"The Haunting" (1963) DVD: aspect ratio question.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles_Y, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    Can anyone tell me why Warner Bros. is releasing The Haunting (1963) this August only in a "Full Frame" edition? I'm positive this was shot in CinemaScope or Panavision in B/W. I had the Laserdisc some years ago and remember it distinctly. This release can only spoil Robert Wise's carefully composed shots and really lessen the experience of a great film (blows the remake out of the water!).

I thought the studios and DVD producers were getting the message at last about aspect ratios and related matters in transfers. I would hope Warners gets the message and includes a proper widescreen transfer as well!

Wake up!!![​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You're receiving erroneous information. This classic is being presented in its 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio, and the DVD is 16:9-encoded. Check out the specifications at The Laser's Edge.

3. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    Happy to hear that Jack!

However, someone should tell DVDPlanet, where I shop. As this is one of the biggest outlets for DVDs, I'm very surprised this "goof" got through. I've never encountered one before. Am I just lucky?

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You're just lucky which is why I check several sources for dvd release information.

Crawdaddy

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It was circulating on some newsgroups that this would be P&S-only.

Since WB has never released a P&S-only DVD of a 2.35:1 film, I find it funny that some think they'd start the trend with The Haunting. It's just not the kind of film you'd start that with. Maybe Scooby-Doo, but not this.

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Careful DVD buyers, who always check www.dvdpricesearch.com first before buying any DVD, are really being misled in droves. Because DVD Price Search is indicating ONLY a 4:3 format on The Haunting (1963) disc too! Unfortunate misinformation for widescreen purchasers. [​IMG]

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I'm with Patrick: Why would anyone think that WB would suddenly issue a 1.33:1 pan and scam of a scope film on DVD?

DVD e-tailers are, in my opinion, not the first-and-only place to check for DVD specifications!

There is a thread on the August 5th Warner Bros horror/sci-fi DVDs with all the relevant information! [​IMG]

Great film, by the way. Long-awaited on DVD, and I'm glad that it is getting a decent DVD. I'm really looking forward to Warner and MGM's August releases! [​IMG]

Gordy

thread

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I would never have recognized that Warner has never issued a P&S version of a scope film, had you not told me that. WB has such a terrible reputation already for doing P&S only versions of widescreen films, overmatting and cropping with abandon, that this kind of violence to the aspect ratio seems to be second nature to them. Why they would stop at 2.35:1 is beyond me, since they don't seem to care about the integrity of the picture otherwise.[​IMG]

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It only takes a subtle edit.

People, this DVD deserves your support. It is being presented in the theatrical aspect ratio Robert Wise intended. Rest easy. And, remember: What walks inside your home theater ... walks alone.

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer