1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Heroes of Telemark (1965)- coming to Blu-Ray from Sony 1/8/19

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by atfree, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. atfree

atfree Producer
    Supporter

Alex
    PatrickDA, DP 70, Reggie W and 10 others like this.
  2. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Stunt Coordinator

Bernard McNair
    Great start to January with this and the announced WB’s Blu’s. Heroes has always been a favourite of mine in the WW2 genre.

3. Message #3 of 23 Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Nice surprise Sony doesn't do many like these anymore. They usually farm them out.

4. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Not a special favorite of mine, but I'm buying because I'm sure it will look spectacular on Blu-ray disc after the Sony magicians have done their work..

5. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor
    Supporter

mark gross
    I love this film. Perhaps this is considered minor Anthony Mann, but it works beautifully for me. The compositions in the battle scenes use depth of field and shot duration to remarkable effect, in a way that reminds me of Nicholas Ray. The color was especially vivid when this was in theaters, so I'm hoping the Blu-Ray matches that. Seeing this is from Sony, that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and this was a film in which I found Richard Harris likable, which doesn't happen that often for me.

Richard V likes this.
  6. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Does anybody know what the last pre 70s title was that Sony released themselves on Blu-ray in the US?
    I think it has been some time so I definitely did not see this one coming!

So even as a big Tony Mann fan I never actually got around to watching this one as I stopped watching the DVD when I noticed that Telemark is a really good looking production and I wanted my first viewing to be better than that, and I decided to wait and watch it at least in HD.

So now it gets even better and my first viewing will be on a nicely sized screen with a really good looking Blu-ray - thank you Sony!

SAhmed likes this.
  7. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    I have seen a Original 35mm Tech IB reel of this and it looked fab.

OliverK likes this.
  8. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I had always hoped to maybe catch a 70mm BlowUp at a festival but it looks like there are relatively few 70mm prints available from movies produced by Columbia back in the days.

9. Mike2001

Mike2001 Second Unit

Mike
    Joachim Ronneberg, the leader of the sabotage mission, died last month at 99. He wasn’t impressed by this movie as he thought it took too many liberties with the facts. He preferred the more recent Netflix series, although was still upset that they changed the names of the Norwegian collaborators. Very interesting obituary in the New York Times.

Flashgear and Robert Crawford like this.
  10. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The real hero outlived by Kirk Douglas. The obit in the NYT was amazing. What a story!

Mike2001 likes this.
  11. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I didn't realise there were 70mm prints. I'm sure it wasn't 70mm when I saw it in 1965 (big Christmas attraction) at the Odeon, Leicester Square.

I remember going to see it with high anticipation but although it had good moments, overall it was disappointing. I'll get the BD though because the film has never looked good on home video.

Nick Eden, Robin9 and DP 70 like this.
  12. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I stumbled on this movie as I passed by the "this" channel one evening. It was getting very near the end, but it sucked me right in. I just had to see the full thing, so I looked it up and found a fairly expensive, out-of-print DVD. Wanting to see it in full widescreen, I bit the bullet and bought that DVD. Now here it is on Blu.

I'm not sure I love it enough to double-dip, but it'll be under consideration.

13. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Michael Coate co-authored this one so we can be pretty certain that there were 70mm prints:
    https://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1966/index.htm

I read that Telemark wasn't that good compared to other Mann movies but I still think that I will enjoy it on a really good Blu-ray.

14. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Second Unit

More Anthony Mann on blu-ray!!! I hope it looks good. "Thunder Bay" and "Bend of the River" coming out in February.

SAhmed likes this.
  15. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    I've just read Joachim Ronneberg's NYT obituary, as well as a couple of other articles it links to, and it really is an incredible story! What an incredible bunch of brave young men. It's a great shame the real-life mission was Hollywoodised so much; it would have been much better had they stuck to the facts. None of the mission members liked the film at all. It's literally put me off buying the BD. :(

Conversely, as the obituary points out, in 2015-2016, a big-budget miniseries was produced – The Saboteurs aka The Heavy Water War – telling a much more complete and accurate story. Aside from some complaints about name changes, it met with glowing approval from all the survivors. It was an international co-production (Norway, England, Germany, Denmark) and currently has an 8.0 IMDb rating, as opposed to The Heroes of Telemark's 6.5.

Arrow's UK BD is the best English-friendly release, but it's also available in HD via most digital outlets.

Robert Crawford and Mike2001 like this.
  16. Mike2001

Mike2001 Second Unit

Mike
    Brent, Thanks for including the link to the obituary. I couldn’t figure out how to do that in my post from my mobile device.

Brent Reid likes this.
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I watched the bare bones Blu-ray this morning and it looks very good. Again, it's bare bones without any bonus material including trailer.

Randy Korstick and Robin9 like this.
  18. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I also saw it at the Odeon, Leicester Square and my recollection was that it was 35mm.

Douglas R likes this.
  19. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Second Unit

As I stated in another forum, it looks just fine. Some earlier remarks had me quite worried about what I'd encounter, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's probably from the DVD master from ten years ago, but it looks perfectly acceptable to me. I think it's in the same ball park as the "Man from Laramie" TT blu-ray. Maybe a few more white specs here and there. I must pick up for Anthony Mann and World War II yarn fans.

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    According to the records at in70mm.com, it played in 70mm in the US in 1966. No information about what kind of mix it was, the DVD is mono.