What's new

The Highest-Grossing Films In History .... How Many Have You Taken Home? (1 Viewer)

rhett

Supporting Actor
I only have 5, and I have close to 300 films in my collection. I have much more films on the adjusted list though (mainly because I prefer 60's and 70's films)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One interesting thing is that Fantasia and Pinnochio didn't do very well upon their first releases. It was when they were re-released over the years when non-stop ticket sales were happening.
That point demonstrates another problem when it comes to lists of top-grossing films. A number of these flicks made lots of additional money during re-releases - clearly movies like Gone With the Wind and the Disney titles wouldn't have earned so many bucks without those re-screenings. Even Star Wars got an enormous boost from its 1997 re-issue. Titanic and other modern films didn't - and won't likely - benefit from such treatment. It'd be very interesting to compare ORIGINAL grosses of movies without added re-releases and see what ends up where...

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I've only got 13, and 4 of those are on VHS. 10 of them I used to have on DVD, but I sold them.

I haven't even seen 30 of these movies!

(On the inflation-adjusted list, I have 11, including the same 4 on VHS. 8 of them I used to own, but sold)

Cary T

Screenwriter
I own 3 from the list out of my 170 something DVD collection. There are a few I'd like to buy from the list, but waiting hopefully for a better edition. And the Star Wars and Indies I'd buy immediately if it ever releases on DVD.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The adjusted list is more realistic.
Why? Much fewer people go to the cinema now than 40-50 years ago, so when a film grosses a billion dollars now, it's still comparable to golden age blockbusters, never mind the higher ticket price. Why go cinema when you can wait a bit and see the film in the comfort of your home with superior sound quality. 50 years ago everyone and their sister went to the pictures, even routine westerns and comedies made a ton of money easily. Now cinema has competition from home cinema, television and video games, and sheer laziness [blushes].

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I wasn't taking anything away from Titanic. The point is that it's still impressive that GWTW made that much.

If you don't find it impressive, that's fine. I was just pointing it out.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have 25 of them on DVD.
The most surprising movie to make the "adjusted" list is Dr. Zhivago at number 8!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
58 on DVD.
Another 4 on LD.
5 others on VHS.

Adjusted list:

37 DVDs, 3 LDs, 5 VHS tapes.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Of the adjusted Top 50, I have 10; 2 on VHS, 5 on LD, 3 on DVD. Seen 26 of them.
Of the unadjusted(and inaccurate:D) Top 50, I have 16; 5 on VHS, 5 on LD, 6 on DVD. Seen 32 of them.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
50 from the first list, including VHS and LD (couldn't be bothered counting separately)

37 from the second, adjusted list. Still including VHS and LD

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On the adjusted list, I have

1-50: 17

51-100: 10

Including LDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks