What's new

THE HAUNTING [1963] OCT15. (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Warner Brother's new blu-ray of THE HAUNTING arrived today.

The audio is significantly improved, brighter, punchier and more present. This is how the film should sound.

The transfer is also improved. It has more detail and texture, and is more film-like than either the laser-disc or the DVD.

I wish it were a 4K transfer instead of a 2K, but no complaints.

Criticism is called for in how the film is supplemented and being promoted, however, which is to say, it's not being promoted at all. Warner Home Video has released the blu-ray on the 50th Anniversary of the film's theatrical release, but they don't point this out. They don't add anything new to the supplements. No liner notes to recount the history of this important film and the influence it has had. Worse, and inexcusably, no effort is made to tell us about the alternative edit that played in England or to show us that footage. There are a couple of lazy jerks at Warner Home Video who go overboard for their personal favorites and ignore everything else, but I won't mention their names.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Belatedly watched this as my Halloween movie plans were derailed. Looks and sounds great. Not happy they dropped the stills gallery that was on the DVD. (That had pages from the shooting script.) Have to keep my old disc for those, and I almost gave it away!

Never noticed before there is a missing frame in the scene where they are preparing for Nell to leave Hill House. Look at Theo lowering the suitcase in slow motion. It's on the DVD too, so I don't think it's a video flaw or anything.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That we got this on Blu-ray at all from a Warner Bros. who are seriously cutting back on catalog releases is, to me, miraculous and I thank them for giving it to us. I will stop on that positive note and let a few months elapse before asking for the other titles I hope they can squeeze out during 2014.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Dick said:
That we got this on Blu-ray at all from a Warner Bros. who are seriously cutting back on catalog releases is, to me, miraculous and I thank them for giving it to us. I will stop on that positive note and let a few months elapse before asking for the other titles I hope they can squeeze out during 2014.
Dick said:
I hope Warner can squeeze out the following in 2014---THE GREAT RACE----RYANS DAUGHTER---WIND AND THE LION---LOCAL HERO--- MICHAEL COLLINS----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN-----GOODBYE MR CHIPS---GOODBYE GIRL----PACIFIC HEIGHTS---WHOS AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?---ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---SHOOT THE MOON.----FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD.----HEAVEN AND EARTH.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Does anyone else feel the brightness level is way too high on this transfer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks