What's new

"The Haunting" DTS ES (WOW!) (Merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Played about 40 minutes of The Haunting on my Pioneer last night after reading about this. As I previously posted, the Pioneer won't display 6.1 Discrete for this disc but will for Gladiator etc.

There are certain scenes where sounds very definitely and distinctly come solely from the rear center--doors closing about 15 minutes into the film.

If this isn't discrete, it's amazingly good matrix!!

Back in the 50s, when tv itself was pretty new and "please stand by" was frequently seen on tv screens, conventional wisdom was that if one channel was messed up but others were ok the problem wasn't with your set.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
My Denon 5803 displays discrete for Gladiator & Haunting, matrix for T2. As a matter of fact, it displays Matrix on the Haunting DVD when the DTS logo is playing, then switches to discrete when the movie itself starts.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I know this is a reference DVD for sound. How is it as a disk.. ie how is the video, movie and are there any supplements? The reviews of this are probably a few years old I would imagine.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Well, since you asked . . .

It's a terrible, terrible, terrible movie. So bad that even the most superlative treatment on disc can't redeem it.

M.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
This movie is god awful. I saw it at a dollar theater back in 99 and was mad I wasted a buck on it. However, the DVD is outstanding. The extras are slim but nothing too bad. THe video quality overall is excellent, although good ammt of grain/noise throughout.

The sound on the other hand...my god! This is the king of bass on DVD as far as I have found. The only reason I own this DVD is for demo purposes. It is kinda like the secret weapon. I show all my normal demo stuff, like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, U571 and whatnot. But if the person is still like "Oh, its not that impressive. Digital Sound sucks!" I throw this baby in. Kinda like my backup. After a few minutes of this disc, and me reminding them that I have the volume level 5lower than anything else, and they kinda just sit there in awe at the bowel loosenting bass.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
This is a terrible film. Awful cliched dialogue, characters and plot. Not at all scary, not even in a Temple of Doom PG-13 style way. Performances, apart from Lili Taylor, are dreadful. On the plus side the set design is gobsmackingly good and the sfx are effective if not always convincing. The dvd transfer itself is very good.

But that dts though...cor blimey it's fantastic. Unfortunately, I have to watch it in the afternoon when the neighbours are out in order to appreciate it, thereby rendering the film even less scary because it isn't dark enough (even with blackout curtains). Roll on the long, gloomy winter days.

Like seemingly everyone, I bought it solely for the dts, and that aspect doesn't disappoint, but everything else does. Get it if you're flush and it seems cheap to you.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Neil, you have plenty of DTS discs. For a much better cinema experience, please look instead into purchasing Warner's recent and excellent release of the 1963 Robert Wise-directed The Haunting, which is the gold standard of "ghost movies." (Not a plug, but check out my review of it.)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of Mr Briggs fine recommendation of the original, if you want a demo disc, this one does NOT dissapoint. And No you can't have enough DTS discs ;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, 24 bit remixed track will wreck havoc with all 8 speakers (yes, I know there's only 7 active channels so far) if you're not careful with the sound levels. There's below 20 Hz (even to subsonic frequency) bass everywhere you turn!!!

It is the bass standard, not The Phantom Menace or U-571.

Terrible movie, however.

Dan

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
It should be clear by now that such aspects are essentially considered irrelevant for this film. It's nearly impossible to see it spoken of as much more than a technical exercise in sound design.
Its very frustrating to watch.

The sound is FANTASTIC. Probobly the best demo ever.

The video is equally fantastic. Super clean print, no artifacts, no EE, minimal DNR, super sharp. Simply great.

The cinematography is also spectacular. The colors, sets, lighting, mood was perfect.

Direction was great, as far as pacing, and flow.

Technically, the film is the perfect Home Theater Demo, but the story and acting is hard to explain. Its REALLY bad. It seems to have gotten the short end of the stick.

Its too bad because it had the potential to really be a great movie.

Anyway, great DEMO. I got mine off Ebay for $2! (It wasnt marked as DTS, but I could tell by the picture).

EDIT: The extra are pretty weak though. Only a lame featurette and some trailers. There were rumors of a commentary and deleted scenes, but they never made it to the DVD.... and I don't expect to see a SPECIAL EDITON... ever.

nick

Craig W

Second Unit
The movie is not that bad when taken for what it is. If you go into it expecting it to be on the level of Robert Wise's version then you are going to be very dissappointed.

Mickey P

Agent
I did not mind the movie either! I kinda liked it. Ive watched it four times, I dont get why everyone hates it! But then I like all Costners movies so I guess there is no explaining tastes. Waterworld, Dances With Wolves,Wyatt Earp and The Postman are some of my favorite movies!

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I liked it also. It was nothing to write home about. I can think of far worse films released in 99 than The Haunting remake.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just received this disc after it was re-released a week or two ago. I bought it because I heard so much about the gobs of bass on it! So, any scenes in particular to check out?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Coming Mommie or something like that - she's running down the hall and the father ghost is chasing from above and the ceiling is being crushed with footsteps - way big bass!

An SVS ultra or something like it will move things in your room if you have it cranked.

have fun

e

GregBe

Second Unit
I think the fact that this movie is so terrible is great. Hopefully all of the movie studios take note that even though this movie is bad, there are so many people buying it for the bass and DTS/ES channel. If people are willing to purchase and demo this disc, why shouldn't all movies put more emphasis on sound design and bass. I think that in the future all movies in all genres will continue to improve in this area as home theaters become a given in any living room.

By the way, I thought this movie was actually kinda fun if you don't take it too seriously and expect to be scared.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks