The Hanging Tree

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3970221
If I could find the Warner Archive DVD-R's "for a lot less than $20" I would buy more of the westerns and noirs.
Guess what, ImportCDs sells them for less than the non-sale price at WA. Below is the price of The Hanging Tree there. Just remember that WA titles coming to ImportCDs usually are more than a month later than when they'll first available on the WA site. So patience is needed to get a better deal.

http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2428101/The-Hanging-Tree-DVD

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
You mean $18. The standard Archive price is now $17.95. Because of a Labor Day sale HANGING TREE is now $14.36.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Robert, last week I bought several Olive blu-rays from ImportCD's. I will look there for Warner Archive titles.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Price-shmice. A quality movie like THT deserves a standout release -- and should be available in blu-ray. It wasn't long ago where we film lovers had an abundance of choice and competition-born pricing that enabled both the business to reap and the fans to revel. Now, those tooting the horn of MOD dvd-r can best claim "look at all the movies coming out!" and "hey, some of them are nearly as good as the releases of yesteryear!"
Here's a nice review on the Hanging Tree: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/hangingtree.php

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3976081
Price-shmice. A quality movie like THT deserves a standout release -- and should be available in blu-ray. It wasn't long ago where we film lovers had an abundance of choice and competition-born pricing that enabled both the business to reap and the fans to revel. Now, those tooting the horn of MOD dvd-r can best claim "look at all the movies coming out!" and "hey, some of them are nearly as good as the releases of yesteryear!"
Here's a nice review on the Hanging Tree: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/hangingtree.php
It wasn't long ago when the world's economy was going full tilt and people were buying HT equipment along with the video software to watch on said equipment. Now, the world's economy is barely hanging on with the market for HT stuff stagnant with Circuit City and other retailers closed down and Best Buy on the verge of going out of business so fewer venues for software purchases available to us. All that while streaming and downloading keep growing more popular.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
And yet small indies like Shout, Olive, Timeless, Criterion and Twilight are still trying to deliver something unique to film lovers -- and not necessarily inexpensive, either. Kudos to them, and to those who support them with new loyalty.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
shoeshineboy said:
And yet small indies like Shout, Olive, Timeless, Criterion and Twilight are still trying to deliver something unique to film lovers -- and not necessarily inexpensive, either. Kudos to them, and to those who support them with new loyalty.
While I, too, give kudos to Shout, Olive, Timeless, Criterion and Twilight for trying to plug holes on a sinking ship (i.e. the numbered days of physical media) and giving us alternatives to MOD programs, they are niche companies, not massive corporations (like Time Warner) responsible to their stock holders regarding profits. Do you think massive companies like Time Warner or Gulf & Western (Paramount) would be happy with the lesser profits of boutique labels? Why do you think Paramount is licensing their films out to Olive instead of releasing it themselves? This way they can make a profit simply by farming the films out without having to do any of the work. Olive has had to cancel several announced titles because the elements weren't releasable and certainly Paramount wasn't going to cough up the bucks to remaster them and neither was Olive.
And MOD isn't the enemy. It's an alternative to provide films to the classic film collector. There's room for both. But some people just can't seem to grasp that everything has changed and it will never be the way it was. As a film collector, I'm already starting to get quizzical looks from the "younger" generation of "Why would waste money buying all these movies when you can just download it or watch it on youtube for free?".

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsunamiMike