What's new

"The Haunting" (1963) DVD: aspect ratio question. (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Can anyone tell me why Warner Bros. is releasing The Haunting (1963) this August only in a "Full Frame" edition? I'm positive this was shot in CinemaScope or Panavision in B/W. I had the Laserdisc some years ago and remember it distinctly. This release can only spoil Robert Wise's carefully composed shots and really lessen the experience of a great film (blows the remake out of the water!).

I thought the studios and DVD producers were getting the message at last about aspect ratios and related matters in transfers. I would hope Warners gets the message and includes a proper widescreen transfer as well!

Wake up!!!:angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're receiving erroneous information. This classic is being presented in its 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio, and the DVD is 16:9-encoded. Check out the specifications at The Laser's Edge.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Happy to hear that Jack!

However, someone should tell DVDPlanet, where I shop. As this is one of the biggest outlets for DVDs, I'm very surprised this "goof" got through. I've never encountered one before. Am I just lucky?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're just lucky which is why I check several sources for dvd release information.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It was circulating on some newsgroups that this would be P&S-only.

Since WB has never released a P&S-only DVD of a 2.35:1 film, I find it funny that some think they'd start the trend with The Haunting. It's just not the kind of film you'd start that with. Maybe Scooby-Doo, but not this.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Careful DVD buyers, who always check www.dvdpricesearch.com first before buying any DVD, are really being misled in droves. Because DVD Price Search is indicating ONLY a 4:3 format on The Haunting (1963) disc too! Unfortunate misinformation for widescreen purchasers. :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Patrick: Why would anyone think that WB would suddenly issue a 1.33:1 pan and scam of a scope film on DVD?

DVD e-tailers are, in my opinion, not the first-and-only place to check for DVD specifications!

There is a thread on the August 5th Warner Bros horror/sci-fi DVDs with all the relevant information! :)

Great film, by the way. Long-awaited on DVD, and I'm glad that it is getting a decent DVD. I'm really looking forward to Warner and MGM's August releases! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

thread

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I would never have recognized that Warner has never issued a P&S version of a scope film, had you not told me that. WB has such a terrible reputation already for doing P&S only versions of widescreen films, overmatting and cropping with abandon, that this kind of violence to the aspect ratio seems to be second nature to them. Why they would stop at 2.35:1 is beyond me, since they don't seem to care about the integrity of the picture otherwise.:angry:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I would never have recognized that Warner has never issued a P&S version of a scope film, had you not told me that. WB has such a terrible reputation already for doing P&S only versions of widescreen films, overmatting and cropping with abandon, that this kind of violence to the aspect ratio seems to be second nature to them. Why they would stop at 2.35:1 is beyond me, since they don't seem to care about the integrity of the picture otherwise.
I think exaggeration is the key here. I didn't research a lot, but WB only seems to have less than 50 titles that are currently P&S-only. Caddyshack, Driving Miss Daisy, and Bonnie & Clyde have been replaced with matted editions. Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation have matted versions coming before the end of the year. Turner's one-and-only P&S title, A Christmas Story, will be getting its special edition in Q4 2003. Chariots of Fire will be looked at for 2004. Plus, they've been clean since 1999, save for the screwups Warner Family made.

Even when WB eventually replaces their bargain blunders, they'll still be hated. It's sad since they're likely to be the best studio for pre-1980 films, period.

I hope I'm wrong, but this thread probably has gotten some people to not purchase The Haunting on DVD just because of the title. If any admin are reading this, how about changing it to "not cropped" to avoid confusing any more people?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It only takes a subtle edit.

People, this DVD deserves your support. It is being presented in the theatrical aspect ratio Robert Wise intended. Rest easy. And, remember: What walks inside your home theater ... walks alone.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Even when WB eventually replaces their bargain blunders, they'll still be hated. It's sad since they're likely to be the best studio for pre-1980 films, period.
Well said. :emoji_thumbsup:

[whine]"Ooh, Warner only use snappers - I hate them!"

"They don't do anamorphic 1.66:1 - I hate them!"

"They don't do DTS - I hate them!"[/whine]

Okay, granted, they are not 'perfect', but for quantity and quality of pre-1990 films, they are the best DVD company out there - just look at what we have been blessed with in the last year! I thought thad we'd never see films like Start The Revolution Without Me (superb DVD, BTW) and Day For Night on DVD - and treated so well, I may add. Any other studio would have put films like those out bare-boned for the same or higher price.

If any studio needs severe, ongoing negative criticism, it is Universal, for they are the studio that puts in the least effort, which is perhaps understandable to some degree, given their current finacial situation, but nevertheless, there output is still very poor: the Sgt. Pepper etc, batch? What was that?! Meanwhile, Warner, MGM, Paramount and Fox are all pumping out great DVDs of classic films! :D

Some people are far to harsh on Warner's 'mistakes' and 'failings'.

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks