What's new

'THE HEAVENLY KID'(1985)-Who owns the rights? (1 Viewer)

Esten

Supporting Actor
Well, looks like this old thread of mine helped. It's coming on 11/15! :D
746341h.jpg

__________________________________________________ _______
"For Bobby to go uptown, he must look into his heart"
"A tale of divine intervention, HEAVENLY KID is the story of a teenage hero who dies in a car crash and returns 20 years later as a guardian angel"

This movie was released on tape by Thorn Emi/HBO, but Orion produced it. So i guess that means it's owned by ....MGM?
The video tape has been Out of Print for years and goes for $15+ on EBAY.
Who else would like to see this get a DVD relaese?

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Great little flick to watch on one of those cold winter weekends.

Isn't the girlfriend now the mom on Malcom?

~Kurt

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Watched this again today on Comedy Central and enjoyed it again. Good cast - Jane Kaczmarek is now on Malcolm, Jason Gedrick is on Boomtown, and Richard Mulligan passed away years ago. Don't know whatever happened to Lewis Smith's career, though. Better than the teen junk they make nowadays. I'd buy it.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Starz! just showed what LOOKED like a new, or at least different print than what is usually broadcast. The colors were much better than any version i've seen.

Here's hoping MGM gets to it this year. This year the film turns 20.

Jo_C

Second Unit
It was originally an Orion release (Thorn/EMI/HBO had initial video rights at the time before Orion established its own home video division), but yes, MGM does indeed hold current rights since they acquired Orion some years back.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I remember when this ran on showtime about 5 years ago, it had like 5 minutes of new scenes that was not in the video nor any previous cable airing, i am wondering if mGM went back to the original camera negatives and accidently remastered a different cut??

Esten

Supporting Actor
I remember when this ran on showtime about 5 years ago, it had like 5 minutes of new scenes that was not in the video nor any previous cable airing, i am wondering if mGM went back to the original camera negatives and accidently remastered a different cut??
There is a version that has scenes involving Bobby's class ring. Like him finding it in the car wreckage, giving it to Lenny at the end etc. I'm guessing the cut you saw is how it originally was when shown theatrically, or taken from a pre-release print.

I've never seen the extended version, only the same version that was released on video/airs on most channels.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Any infomation yet?

I couldnt wait, I bought a VHS copy for 2 pounds the other day. Would still love to own it on DVD though.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I caught the WAM! airing a month or so ago, and recorded it directly to a DVD-R. Not the same as an official release, but it'll hold me over for the time being.
Still looking for a copy of the Class Ring version, to no avail. :frowning:

Kate*H

Agent
what is the class ring version?

I love this movie, but the one thing that drove me crazy about it was that it was based in 1985/1984, and the kid was supposed to be about 16/17, so that would have meant that Bobby would have died in 1967 at the earliest...which seems a little late for the "greaser" era. I thought that was full bloom into the Vietnam/hippy era.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
That doesn't bother me too much, the movie is still fun. I read an explanation abit ago about how that makes sense, I will try and find it.

The class ring version is about a ring that was given to him by his girlfriend and at the end when he goes bk to his old car where it is all burnt out, he finds it and gives it to lenny I believe.

Come on MGM, lets get it done.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Speaking of THK, Encore WAM! is showing the film 3 times in the next couple weeks:

Fri Jul 15 09:35P on WAM!

Thu Jul 21 09:40P on WAM!

Fri Jul 22 12:20P on WAM!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks