What's new

The "Help Mike Get His A/V Act Together" Thread!! (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
well, since i can't find a CD/DVD Changer that doesn't take 5 years to load and play discs, i think i might just go with a single-disc DVD player and a 5-disc CD changer. i'd like to be able to get both for around $300. any recommendations?

as far as the DVD player goes, i want to make sure it can play all the major formats: DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, Video CD, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, MP3 and WMA CD-R & CD-RW, and JPEGs. i was thinking about checking out the Panasonic DVD-S55S. what are some other fairly inexpensive DVD players to look into? what are some key features to look into when buying one of these? what features do i want to make sure i get with this purchase?

and as far as the CD changer goes, I want to make sure it has no problems playing CR-R and CD-RW discs. i love my music, so i need it to sound good. i want a fast load/skip disc time and i need it to be able to shuffle and play random tracks from all the discs that are loaded in it. i was looking at the Sony CDP-CE275. anyone had any experience with this? what are some other key features to look for when buying one of these?

also - my receiver is a Denon AVR-2802. should i be buying Denon DVD and CD players in order to keep everything in the same family, or does that not matter at all?

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
come on, guys - i'm really looking for some help here, and i value your opinions

on paper, that Panasonic S55S looks perfect, and there are several brand new models on ebay for about $100. i'm thinking about placing a bid unless someone advises otherwise

and as far as CD Changers, i don't think the Sony's for me afterall. now i'm looking into the Kenwood CD-406. my roommate had one a couple years ago and it worked great, except that it didn't play a certain cd...

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my Pioneer DV-563a and it plays all of thoose mentioned formats, but I am not sure about the JPEG's. It is a good quality player and I believe that someone posted that it does not have the chroma bug.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
This is what I usually do, I visit stores like Best Buy or CC etc., and see what brands are out there. Then visit each brands website to see what their players offer. After that comparison, you should be able to make a sound decision. The price you are asking for is ok, and you'll be able to get both. Please note, the more you dedicate to the DVD player, the closer you get to meeting both goals.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
If you want dvd-ram, you will probably have to stick with a Panasonic. Don't know if any other brands will handle it.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
what's the chroma bug?

anyone have anything more to say about the Panasonic S55S?

how about that Kenwood CD changer?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, slow down a bit. When you posted at 2 in the afternoon yesterday (a Sunday) it was only natural it would take some time for responses to roll in.

As for the so-called chroma bug, running a simple search in this section of this much-discussed topic will yield plenty of results.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
sorry sorry sorry -

i'm just used to other message boards where replies start filtering in moments after making a post. i'm also not used to having a search option

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have no opinion on a unit that meets your requirements. But there is no reason to stay in the Denon family. Get the brand and model that best meet your requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks