The Haunting was out early

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Justin_S, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I went to a store yesterday to trade in a defective DVD, and they had the original THE HAUNTING out early. Naturally, I snatched that sucker up, came home, cancelled my preorder, and I plan on watching it later tonight. This is one of my favorite films, and I can't wait to see it in widescreen! Very happy that I found it early!

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Nope, I hardly ever buy DVDs at Wal-Mart.

4. MarkHastings

Ah, because Wal-Mart has been known to put out DVD's before official release dates.

So which store????

5. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

7. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Im anxiously waiting for its release next week,and yes i will watch it late at night too ! Itll be my first time ev er watching this ![​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember now those rules here that everybody finds so haunting: no mentioning of stores that break street date. Thanks!

9. MarkHastings

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I got mine today. If I get home before 2am, I'll watch it. For sure, it's one of the film's that can only be watched in the dead of night - like most great horror films, but The Haunting is an extra-special piece of spooky Cinema! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20th Century Fox: The Innocents - NOW! [​IMG]

Gordy

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Any HTFers secure your sought-after copies of THE HAUNTING ('63) today?

Got my lovely copy today (08/05). Funny thing, though, as I was driving home with the DVD beside me, I had an irresistible desire to drive the car straight into the nearest tree!

[​IMG]

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

For the anal-minded, I re-submitted the correct AR (2.35:1 Anamorphic) for "The Haunting 1963" to DVD Profiler for update. They had it as FF 1.33. Horrors among horrors!! A hideous oversight.

13. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    I had Halloween in August at my house last night - I watched THE HAUNTING and WAIT UNTIL DARK. Both from those long-ago days when a horror film asked its audience to use their imaginations (THE HAUNTING literally requires you to use it). CGI seems to have replaced all that now, but imagination was a lot more fun.

--Bill

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I couldn't agree with you more, Bill; I love horror/sci-fi/fantasy films, and I get no love in return for those genres these days. For me, The Haunting is an essential horror/supernatural film. It's most certainly the best black and white scope horror film ever made - brilliant cinematography and composition. This movie is a mess in pan and scan, it's one of the best examples of why letterboxing is essential for home video.

The transfer is very good. Sure, it could have been better, but on the whole, I am delighted with it.

These Warner horror/sci-fi release are just superb! I'm really enjoying revisiting these films - all of which I love, but have put off watcing until the DVD editions came out - the time is now, and I love it!

Now... bring on those MGM Midnite Movies! So much Corman-Poe films! [​IMG]

Plus a SE of The Howling and Burnt Offerings! [​IMG]

Oh, and that week also heralds a boxed set of Roman Polanski films from Anchor Bay UK - region 2: Knife In The Water; Repulsion; Cul-De-Sac and many of Polanski's short films, plus retrospective featurettes and the Criterion Laser commentary on Repulsion!

Too... much... great... DVDs... to buy! [​IMG]

Gordy

15. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

I watched my copy late last night, in the dark, alone. In the dark.
    THE HAUNTING, for some mysterious reason, has always been in my top ten favorite American films, and with THE DAY OF THE LOCUST (C'mon Paramount!) my favorite book to film adaptation.
    I've gotta say that watching the dvd late last night, in the dark, was a gripping, thrilling experience. My feelings for the film, its direction, art direction, acting and all-around sheer brilliance has not faded one iota.
    Little things in the corners of the widescreen seemed to pop out for the first time. . .and has anyone else noticed the face in the spokes of the frist Mrs. Crain's carriage wheels ? It looks a bit like the Mona Lisa. . .or, was it just my imagination running away with me?
    Julie Harris' comments on the commentary track are just what every actor needs to hear; Wise, as always, contributes brilliantly to his portion of the commentary track.

16. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Gordon said:

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

18. MikeRR

MikeRR Agent

Where did you all get your copies from? I checked a bunch of stores today (Best Buy, Circuit Cit, Suncoast, Borders) and none of them had it. Where can I find it at?

19. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well, watched it last nite. Pic. looked great. Well above average. Just a few instances of shots with a little EE, but very good. But the sound... I think my old MGM VHS had better dynamic range. Like the infamous pounding on the door scene. Just needed to be a tad louder IMHO. The levels between the dialogue and what should have been TREMENDOUS noise from the door just were to close. Other than that, I'm happy.

20. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Claire Bloom - oh! She is so damn sexy in this film! :b But she's a bit touchy of men touching her. Love that leopard-skin jacket! [​IMG]

Grrr! [​IMG]

Gordy