What's new

The Halloween Movies (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I think H20 is truly abysmal. The worst of the series bar none. The only good thing about this film was the very end, but with Resurrection, the ending goes down the shitter to join the rest of the film. I don't even like thinking about this one.

Part 5 isn't much better. We get saddled with one of the most annoying leads ever in that Tina girl, and Myers chasing Jaime around his house in the latter half of the film becomes old real fast. The barn sequence towards the middle of the film just meanders along for what feels like ages. I also love how the hermit at the beginning just lets Michael lay there for a whole year. He doesn't call a hospital or the cops, he just leaves him there in the background. Aside from the mysterious guy with the black boots, there's nothing interesting here, and there certainly isn't anything remotely exciting.

Then there's Part 2, which I stated my dislike for earlier.

I think the above three are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to this series. Yes, I'd even rather watch Resurrection than any of these.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

The upshot here is that for any future HD versions of HALLOWEEN, Anchor Bay could easily take their 1080P High-Definition master tape- with all it's wonderful detail and the cleaned up image- and do a tape-to-tape color correction a la what Robert Harris did with the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Super-Bit in order to replicate the Dean Cundey-approved color values of the 1999 release. There's really no reason for them not to do this for HALLOWEEN's eventual HD version, the question is will they bother to?

Vincent

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
OMG, Resurrection with Busta Rhymes?! At least you didn't see LL Cool J act all "kung fu" on Michael Myers! :thumbsdown:

Greg Black

Second Unit
Any word on those Divimax versions of Halloween 4 and 5? It's cutting it a little close if Anchor Bay was to release this in time for Halloween... I'm a little worried. These were announced at the same time as the new Evil Dead II edition, right?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I vaguely remember talk of a Halloween 4 and 5 re-release, but I don't recall ever seeing an actual press release. I've been getting press release emails recently, and haven't seen anything.

For what it's worth, I think they both look pretty good already. What really needs an upgrade is H20 (though that would be from Miramax/Dimension).

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

Yes, I don't think there's any hope in seeing them released this year. We're already in the middle of September and they're not even mentioned on Anchor Bay's site. Most DVDs go up for pre-order 2-3 months before their release. I'm guessing this is also the case with the Halloween 1-8 documentary disc because it's not listed on the site either. I don't understand why these were delayed and by (most likely) a whole year to boot. Why do some studios think they can only release horror titles during the fall? What would be wrong with releasing them in first quarter 2006? And if Anchor Bay knew these three discs weren't going to be ready for release by Fall 2005, why were they dropping hints and rumors so early? All that does is disappoint. The same thing happened with the Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) 2-Disc Set from MPI Home Video/Dark Sky Films. It was rumored for a Fall 2005 release and now it's being considered for Fall 2006. :angry: :thumbsdown: And there's absolutely no excuse because everything being included on this release was completed long ago. The 16x9 transfer was produced by Don May, Jr. in 2003 for the VOOM HD Network. The new commentary track (with David Gregory, Marilyn Burns, Paul Partain, Bob Burns, and Allen Danziger) was recorded in November 2003. The Shocking Truth documentary was produced in 2000. But they went and delayed it anyway.:rolleyes

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The Divimax 25th Anniversary of "Halloween" was released sometime during the summer. Hopefully it won't be quite an entire year for the others to surface.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
You mean all 8 films thrown together on 5 discs with a few quick extra features? ;)

A boxset won't happen because Anchor Bay owns 1, 4 and 5, Universal owns 2 and 3, and Dimension films owns 6, 7, and 8. Any future sequels are to be released through the new "Dimension Films" the weinstein's are developing (scary movie 4 is the first film they're releasing, I believe)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Just saying it would be nice if they put together a box set with all the features the fans deserve. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm sorry, I must ask this, what exactly is wrong with the Friday the 13th set? :confused:

Good transfers, commentaries, decent features, including a catch-up doc with past victims, including one of my favorite victims Larry Zerner, also some really good interviews as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I think people's main problem with the F13 set is that they wanted more. I liked what was on the set but I wish there was more too. Such as commenatries on all the movies, uncut versions of the MPAA censored ones (especially the original since it's already legitimately available in other regions), more docs, etc.

Unfortunately, Paramount is never going to spend the money or effort to release uncut versions of the movies. Yeah, I know Don May would have tried to find the footage for free but it would still cost them money to get the footage to a presentable level. Unfortunately, Paramount doesn't care about F13 series and don't want to put money into it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If the main complaint is lack of unrated versions, than the detractors of the set aren't evaluating it fairly. It is a set that represents the theatrical cuts, and that it does very well.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
My big problem with IV is that the mask just ain't scary looking. The original altered C. Kirk mask from I and II scared the crap out of me. The V mask was better but they never got the mask looking right again. I have 2 "maskmaker productions" Myers masks which look phenomenal. They should have let someone like that make the later masks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The sad thing, Dave, is that anyone can easily convert a cheap looking Myers mask into a reproduction of the original with some trimming and air brushing. The filmmakers could have done this but didn't make the effort.

There is a site called Myersmask.com where countless members have done this to masks that can be bought in stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks