What's new

The History of my SVS PB2-ISD (1 Viewer)

cidar

Auditioning
my name is cidar ramirez, I am working as a telecom consultant in a cellular telephony company in La Paz - Bolivia, I began to interest in home theaters a couple of years ago, then next to my brothers we decided to arm one on our house.

In the beginning we want to buy a complete system of Bose (lifestyle 35 or 50), but after reading a little reviews, and the hard attack from everybody to bose, we decided by JBL and we bought 5 loudspeakers of the Studio series (1 S-Center and 4 S26II), the receiver and dvd player we buy from pioneer elite 1 year ago. (Taking advantage of a business trip to the United States)

Lamentably we can’t buy the subwoofer, I cannot buy it due to the amount of luggage for my return trip to Bolivia, and on the other hand we don’t view the reviews for the best subwoofer.

After reading reviews we make our decision for SVS (I become a member on this forum on January 2003, and its interesting how a lot of members love SVS) particularly we choose the 16-46Pci. So we wait for my next business trip for almost one year!!!

We can’t wait more (our front JBL S26II was configure as “large” on our receiver to handle the bass sounds), so I take one week vacations to travel to Miami, and return with the sub. On time to send the order to SVS we saw that SVS has a new line of box subs that’s looks and feels pretty cool, so we change the order to the PB2-ISD, because beside the 2 ISD drivers, the greater power, it have a 50$ flat rate of shipping on USA, we send the order to SVS 2 weeks before my trip, the sub come a little more of the 2 seeks but on time to my Miami address. The first thing I am impressed when arriving was the size of the box (the person of BAX Global can’t move it into the house alone!) and I was wondering how I will transport this giant box to La Paz city.

The day of my return trip I take a van like taxi to take the big box to the airport, the air line refused to be sent my box to Bolivia because according to them the box was overweight (that’s was not true: I have the right take up to 80 kilograms = 176,2 pounds and I don’t have more luggage) in fact when I purchase my travel ticket I warning to the air line that I will return with a box of 155 pounds of weight, and they said: “not a problem !!!!!”

Aside other restriction, another pretext: the box in cube dimensions pass the limits regulated (they sum the measure of width, length and deep the box, this value cannot be grater than a limit measured in centimeters). So after a big discussion whit the manager or the air line they determined that I had to pay a penalty of 180 $ to put the box on the same plane!

When entering to Bolivia any person must fill a customs declaration based on the value articles that are entering the country, the Bolivian residents we have a duty free tax exemption up to 1000 $US on personal effects, thinking on this tax exemption I fills my declaration of customs, nevertheless when I arrived at La Paz the customs inspectors confiscated my sub :-( , indicating to me that this equipment could not inside be considered the tax exemption because was very big box, that was absurd!!!

They requested the invoice of my sub, and as I arrive at Bolivia on Saturday I could not initiate carry out of my equipment until the following Monday and it could not either initiate by me, because the equipment weighs more than 30 kilos = 66 pounds, I have to contract an dispatcher agency.

The following Monday I take the services of the dispatcher agency, they after a day of work said to me that the customs agents lost the invoice of my sub and I must give to them another one and it had to be original!!!, can you believe that !!! I was beginning to think that I have some curse and I could not have my sub in long time :frowning: (In addition government charges per day of storage).

I wrote to SVS requesting a copy of my invoice, thanks to Eric, he sent the copy immediately to me and I use it like an original, with this invoice continuous the carry out of my sub. After one day and 300 $ of taxes I could at least take my sub from government custom office (I think how easy is for you guys: you just order it whit your credit card and after 2 weeks you receive your sub on the door of your house !!).

On Wednesday I take my SVS to my house, I take it to the second floor (where this my home theater room) I put it on the best corner, and together my radio shack’s SPL meter we make the fine tuning of the system.

For examples I put the helicopter scene of Matrix I, the race of episode I, some races of two fast & two furious.

It was amazing! The sub causes that all the room shakes!! I really like it :)

I realized it was worth enough everything what I had to live to obtain that this sub arrives to my house.

Thanks guys form SVS to make this amazing subwoofers !

Did you know guys that my city: La Paz is at 3632 meters over the level of the sea (almost 11916 foots) ? so we can say that we have de highest SVS on the world !!

cidar ramirez

our system:

screen: Toshiba TP61H95 61” projection TV

receiver: Pioneer Elite Vsx-45tx (7.1)
dvd-player 1: Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
dvd-player 2: Pioneer DV-344

speakers:
center: JBL S-Center
fronts: JBL S26 II * 2
surrounds: JBL S26 II * 2
back speakers: AIWA (no model, part of my old system)
subwoofer: SVS PB2-ISD !

:b :b

WayneO

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup:

Glad it all worked out for you in the end, just imagine if you get the itch to upgrade!

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
That's an amazing story!!! I am glad to see you finally got to enjoy your SVS. I am hoping to buy one in the summer. I live in Canada thankfully, so I don't think I'll have to deal with what you went through **knocks on wood** :).

CONGRATS!!!!!! :D :D

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Wow, you are really up there! That's like twice the elevation of Denver isn't it? If you had a football team they would play at "2 miles high stadium"!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Whew! What a story. Did you say the PB4+ is next?

Quit a testimony you have there in acquiring a SVS. Best I have heard anyway.:emoji_thumbsup:

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
What a great story Cidar. Thank stinks that there is such a hassle with customs and all. They basically do whatever they want it sometimes seems. SVS sure does make some great products and I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of your new toy.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Sounds like Project Elephant Drop.. For that kind of trouble - you should've done the PB4+! Claim it as a end table on your custom's ticket.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Where else in the world can you get off a plane and have Coca tea served to you. Being that high up makes me nauseous... Funny to see a stocky Bolivian smoking a cigarette and riding his bike up a hill effortlessly, while the Americans have a hard time breathing...

Great Story!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
My godness, that is quite a story. Just like something out of a movie. I'm happy you got your sub ok :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks