What's new

The Hanging Tree (1 Viewer)

MikeIMH

Grip
The Hanging Tree is finally coming to DVD on July 17th.
It is being released on Warner Archive.
This is surprising given it's considered a major Western, stars Gary Cooper, and has been highly desired since the introduction of DVDs.
Just saying.
Nonetheless, I am a happy camper. It's been a long wait.
Mike

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I honestly don't think that we'll ever see a new pressed title from WB. I can't t think of the last one that I bought, but it's been approximately 2 years. I used to spend $100+ per month on WB titles. They will continue to recycle their top 20 every couple years and everything else will be in the archive. This was my fear from the beginning of the archive and it's becoming more and more obvious every day. :(

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
END OF THE ROAD and the two DARK SHADOWS movies are coming from WHV on DVD or DVD/BD.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Bob Cashill said:
END OF THE ROAD and the two DARK SHADOWS movies are coming from WHV on DVD or DVD/BD.
You busted me already! :D
That said, I've never heard of "End of the Road", and have only a mild interest in the "Dark Shadows" movies, so I won't be ordering any of those. In the meantime, I've seen dozens and dozens of films that I would have gladly purchased go to the archive. I figure that some day, they will start a streaming service or partner with an existing one (HULU or Netflix) and then I can finally watch some of those titles. In the meantime, I'll continue to send my expendable income to Criterion, Olive, and other studios that produce product more to my liking.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well don't forget the two WAC Forbidden Hollywood volumes released Wednesday will start out as pressed discs and when exhausted, then go to DVDr. Very similar to the Universal/TCM vault series.

This has to count as pressed discs

Also since WAC said they would certainly press some of the titles that have the possibility of acceptable sales numbers, THE HANGING TREE might be one of the pressed titles. Only time will tell.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
ahollis said:
Well don't forget the two WAC Forbidden Hollywood volumes released Wednesday will start out as pressed discs and when exhausted, then go to DVDr.  Very similar to the Universal/TCM vault series. 
This has to count as pressed discs:)
Also since WAC said they would certainly press some of the titles that have the possibility of acceptable sales numbers, THE HANGING TREE might be one of the pressed titles.  Only time will tell. 
I was just commenting on this in another thread. I'm very excited about this possibility. However, I went to the Archive website and there is ZERO mention of anything regarding pressed discs. I'm not going to place an order and hope that I'm one of the lucky ones. They need to have a system in place that tells the consumer what they are buying. If I thought I was getting a pressed disc and received a DVD-R, I would scream "I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!":D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3948357
I was just commenting on this in another thread. I'm very excited about this possibility. However, I went to the Archive website and there is ZERO mention of anything regarding pressed discs. I'm not going to place an order and hope that I'm one of the lucky ones. They need to have a system in place that tells the consumer what they are buying. If I thought I was getting a pressed disc and received a DVD-R, I would scream "I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"
They really have not announced anything except in the NEW YORK POST article. I know my CRIME DOES NOT PAY short collection is pressed as is CHAN AND THE CHAN GANG. I was hoping that the second MAISIE collection would be pressed, but alas not. The Post article did say both Forbidden Hollywood collections would be pressed. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

I don't have a problem with DVD-R, but I certainly respect your opinion and you have no argument from me, so I see how you would be very disgruntled expecting something and not getting it. Hopefully as the pressed discs program expands they will give us a heads up.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I personally suspect that they will only be pressing select multi-disc sets due to the greater economical advantage of pressing vs MOD in manufacturing those sorts of sets. I'm really not expecting them to press single disc releases.
I buy the multi-disc sets because they are a better bargain compared to their single-movie releases. I didn't even notice the Crime Does Not Pay collection was pressed until I already went through two discs of material a week later. Interestingly, the pressed discs done by the WAC still say "MOD disc" in the fine print.
As for The Hanging Tree, it should be a very nice looking disc. It's going to be a new transfer from recently discovered elements, so that alone should be cause for optimism.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3948427
I personally suspect that they will only be pressing select multi-disc sets due to the greater economical advantage of pressing vs MOD in manufacturing those sorts of sets. I'm really not expecting them to press single disc releases.
I buy the multi-disc sets because they are a better bargain compared to their single-movie releases. I didn't even notice the Crime Does Not Pay collection was pressed until I already went through two discs of material a week later. Interestingly, the pressed discs done by the WAC still say "MOD disc" in the fine print.
As for The Hanging Tree, it should be a very nice looking disc. It's going to be a new transfer from recently discovered elements, so that alone should be cause for optimism.
Joe you are right. I went back and re-read the NYP article and it specifically said it would be used for multi-disc sets as a time saver. So I guess we can look forward to more Vitaphone shorts, Pete Smith shorts and others on pressed discs. That is something to look forward too.

I already have a pre-order in for THE HANGING TREE and look forward to watching it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Has anyone watched this MOD?
Please comment on the quality of the transfer etc.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
DVD Savant review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3946tree.html

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3966839
Has anyone watched this MOD?
Please comment on the quality of the transfer etc.
When it first came out I bought and viewed the disc in its entirety. I thought the presentation was okay as no remastering was obviously done with my eyes.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3966863
thank you, Bob.
The review convinced me.
I just bought it.
After viewing it, please post your thoughts about the disc.

Crawdaddy

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sure, I'll do that.
I've always thought The Hanging Tree is one of the best westerns of the 1950s, and that's saying a lot. But I've every print I've seen is in sorry shape. TCM aired the best print but that was nothing to brag about.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
It's always interesting to see movies of this caliber come out on MOD only, at the same time that other very obscure titles one would never expect to see are being announced by other companies for release on Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
 After viewing it, please post your thoughts about the disc.
Crawdaddy
I think your own assessment is about right: I thought the presentation was okay as no remastering was obviously done with my eyes.
I don't think the picture quality in general is much better than OK although one or two moments do look really good.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Robert Crawford said:
 ...  I thought the presentation was okay as no remastering was obviously done with my eyes. 
Crawdaddy
Color me happy. THE HANGING TREE has been unavailable for a long time, and I'm just glad to have it in a widescreen, anamorphic, uncut transfer from an element in reasonably good quality. I've never seen the film look this clean and clear. I like everything about it -- it has one of the fullest and strongest western stories of the decade, an unusual pictorial location in Oregon, outstanding photography, an authentic mining town set, period costumes more accurate than usual, and first-rate characterizations from each and every supporting player. Who doesn't fall in love with Maria Schell in this film?
Delmer Daves always chose the best material for his westerns. His westerns are the equal of those directed by Anthony Mann, Budd Boetticher and John Sturges. In THE HANGING TREE he surpasses them. Anyone who has read the novels by the late educator Dorothy M. Johnson knows her stories were well-researched and true to frontier life and conditions. Her work, which includes The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and A Man Called Horse, among others is also respected literature. Under Daves direction THE HANGING TREE is one of the finest and most memorable westerns of the 1950s. There is poignant drama and satisfying western action. Dr. Frail is a dark and edgy character, and Gary Cooper plays him with well-modulated, pitch-perfect conviction. Think about the character's name for a minute. Frail.
This is one DVD-R I don't mind paying the $20 for.
HangingTree-1959-WB-half.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/322221/the-hanging-tree#post_3970129
Color me happy. THE HANGING TREE has been unavailable for a long time, and I'm just glad to have it in a widescreen, anamorphic, uncut transfer from an element in reasonably good quality. I've never seen the film look this clean and clear. I like everything about it -- it has one of the fullest and strongest western stories of the decade, an unusual pictorial location in Oregon, outstanding photography, an authentic mining town set, period costumes more accurate than usual, and first-rate characterizations from each and every supporting player. Who doesn't fall in love with Maria Schell in this film?
This is one DVD-R I don't mind paying the $20 for.
I bought this title on sale for a lot less than $20, but I'm happy with it as it's better having it on DVD disc than not having it at all.

Crawdaddy

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
If I could find the Warner Archive DVD-R's "for a lot less than $20" I would buy more of the westerns and noirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks