What's new

The Hindenburg (1975) (Blu-ray) Now Available To Preorder Amazon (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
771c1956-5203-4167-8b7f-038e3bbd4776_1.2959d3aa7752b1501e4471996186074a.jpeg

Last edited:

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Pre-ordered this weeks ago to replace the low-bit but anamorphic version on the 2-disc Ultimate Disaster Pack: Earthquake/Airport/The Hindenburg/Rollercoaster from Universal. The Hindenburg received a Special Achievement Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, shared by Albert Whitlock and Glen Robinson. Many years ago I attended a special presentation by Albert Whitlock at New York's Museum of Modern Art on matte painting. It was, as they say, an eye-opening experience.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Is there a movie that dramatizes what happened to Britain's R101 in 1930? More people died in that disaster than the Hindenburg, and it ended their entire dirigible program.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've never seen this but I've greatly enjoyed disaster movies like Airport, Towering Inferno and Poseiden Adventure...worth a blind buy?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Priced cheap by Walmart...fully belongs in any collection of Robert Wise devotees...remarkable ensemble cast of great screen veterans...good music by David Shire...effective special effects integrated with the famous newsreel film of the day...as Andrew M. posted above, another appreciation for the expansive and spectacular dimension brought to film by Albert Whitlock's beautiful matte paintings...

I personally found it quite exciting, first run on the big screen in early '76...it's at least better than a whole lot of other disaster film contemporaries too...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Memories1978_Patti-Penny_Sisters1.jpg
Priced cheap by Walmart...fully belongs in any collection of Robert Wise devotees...remarkable ensemble cast of great screen veterans...good music by David Shire...effective special effects integrated with the famous newsreel film of the day...as Andrew M. posted above, another appreciation for the expansive and spectacular dimension brought to film by Albert Whitlock's beautiful matte paintings...

I personally found it quite exciting, first run on the big screen in early '76...it's at least better than a whole lot of other disaster film contemporaries too...

Like for example, The Towering Inferno (1976).

I last saw this film (The Hindenburg (1975)) back in 1978 while trying to make up with my then ex-girlfriend Patti (succeeded). We ended up watching this together (with me on my knee begging for forgiveness for chasing after Patti's knockout younger sister Penny) and I was quite impressed. Thankfully she was too.

In the above picture, Patti is on the left. Penny is on the right.

Didn't catch the entire film just the second half.

So PreOrdered.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Catching the girl takes precedence over catching the first half of the movie...or the second half for that matter...or any movie...sounds like a "Dudeism" ha, ha...thank goodness for TV airings and home video, so I can finally see some of the best "date" movies of my life...years later, ha, ha...

Good for you Brad!

Josh, I think you will enjoy The Hindenburg on blu-ray...I'm going into my seat cushions right now for small change and buy a copy myself...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what? I was actually going to order this online from Walmart as I would never walk in their store....

But last time I ordered from them my Visa card information was stolen.

I don't think I want to order from them anymore. I may wait for the title to go wide on Amazon.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Awesome vintage picture Brad. Love it. The story is good too. I was in the same boat 20 years later... Dating older sister, but younger sister was really good looking!

Reactions: PMF

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Received my copy today. Did a quick viewing on my LG 60" plasma. Looked pretty darn good. Much better than the DVD releases. Will try to watch it on the 110" screen in the home theater later this week.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"The Hindenburg"; albeit nominated for Best Sound; was given a Special Oscar for its Sound Effects.
I wonder how that works? How does the Academy distinguish one from the other? Separately known departments, I guess; but it seems a shame. I thought sound was a collaborative effort. Nonetheless, one guy wins; while the rest remained behind.

Anyway, having never seen "The Hindenburg", my sole reason for purchase is that this is one of the 16 Robert Surtees films nominated for Best Cinematography; the rest of the credits become the gravy.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this but I've greatly enjoyed disaster movies like Airport, Towering Inferno and Poseiden Adventure...worth a blind buy?

Sure! "Hindenburg" is a surprisingly good movie. IMO, it's better than "Airport" or "Poseidon".

Harder to compare to "Inferno" - I have a strong sentimental attachment to that one!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I watched it last night. It was a decent presentation. In fact I thought it looked quite good.

It is the first time I have watched it in probably 25 years when I owned the laserdisc. Many critics thought it dragged, but I felt there was good structure in the story and the wonderful ensemble of actors elevated the characters. For $7.50 I think it is a great bargain and worth owning.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Still one of my favorite opening credits ever. David Shire's score is beautiful to the ears as the zeppelin moves gracefully through the clouds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks