What's new

The HitchHiker HBO -series coming to DVD!!! (2 Viewers)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
All I know is I hope it's the episode that I saw when I was around 12-13 yrs. old. The blonde hitchhiker chick was something else. Huge knockers, I mean huge. They were not afraid to show you her huge rack. And they looked great.

I hope the one on the DVD is the original uncut version.

any info. from you guys that actually have that dvd, please post on which version When MOrning Comes Please!!

Thanks!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This set is presented in a strange way.

The first two episodes show P.F. as the Hitchhiker.

But, the 3rd episode shows one of the very old episodes with N.C. as The Hitchhiker.

It was neat to view. The background mountains and opening are all different.

This show sure does have a lot of nudity during the first seasons, doesnt it? lol.

I do like the set so far a lot better than the US set though.

Quality is not perfect of course due to the source, but they are still very watchable. These arent bootleg quality.

The price was excellent for the Canada set as well.

Now, Tales from the Crypt needs to be released. It is a shock to me that HBO or someone else hasnt released the show already.

SettoKaiba

Grip
I've got some news for you all I emailed the peole at Koch Canada and they said that since the series is selling very well on DVD they will be releasing another box set later on this year possibly.
They stated that they dont own the rights to the USA Season 4 canada season 2 here are the episodes most likely not to be released by Koch...
4- 1 17 Feb 87 Perfect Order
4- 2 24 Feb 87 Minuteman
4- 3 3 Mar 87 Dead Heat
4- 4 10 Mar 87 Why Are You Here?
4- 5 17 Mar 87 Homebodies
4- 6 24 Mar 87 Doctor's Orders
4- 7 31 Mar 87 The Legendary Billy B.
4- 8 7 Apr 87 In the Name of Love
4- 9 14 Apr 87 Made For Each Other
4-10 21 Apr 87 Joker
4-11 28 Apr 87 Best Shot
4-12 5 May 87 Secret Ingredient
4-13 12 May 87 Cabin Fever
Its possible that HBO may release them I guess if theres strong demand so email HBO and put the pressure on.
Anyone know where Page Fletcher is now?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I've got some news for you all I emailed the peole at Koch Canada and they said that since the series is selling very well on DVD they will be releasing another box set later on this year possibly.
They stated that they dont own the rights to the USA Season 4 canada season 2 here are the episodes most likely not to be released by Koch...
If the series is selling well, wouldn't it be in their interest to pursue purchasing the rights to season 4? Did they state a reason as to why they didn't have the rights to season 4 (curiously, when the show is rerun in Canada, the TV stations always skip over season 4 shows, too)?

That really sucks, because if they don't release season 4, then the second box will only consist of the crappy USA Network episodes.

Can you post Koch's e-mail? I'm curious as to why they only used one Nicholas Campbell print from the first three shows (they used the syndicated 're-worked' Fletcher episodes for the other two in the original trilogy. Looks like they'd have done 'all or nothing') and as to why they can't simply purchase the rights to release season 4.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
It's possible those episodes weren't owned by Alliance Atlantis, the company that Koch has licensed the show from.

Gord

SettoKaiba

Grip
Ok guys here are the emails I got from Kim Antonio at Koch canada...

To: "Setto Kaiba"
Subject: RE: The Hitchhiker DVD
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:24:49 -0400

Kim Antonio wrote:
Hi Setto,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the box set!

Yes we will be releasing season three as a box set later in the year. Unfortunately we do not have rights to season 2 and don't know who does.

Sales on Hitchhiker are doing well as entire seasons have not been available on DVD or VHS. Everything released in the past have been select episodes only.

Hope this helps and look out for season three!!

Kim
--------------------------------------------------------
Kim Antonio wrote:
Hi Setto,

Not sure if season 2 will be released by anyone. As far as I know season 2 of The Hitchhiker is the only season we do not have rights to. But we are working on season 3 as we speak.

Cheers,

Kim
--------------------------------------------------------

To: "Setto Kaiba"
Subject: RE: The Hitchhiker DVD
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:24:49 -0400

Hi Setto,

All I know is that HBO in the US has the rights to Hitchhiker there. That's all I know at this point.

Kim
-----------------------------------------------------
Its likely that HBO owns the rights to that season and may be asking too much for koch to buy it. Ill email her and ask her about the Nicholas Campbell episodes.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well,

I really dont have an interest in purchasing the USA episodes.

In a way, I almost want to to support the company who released these (maybe if sales are good it will lead to other rare shows down the road).

I dont know. I just really didnt care much for the USA episodes or owning them.

Chances are the USA episodes will not sell as well. But, it's nice to hear the first set sold well. The price point for what is given was great as well.

SettoKaiba

Grip
See the thing is that that season that Koch doesn't own was really star-studed with episodes that featured
Willem Dafoe, Garey Busey ,kirstie Alley, Helen Hunt, Margot kidder,James remar, Michael Madsen, So who ever owns the rights will be asking a killing for it wouldnt you?
Hopefully HBO will release them. Or if you press Koch Canada they might make a pitch at it.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, HBO released some of them on their "best of" boxset. Though I'd really like to believe HBO would release a (US) Season 4 (Can. Season 2) set, I highly doubt it, which means if we want them all, we'll have to buy several episodes "twice" if we bought the Canadian set.

I wasn't aware of any co-production company changes between seasons 3 and 4. From what I remember, Atlantis never entered the picture until the USA episodes, meaning all four HBO seasons were a co-prodution of Mark/Chesler and HBO itself.

SettoKaiba

Grip
Koch Canada will release the third Canadian season on October 12. You can expect this to carry a suggested retail price of $39.99 CAN. Unfortunately Koch wasn't able to secure the rights to the second season; another company has it, although no one know which company that is.

Setto Kaiba
also
TvShowsonDVD.com

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I have the Canadian set coming in soon from Ebay. Glad to hear of another set being released in Oct. Just curious, what is $39.99 Canadian translated to US dollars?

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Got my Canadian Hitchhiker set in and I absolutely love it!

Can't wait for Season 3.

By the way...much like the Canadian season 1, is the Canadian season 3 comprised of 3 US seasons?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I bought the Koch (Canadian version) of this series thinking it was the bargain of the century. I have to say while the episodes are interesting, the video quality is the worst that I have ever experienced in a DVD. It is like watching an old recorded VHS tape in the LP mode. Obviously the company was cognizant of this issue since it even indicates in the intro that video quality may not be up to expectant standards due to the delicate nature of the source materials used.

What I would like to know is the quality of the HBO release any better?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
What I would like to know is the quality of the HBO release any better?
I don't have either release, but I do have some of the old Karl-Lorimar VHS releases and they, too, are a bit "soft" and not all that great.

I think the problem is that The Hitchhiker was one of the earliest shows to be edited on videotape and, like the early seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation, this fact took a hit on the picture quality.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Ordered the set from DVD Soon. I have a feeling i'll be waiting for a long time, until it ships, if what I hear of them is any indication. :/

Esten

Supporting Actor
Got the set, finally. DVD Soon has to be the most ironic name for a company, ever. Well packed, though.

Is it just me, or does episode 3 seem like a network tv edit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks