"The Haunting" Menu

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Sep 15, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Hearing all the stuff about the DTS track on this movie, I bought it this weekend. Heres my situation: when I insert the disc, the "Audio Select" menu pops up first. You know, Select One- DTS/DD. Well, naturally I select DTS then the movie begins. It's not until the DreamWorks screen plays that I realize that the Main Menu did not display! So I select Menu on my remote and *then* it comes up. Does anyone else's disc do this? I just find it a bit disconcerting that the Audio menu is FORCED ... and THEN the show starts! Is it my player (Panasonic RP-56) or the disc? Does it bother you, or am I just nit-picking? [​IMG]

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Hmmm. I wish my copy did that!
    [​IMG]

3. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my Saving Private Ryan DVD does the same thing.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Saving Priavte Ryan goes to the menu after selecting DTS. But Jurassic Park & The Lost World go straight to the movie after selecting DTS.

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

My disc goes to the 'select dd/dts' first. Then I think the Dreamworks screen might pop up and then go to the menu. It doesn't go directly to the movie.

A lot of Dreamworks discs have the Dreamworks intro and then the menu. Then you play the movie and get another Dreamworks intro. Weird.

6. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

From what I've read here, non-DTS receivers could mistake the DTS track for PCM track and try to play it... which may blow your speakers....
    At least thats the explanation for the Audio Menu. They don't want non-DTS receivers accidentally playing a DTS track.
    On a side note, my DTS-Haunting goes from the audio-menu to the main-menu, though it is the Canadian version. I don't know if that makes a difference. Its probobly my best audio DEMO, but lately I'll use the Haunting clip from the DTS Demo#4 instead of the actual movie... Its not like I actually want to watch it!! [​IMG]

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I actually like the idea of forcing you to go to the audio setup menu, especially on a DTS/DD disc...that way, you dont accidently forget to choose the best sound track.

More than once, I have gotten to the plane crash sequence in Fight Club before I realized I've been watching the movie in Dolby 2.0, because that disc defaults to 2.0 instead of 5.1.

I've gotten used to always going into the setup menu on a disc before playing it, but in my opinion, the menu should be used for accessing the other features of the disc, if after the FBI warnings, they took you to the audio selection menu, and then straight to the movie, it would eliminate everything else, and if I wanted to see the menu, I could just hit the menu button.