the film for the first time -- I had just re-read The Hobbit to stave off a minor case of Lord of the Rings Fever (I didn't want to re-read the trilogy and spoil the films for myself), and seeing that scene right at the opening of the film made me think "oh my God this film is going to be amazing".

I recently re-watched about two thirds of it (on DVD at a friend's new house, after setting up her system), but it was late and I fell asleep down in the Mines. I still got goosebumps.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I hope so, because that one brief scene in FotR of Ian Holm as a younger Bilbo in Gollum's cave was great. It nailed the scene dead on and was the first indicator to me that Jackson had "hit the bullseye"..
That's exactly how I felt when I saw the film for the first time -- I had just re-read The Hobbit to stave off a minor case of Lord of the Rings Fever (I didn't want to re-read the trilogy and spoil the films for myself), and seeing that scene right at the opening of the film made me think "oh my God this film is going to be amazing".

I recently re-watched about two thirds of it (on DVD at a friend's new house, after setting up her system), but it was late and I fell asleep down in the Mines. I still got goosebumps.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Oh my god, that would be so terrible. Gollum would be reduced to a lovable creature that's just misunderstood and flies in a basket on Bilbo's bicycle.
Why do we always get comments like this simply because a director made a classic film. So, because Spielberg made E.T., that means he's make Gollum into E.T. Ridiculous. Jackson is good, but Spielberg is a better director. So yes, Spielberg could most definitely do these films.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Well, getting in on the discussion, be it either early or late, there are very few things that we can change.

First, the setting. PJ and company found the perfect spot for ME. Any live action Hobbit must be filmed there.

Second, PJ and WETA would have to be involved. PJ could be used as a consultant/assistant director but WETA has all of the effects plus other equipment used in LOTR. They would be there for consistency.

Third, Ian McKellan is the perfect choice to play Gandalf as he nailed the role. Ian Holm nailed Bilbo as well. Those two may reprise their roles and John Davis-Rhymes and Hugo Weaving could too. However, for the most part the various parts can be played by different actors. The roles of Gandalf, Bilbo, and Gollum (Andy Serkis) should be set in stone.

The question then becomes what you do with the role of the Narrator, etc. How do you cut out the vast majority of the songs? Is it indeed possible the cartoon version of The Hobbit was the best way to portray it or should that one be used as the standard? Better still, should The Hobbit be entirely done in CGI with some live scenery, such as was done in the opening scene of Dinosaur?

The Hobbit does have an entirely different feel to it. The cartoon version got it right. If anything what should be done is a CGI version intermixed with live scenery and the story should be remain the same. It could be shown in theaters or go direct to DVD. In either case, it needs to be done right for Tolkien fans will not settle for anything less than just shy of perfection.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
If The Hobbit does get made it should include some of the things that the book hinted at but did not depict, or things described in the appendices of LOTR as happening concurrently with the events in The Hobbit. Things like Gandalf infiltrating the dungeons of The Necromancer, or The White Council attacking Dol Guldor (a good opportunity for cameos by Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee [God willing], and Hugo Weaving). Who wouldn't want to see Gandalf and Saruman when they were on the same side? I'm guessing that Beorn would join Tom Bombadil on the cutting room floor. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You couldn't use Holm at all as far as I'm concerned. I would think you would want to have someone younger. It's one thing to hide his age in one brief cave scene and quite another to do it for an entire film.
Seth nailed it about Ian Holm. Holm is now in his early 70s. The shot of him in FOTR was filmed about 3 years ago. Jackson has said that if he decides to make The Hobbit, it will not be for at least a couple years after the trilogy is complete -- which means the late part of this decade. He said he needs a break from such a big project, he has a couple of little true stories he wants to film in Australia, then after that he'll see if he feels like making The Hobbit. He hasn't decided yet, and will not decide until the trilogy is finished. But he DID say not too long ago that he is NOT going to make King Kong.
So Ian Holm would be in his mid-to-late seventies by the time The Hobbit was filmed -- a bit old to play the middle-aged Bilbo. (I actually thought he looked a too old for the part in FOTR.)
But with what they can do with makeup these days, who knows? But Ian McKellen has said he doubts he'd be interested in doing The Hobbit. We're just going to have to wait till the trilogy is complete -- only a little more than a year! -- before we know anything.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I read an interview with PJ not long ago(cant remember where yet) and they asked what would be your plans for the future and any chance of doing the hobbit? He said he wanted a fair break and to do something on low budget and on weekends!...he said that after it is all finished he wouldnt mind having a look at doing The Hobbit, but he said that he would much rather sit down and watch someone else do it. He mentioned how because he is so close to LOTR he doesnt really get a chance to sit and enjoy it like we do.

Fair enough!

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I agree that the tone of The Hobbit is quite different than LOTR. Everyone knows that The Hobbit was intended as more or less a children's tale. And as such, I would like to see a kind of light-hearted film with maybe a PG or PG13 rating, and have the feel be akin to something like 'The Mummy' or 'Men in Black'.

As far as directors go, I think Rob Reiner or Robert Zemeckis would fit the bill nicely. Their styles aren't over the top, and it should please a wide audience.

I suppose there are purists out there who would scoff at one taking The Hobbit so lightly, but I've actually never been compelled to see it made into a film like I have LOTR.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
And as such, I would like to see a kind of light-hearted
I think there is more humor than in LOTR and I think the TONE with which some of it is told is more lighthearted. It is a simpler story the LOTR, but I think in some ways Bilbo's character arc is more specific than Frodo's. Frodo has at least had a desire to leave the Shire and had been exposed to the outside world to a small degree by Bilbo.

In The Hobbit, Bilbo was totally uninterested in anything but his own backyard, and gradually turned from a meek little fellow into a hobbit brave enough to make his way into Smaug's lair and rescue his friends from the elves of Mirkwood. Very much like LOTR, it's a story of someone finding his courage and having his eyes opened to both the darkness and the wonder of the rest of the world.

I'll never forget the end of The Hobbit, when Bilbo goes home. He's been gone so long, and everything is just... Bag End seems different because HE'S changed, and you as the reader can feel it. YOU look at the Shire differently, because you've taken the journey with him. I remember that so clearly, how strange and almost sad it was to be back at Bag End when we'd just been halfway around the world.

I don't know that I've read The Hobbit since I've been an adult, so I may view it differently now, but that's my recollection of it from in my teens.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If Peter Jackson would like to watch someone else do it, why not Alejandro Amenábar (Abre los Ojos, The Others)? Just a hunch :D
As for the cast:
Gandalf: Ian McKellen.
Bilbo: Ian Holm. I always pictured the younger Bilbo as being older than 50, so I'd be ok with his look.
Thranduil: Jude Law.
Thorin: Sean Connery.
Glóin: John Rhys Davies, playing his own daddy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks