THE HAUNTING [1963] OCT15.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Bluray.com said Warner is releasing this Robert Wise film in October.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Good news.

The definitive haunted house film. A true masterpiece. A clinic in composition and editing. I can't wait to see it in hi-def.

Haunting-1963-MGM-LifeOne.jpg

Haunting-1963-MGM-one.jpg

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
For me, not as good as The Innocents. But still an absolutely first rate scary ghost story, and an excellent psychological thriller.

Day one purchase for me.

Quick question - this has come up elsewhere - a British film or American?

I think it depends on what criteria you use to classify it.

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yorkshire said:
For me, not as good as The Innocents. But still an absolutely first rate scary ghost story, and an excellent psychological thriller.

Day one purchase for me.

Quick question - this has come up elsewhere - a British film or American?

I think it depends on what criteria you use to classify it.

Steve W
Just because it was filmed in England, doesn't make it a British film. The companies that produced this film were American. It's premiere opening was in NYC. IMO, this is unlike Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai in which arguments can be made as to it being a British film or even an American film since those two films were made by joint British/American companies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Isn't the UK version the same as the USA, i watched it in widescreen on TV a few years back here in the UK but can't remember if it included those scenes listed at IMDB, it does say it differs from general release prints so i assume that possibly the Edinburgh showing was a one off, Robert Wise would have had a say in all this, he did after all prevent Ted Turner from adding colour to it.

Having said all that, i see the original cinema version passed at the BBFC with a running time of 114 minutes and 12 seconds, not 112 minutes, maybe we did get a slightly longer UK cut of the film, it looks like the DVD editions are the 112 minute cut though as they run 107 minutes and 14 seconds after PAL speedup is taken into account.

I also see it passed the BBFC office with an X certificate in March 1963, did it really open in North America first, why would they wait six months after UK classification to release it to cinemas, i'm going to Google this.

I couldn't find out the release date in the UK so i guess things were just different in 1963 with regards classification or the BBFC website got the dates wrong, i doubt it's the latter, i'm going to have to pay attention the next time the BBC shows the film and see if we have a longer cut and then i'll get annoyed when Warner gives us the shorter cut of the film. :lol:

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Crawford said:
Just because it was filmed in England, doesn't make it a British film. The companies that produced this film were American. It's premiere opening was in NYC. IMO, this is unlike Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai in which arguments can be made as to it being a British film or even an American film since those two films were made by joint British/American companies.
But I think it was made by a British subsidiary of MGM, which makes it murky. MGM are American, the subsidiary was British.

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yorkshire said:
But I think it was made by a British subsidiary of MGM, which makes it murky. MGM are American, the subsidiary was British.

Steve W
Sorry dude, it's an American film produced by an American director's production company about a film with an American ghost story. However, if you want it to be British then it can be for you.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Crawford said:
Sorry dude, it's an American film produced by an American director's production company about a film with an American ghost story. However, if you want it to be British then it can be for you.
"Dude"? :D

I don't 'want' it to be British, it doesn't bother me in the least, in that respect, it's just that the topic came up.

The BFI has it as an American/British co-production (note - it lists other Argly Enterprises releases as American, so they clearly think something extra is going on here).

I think the technically correct way to attach a nationality to a film is to follow the money. The money for The Haunting came from MGM Borehamwood and the tax breaks from the Eady Levy, which effectively means it was co-produced by the British government.

Now, stop it with this 'dude' nonesense before we both turn into hippies, start smoking naughty cigarettes, and listening to Trout Mask Replica. Where will it ever end? Calling each other 'man'? ;)

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yorkshire said:
"Dude"? :D

I don't 'want' it to be British, it doesn't bother me in the least, in that respect, it's just that the topic came up.

The BFI has it as an American/British co-production (note - it lists other Argly Enterprises releases as American, so they clearly think something extra is going on here).

I think the technically correct way to attach a nationality to a film is to follow the money. The money for The Haunting came from MGM Borehamwood and the tax breaks from the Eady Levy, which effectively means it was co-produced by the British government.

Now, stop it with this 'dude' nonesense before we both turn into hippies, start smoking naughty cigarettes, and listening to Trout Mask Replica. Where will it ever end? Calling each other 'man'? ;)

Steve W
Like I said have it your way, but it's an American film to me as American Film Institute has stated with Robert Wise's Argyle production company financed by MGM.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wasn't expecting the announcement, so I was quite pleased to see it. Looking forward to this wonderful film in high def.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Like the best ghost stories, The Haunting is less about the ghosts than the psychology of those encountering them. Robert Wise understood that so well, which is why this one remains so potent on screen despite nothing much of physical consequence really occurring. He also had enough savvy to let the pace follow its own recursive and reflective course, creating a tragic, chilling mood throughout...finding more drama in the anticipation than manifestation. And of course, his production team got all the trappings right: The set design. The lighting. The sound. All an assured cut above.

So I'm very grateful Warners is finally bringing this baby to a format where it can be fully appreciated. Another of my short list genre faves finally receiving the presentation level it fully deserves. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Reactions: Richard--W

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A wonderful film. Does anyone ever get a little depressed watching it? It may be a ghost story, but it's also a tragedy.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Been waiting for this to arrive on Blu-ray for years. Good news for this is one of my favorite ghost stories and it gives me chills every time I watch it. Looking forward to a great Warner transfer. Also agree The Innocents would be great to come out at about the same time (Hello Fox). And how about Criterion giving us The Uninvited. That would make a great October.

Reactions: Professor Echo

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never did see this one so I look forward to blind buying it. This has been a pretty great year for horror and exploitation fans!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
It would be truly an outstanding year for classic horror fans if Criterion, TCM, or Universal themselves would consider getting off the pot and releasing a BD of THE UNINVITED this October in time for the ghostly holiday. Still, I'm very excited that THE HAUNTING is coming our way in HD. THE INNOCENTS blu-ray from U.K. is quite a lovely transfer, too, and one of my favorites. Still, there is a certain magic to that 1944 Ray Milland film that is quite unique. It plays on TCM constantly and had a nice Laserdisc pressing some years ago as well as a VHS, which I still have. There's been no American DVD release of it at all, so far. A British one came out a year or so ago, but the image quality is not the greatest. I read that it was on the "possibility list" over at Criterion, so I'm crossing my fingers we may see it someday.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakiratbneha